• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

TESLA Adapters for our Lightnings - Coming When?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I hope I am wrong, time will tell :)
Respectfully, I hope you are, too!

I'm guessing they'll charge us for them, but there's not much precedent for it. The complete radio silence from Tesla and Ford is frustrating, but I have confidence it'll happen. I paid $225 for a CCS adapter for my Model Y last year, and I wouldn't mind doing likewise for this if it comes to it.
Sponsored

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Respectfully, I hope you are, too!

I'm guessing they'll charge us for them, but there's not much precedent for it. The complete radio silence from Tesla and Ford is frustrating, but I have confidence it'll happen. I paid $225 for a CCS adapter for my Model Y last year, and I wouldn't mind doing likewise for this if it comes to it.

Now Ford just needs to reduce charging times ...

Reactions: GDN

ThomasNC

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Government
Tesla doesn't NEED to work with any other manufacturer to open up Supercharger access. Tesla V3 and V4 Superchargers already support CCS so a simple software change and physical adapter means any car that could activate the charger could charge. What sort of behind the scenes agreements they have is a whole other issue, but the technical side is essentially already taken care of, as this was planned back to the introduction of V3 Superchargers.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I'm hoping that by the time we have the Tesla Supercharger NACS 'magic box' adapter locations available to many more locations around the country, the idea of carrying around a special 'adapter' will no longer be necessary ...

although Tesla owners will continue to need an adapter to CCS stations, themselves...
at least until those charge providers start adding NACS ... which will probably take MUCH longer...

eRock77

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Pro--1995 Exploder--1929 A Super Coupe
My money says Tesla sticks with the Magic Dock only setup. They will be activated only through Fordpass or (insert other proprietary EV software here). That way they can ALWAYS control how many chargers at each site are available to non-Tesla people, and reserve as many of their fastest and best chargers for their own clients as they like. Oh, and also they get the government money. There is no way to lose!

The last thing they want is for some cheap Chinese adapter to melt and start a fire at a Tesla branded charging facility. News at 11!

Sponsored

deserthi

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Tech
Also, if the adapter we get doesn't consist of a cable extension then it is going to be a pain to use it with our trucks port so far away.

ThomasNC

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Government
Also, if the adapter we get doesn't consist of a cable extension then it is going to be a pain to use it with our trucks port so far away.
Very very unlikely we see any kind of extension. The chargers push around 400 amps so they either have to have massive cables or actively cooled cables.

husky10101

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 diesel & 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
WILL THE VORTEX TESLA SUPERCHARGER TO CCS ADAPTER WORK ? YOU CAN ORDER IT NOW AT THERE WEBSITE FOR $199.00 ?
I just sold a Tesla and bought the Lightning. As of now the only Tesla superchargers that are programed to charge the Ford are the ones with the magic docks. The non magic dock Tesla supercharger will not charge the Ford. Right noy in order to charge your Ford at the magic doc charger, you have to have an account on the Tesla app with your credit card, Ford does not talk to any Tesla chargers as of now.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I wish Spring 2024 didn't mean late June 20, 2024. ;) Even worse, it could be on Blue Cruise 1.3 or 1.4 or whatever time.

Sponsored

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
Ford will be producing new EVs with the NACS connector in the 2025 model year. The deal has always been access to much of the existing supercharger network for existing vehicles through an adapter (really old superchargers won't be supported). Payment processing will be done via FordPass as announced. It is unlikely that you will be able to activate or pay for the Supercharger use through the app -- that's only for the MagicDock locations. Tesla representatives, speaking on the public record, have stated that February will be the timing for Ford access.

Has Tesla blown deadlines? Sure, but this one is kind of a big deal, because they're projecting revenue from other automakers being able to use the supercharger network. As a publicly traded company being looked at under the microscope, they need this new source of revenue as much as we want the access.

The whole industry switched to NACS based upon the contractual commitments made by Tesla. It's in Tesla's direct financial interest to get this done. If they blow it, they face breach of contract litigation from other automakers. I would not be surprised if other automakers put penalties in place for Tesla if they do not meet certain date/milestone targets. Given the history of Tesla, it would be a prudent thing to do. Again, if Tesla blows this, nobody is going to do business with them.

Yes. the cord length situation is going to be a hot mess as it already is for Cybertruck owners. That being said, in many parts of the country, Superchargers largely sit vacant and idle. There appears to be plenty of room and capacity to tolerate some awkward charging setups until Tesla upgrades their own network with their new chargers that have longer cables.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
My money says Tesla sticks with the Magic Dock only setup. They will be activated only through Fordpass or (insert other proprietary EV software here). That way they can ALWAYS control how many chargers at each site are available to non-Tesla people, and reserve as many of their fastest and best chargers for their own clients as they like. Oh, and also they get the government money. There is no way to lose!

The last thing they want is for some cheap Chinese adapter to melt and start a fire at a Tesla branded charging facility. News at 11!
It will not be just Magic Docks. It will be with adapters, and soon.

At least one company has an extension on their website.

Very very unlikely we see any kind of extension. The chargers push around 400 amps so they either have to have massive cables or actively cooled cables.
At least one company has an extension no their website.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Now Ford just needs to reduce charging times ...
Ford can't reduce charging times much - they max out 500 amp cables with the low pack voltage our vehicles have. They could push the limits on the curve to try to maintain those peak currents longer, but not sure how feasible it is while maintaining good thermal management.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Ford can't reduce charging times much - they max out 500 amp cables with the low pack voltage our vehicles have. They could push the limits on the curve to try to maintain those peak currents longer, but not sure how feasible it is while maintaining good thermal management.
I was under the impression that the ER charges faster, if so is it because it uses multiple internal chargers?

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
I was under the impression that the ER charges faster, if so is it because it uses multiple internal chargers?
No, that’s a separate thing. The onboard chargers are used for AC charging that caps at 19.2 kW for the ER.

DC fast charging bypasses the truck’s onboard chargers and pipes voltage directly to the battery from the external charger. The ER charges faster because it’s got a bigger battery that can handle peak current for longer. I think the peak charging rates are relatively close, though.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.