• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla Chargers & 3rd Party Adapters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
The Tesla ToS clearly state that charging on their network with "3rd party adapters" may result in the vehicle being blacklisted. But I also see many folks using the A2Z and Lectron adapters. So is the risk legitimate?
Sponsored

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
I suppose that would depend on it there's any electronics in the adapter, and if some sort of digital handshare takes place.

Some folks on here have already charged with A2Z and we haven't seen any followup posts about them getting black listed. IMO it's not worth the risk. I have no desire to buy a third party device when Ford is going to ship me a genuine one for free.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
if A2Z had 2-day shipping I'd snag one today. Seems like the Ford/Tesla free adapters will get to you sooner at this point.

johnnyonetime

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I ordered the A2Z adapter because Ford won’t ship mine until May.
I’ll take the risk.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Will they know you're charging with a 3rd party adaptor? Probably not, after the approved ones are in the publics hands more.

Will Tesla hold you responsible if they can prove you were using an unapproved adaptor and damage occurred to their charger? They could. Same way they could not accept responsibility if your vehicle is damaged.

It's a decision each person is going to have to make for themselves.

Sponsored

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
The Tesla ToS clearly state that charging on their network with "3rd party adapters" may result in the vehicle being blacklisted. But I also see many folks using the A2Z and Lectron adapters. So is the risk legitimate?
Where did you hear blacklisted? Which Tesla TOS?

Frankhpns

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired military
I don't see anything about being blacklisted only this statement.
Third-Party Adapter Policy
To avoid risk of serious injury and property damage, users of Tesla charging stations may only use adapters sold or provided by Tesla or by other automakers in the United States. Your use of any other adapter with Tesla’s charging stations is strictly prohibited.

Frankhpns

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired military
This is what the agreement states.
Third-Party Adapter Policy
To avoid risk of serious injury and property damage, users of Tesla charging stations may only use adapters sold or provided by Tesla or by other automakers in the United States. Your use of any other adapter with Tesla’s charging stations is strictly prohibited.

thunderbayterry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
IT
I suppose that would depend on it there's any electronics in the adapter, and if some sort of digital handshare takes place.

Some folks on here have already charged with A2Z and we haven't seen any followup posts about them getting black listed. IMO it's not worth the risk. I have no desire to buy a third party device when Ford is going to ship me a genuine one for free.
I was considering the A2Z one only because Ford said my ship date is AUGUST (and for the record, I got on the list on February 29th when the news dropped, it took me all day to get through though) .

But if there is ANY risk of getting black listed I will definitely just find a way to be patient! In my area (NW Ontario and Northern Minnesota) I'm going to be depending on Tesla superchargers.
Sponsored