• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
OP
OP
detroitlightning

detroitlightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Toyota RAV4 Prime, ā€˜22 Maverick XL
You do realize that the SC network is as successful as it is because of the people who've been buying Teslas for the past decade, right? So you'll take advantage of the SC network, while crapping on the people who made it possible?
This Is a bit much
Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Not sure if it'll be any different here, but Bjorn covers how supercharging works via the CCS connector in Norway. There is no adapter - Tesla installs CCS cables on each charger alongside those with a Tesla connector:

With most superchargers in the US (at least that I've seen), the cable will be too short to reach the charge port on the Lightning unless you are parked perpendicular to all of the spots, blocking off many of them. There is sometimes one "pull in" charger on the end that could work, but not all stations have them.
In Europe Tesla 3 has ccs connection. Model s,x use an adapter ccs connection. On v2 superchargers they have both Tesla specific connector and ccs to support all Tesla cars. It is more challenging here because they will need ccs cable retrofits for all us stations.

Shrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, Energica Eva Ribelle
There are options for Tesla drivers to use CCS. First, if your car has the right hardware, you can use Tesla's relatively inexpensive adapter (available in Korea right now). The TeslaTap guys also make a 60 kW adapter that works for cars without the CCS compatibility (older Model S/X).
My point is that, by opening up the SC network, Tesla the company is making its own product less valuable to current owners. The CCS charging options you presented require, at the very least, an additional purchase by current Tesla owners. If Tesla wants to remain competitive, it shouldn't be counting on its customers to make their vehicles more usable.

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
You do realize that the SC network is as successful as it is because of the people who've been buying Teslas for the past decade, right? So you'll take advantage of the SC network, while crapping on the people who made it possible?
Itā€™s a joke calm down, but yes. You know some Tesla owners are gonna flip their shit when they see a F150 blocking their charger and that will indeed be hilarious.

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I thought the EU regulated that all EVs must have CCS which is why SCs in Europe have CCS connections.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I thought the EU regulated that all EVs must have CCS which is why SCs in Europe have CCS connections.
There are a couple of different CCS plugs, but it is also true, Teslas sold in other countries don't have the proprietary connector. Some have CCS from the factory or a dual type plug. The US cars only have the proprietary connector.

The cars in the US from the last 2 years have the right board in the plug to be able to use the CCS adapter that is being bought from Korea. The older cars can have the board updated to also then use the CCS adapters.

Shrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Iā€™m not sure you made it possible, but you did buy a car?
...are you asking a question? Tesla is a car company, so yes, everything it's achieved was made possible by enough people buying a car - including its charging network.

Sponsored

Prime8

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Colorado
Occupation
Construction
...are you asking a question? Tesla is a car company, so yes, everything it's achieved was made possible by enough people buying a car - including its charging network.
Tesla opening their chargers to non Teslas will be great for EVs in general.
Carbon credit sales were the main profit area for Tesla for many years, without the government setting up the system there would be no Tesla now.
Mr. Musk forgets to mention a lot of the time.

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Audi e-Tron , Mazda Miata
I'm not sure I understand some of the feuds going on in this thread...Yes, the Super Charger Network is the gold standard of networks, yes some Telsa owners are just of big of dicks as BMW drivers (what's the difference between a BMW and a cactus? The prick is inside the BMW), but if the Tesla Super Charger Network is open to all, what is the problem?

No, I don't own a Tesla, no I won't fast charge often, but I think it is good I could charge at a Tesla spot if needed...I don't expect our free charging will be valid outside of the Blue Oval Network.

So what is it with the sniping on this thread? And while I don't normally call out specific people, I'm looking at some of the last posts in this thread (you know who you are without me putting an @)...why you saying what you are saying?
Amen

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I hope eventually that trip planning can get as sophisticated as assigning dispensers and charging time through the navigation systems of the various vehicles navigating along congested routes. It would recognize charging capability and SoC needed to follow the trip plan, stopping the charge and assigning the next destination to prevent full-to-the-last-electron charger camping. It could be dynamic enough to be re-assign locations and times if there were delays or consumption variances. Maybe even an incentive to adhere to the plan. Tesla's network is almost robust enough to do this now.

Personally, I would like to eliminate problematic screens and card readers from the dispensers and have it all done through the vehicle's infotainment system and the charging cable. Unfortunately, I believe the legislation mandates the opposite. There's a great example of the potential of DCFC in an Out of Spec Reviews video posted today.

Shrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla opening their chargers to non Teslas will be great for EVs in general.
Carbon credit sales were the main profit area for Tesla for many years, without the government setting up the system there would be no Tesla now.
Mr. Musk forgets to mention a lot of the time.
I don't think anyone here, all of us fans of the Lightning, would argue against your first sentence. My original point seems to have gotten lost, so to reiterate: opening up the SC network to all EVs will place existing Tesla owners at a disadvantage, and diminish any brand loyalty that exists due to the SC network among that same group, without some further move to sweeten the deal by Tesla.

Your second point is also true, but again, not really a point of contention. People bought into Tesla because of its cars, not because of its carbon credits. The latter is just what helped keep Tesla afloat until it became profitable through vehicle sales.

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
As an owner of a Tesla MYP and a Lightning and actively charging both of themā€¦ I use the Tesla charger at home, so my wife is already dealing with a Lightning using the charger. On the other hand, in CA (so far), Iā€™ve rarely had a problem finding a 150kw EA charger and definitely havenā€™t had to wait (and get 154kw peaks). Now with the Tesla itā€™s rare to find a bank of chargers with open (space between to not load circuit) so charging speeds are always diminished. Often challenging to figure out which generation of charger it is and what to expect. I donā€™t see the downside. Iā€™m sure Teslaā€™s will get to take advantage of the fast chargers in EA network.
I will say, coming from the Tesla network and reading about all the issues people were having with EA, so far EA had treated me well and functioned flawlessly.
Sponsored