• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Truck got towed

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The truck uses a physical parking pawl. If it was rolled in park there is a good chance of that breaking. Have the dealer check it out and don't park where you'll get towed.
I think the parking pawl locks the rears only. He stated that it was towed with the rears raised.
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I think the parking pawl locks the rears only. He stated that it was towed with the rears raised.
Regardless, those tow drivers dgaf, they'll drag/push/pull to get it on the hook. I doubt they were careful and they won't take any responsibility.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
It's an F150. These aren't fragile vehicles. It sounds like no harm done at the end of the day.

If you want to know more about towing a Lightning, dealing with a dead 12V battery, and more, this is the video to watch. Lots of knowledge dropped in this one.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
It's an F150. These aren't fragile vehicles. It sounds like no harm done at the end of the day.

If you want to know more about towing a Lightning, dealing with a dead 12V battery, and more, this is the video to watch. Lots of knowledge dropped in this one.

At 15:30 in he clearly states that the vehicle will be damaged as it was towed.

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
At 15:30 in he clearly states that the vehicle will be damaged as it was towed.
The gentleman in the video is refrencing a thermal event. If it was just towed a mile or two, at low speed, there likely just wasn’t much heat generated. If he was towing at interstate speeds for hundreds of miles, it would be an issue.
Based on my limited knowledge, there’s a very good chance this truck is no worse for the wear.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Artificial Intelligence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking
Drivers are paid to tow. Typically they hurry up and get out as most people will be upset to see their car being towed. You can call tow company but I don’t see you having any luck with them.

if your motor is damaged which I don’t think is the case, you do have manufacturer warranty

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
All 4x4 F150s need to be either towed on a rollback or with wheel dollies, and there‘s nothing special about the Lightning. Emergency towing in the manual is if you need to be towed by another vehicle on the side of the road, not professional wrecker services.

The F150 Lightning is listed in the Ford Wrecker Towing Manual. They pull it just like every other F150 unless it’s damaged, in which case they also need to read the EV responder’s guide.

https://content.fordpro.com/content.../towing-manuals/2022-Wrecker-Towing-Guide.pdf

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
All 4x4 F150s need to be either towed on a rollback or with wheel dollies, and there‘s nothing special about the Lightning. Emergency towing in the manual is if you need to be towed by another vehicle on the side of the road, not professional wrecker services.

The F150 Lightning is listed in the Ford Wrecker Towing Manual. They pull it just like every other F150 unless it’s damaged, in which case they also need to read the EV responder’s guide.

https://content.fordpro.com/content.../towing-manuals/2022-Wrecker-Towing-Guide.pdf
See post #2...

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
See post #2...
Right, but there was subsequent discussion that included a page out of the owner's guide. It's confusing because Emergency Towing is not the same thing as what happened to the OP's truck, but the manual doesn't do a good job explaining that.

I was also trying to point out the similarity with the regular F150 in this regard. The F150 has been the most common vehicle on the road for more than three decades. If they know how to tow a regular F150, they know how to tow a Lightning.

RaptorEV

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 12C
Occupation
Secret Agent
I would have a conversation with the tow company owner and explain what the driver did. (and what he should have done). I would ask him to flatbed the truck to your dealer for evaluation and go from there.
I would pay to see that conversation. It's not going to go how you think, but it will be entertaining.

Sponsored
OP
OP

s3mamill

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
I called the tow company but haven't gotten a call back yet. The truck doesn't seem to have any issues. No lights or warnings have come on.

Interestingly this all started with my girlfriend asking me to help bring a piece of furniture to her office. We parked in the parking lot to bring it inside and my truck got towed from the lot. I was pretty annoyed and think its her fault, since its her place of work she knows the norms better than me. I sent her this thread to show her that getting it towed could be a problem for the truck and suggested that she should have put it on my radar that the truck could get towed from the lot. She thinks this is my problem and not her fault. After reading this thread, she commented that the people on the board were pretty opinionated and that I should put the question to them.

What say you, thread people? Is my truck getting towed on her or me?

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
I called the tow company but haven't gotten a call back yet. The truck doesn't seem to have any issues. No lights or warnings have come on.

Interestingly this all started with my girlfriend asking me to help bring a piece of furniture to her office. We parked in the parking lot to bring it inside and my truck got towed from the lot. I was pretty annoyed and think its her fault, since its her place of work she knows the norms better than me. I sent her this thread to show her that getting it towed could be a problem for the truck and suggested that she should have put it on my radar that the truck could get towed from the lot. She thinks this is my problem and not her fault. After reading this thread, she commented that the people on the board were pretty opinionated and that I should put the question to them.

What say you, thread people? Is my truck getting towed on her or me?
Without question, it is on you.
Do you go through a lot of girlfriends?

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
If you feel it necessary to keep score, there may be bigger issues than just a truck. 😂
Hard facts. I don't think asking any of us would be healthy lol.

As for getting towed, this is why I either stay with the truck or leave it running and hazards flashing. If it's something as simple as unloading, making it clear typically prevents issues, but in any sort of iffy environment I stay in the seat so if someone says I need to move or if I see the tow, I can drive off.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
So - what will happen if you'd set the parking brake? Is that only locking the rear wheels? I think that is the case on traditional ICE.

We know from the '24 articles that Ford is going to add this via SW that the parking brake will engage automatically when putting the truck in Park. Guessing that is to take any roll away so the parking pawl doesn't take all the stress of the truck rolling against it.

Tesla has done this for a while, I think it's a great feature, but believe that the parking/emergency brake is only on the back wheels.

The GF question that is for Reddit and the AITA thread.
Sponsored