• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Truck got towed

s3mamill

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
Hi everyone, I parked in a spot I wasn't supposed to yesterday and my truck got towed. I've heard that there are special considerations for towing an EV, like the motor could get burned out when towing with the wheels rolling (though I could be wrong). Is there anything I should ask the tow company or be on the lookout for? Frustratingly, I watched as it got towed off and they had lifted the back up and it was rolling on the front wheels.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Hi everyone, I parked in a spot I wasn't supposed to yesterday and my truck got towed. I've heard that there are special considerations for towing an EV, like the motor could get burned out when towing with the wheels rolling (though I could be wrong). Is there anything I should ask the tow company or be on the lookout for? Frustratingly, I watched as it got towed off and they had lifted the back up and it was rolling on the front wheels.
The truck is AWD. It needs to be towed with all 4 wheels off the ground. There is an emergency tow mode, but without access to your vehicle it couldn't have been enabled. I would suspect that there is damage. Tow truck drivers have access to a guide for vehicles, and are supposed to use it.

For the Lightning, it says under Rear Wheel Lift - Not approved.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...orcraft/2022_Wrecker_Towing_Guide_mcs6420.pdf

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Tow truck drivers have access to a guide for vehicles, and are supposed to use it.
Maybe the problem is that the tow driver thought that he was towing a regular F-150, as the guide says that for the F-150/Raptor, Rear Wheel Lift towing at up to 50 mph for unlimited distances is approved for those vehicles.

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
I’d contact legal representation and ask. A tow driver may be held responsible for damage in some states. Not knowing what you’re towing is also a big no-no.

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
My .00000002 cents. Reorientation at this point is a waste of money. What kind of damage? There’s no transmission- all I can think of is the spinning wheels would charge the battery- if it overcharges maybe some damage there. But you’re probably fine- it was likely not towed too far and the battery wasn’t already charged to 100%. Look on the bright side-you got a little free charging. If there’s damage- contact the tow company, talk to the owner, give him an opportunity to make it right. If he doesn’t- contact your lawyer. Usually just a letter with his letterhead will take care of things.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
My .00000002 cents. Reorientation at this point is a waste of money. What kind of damage? There’s no transmission- all I can think of is the spinning wheels would charge the battery- if it overcharges maybe some damage there. But you’re probably fine- it was likely not towed too far and the battery wasn’t already charged to 100%. Look on the bright side-you got a little free charging. If there’s damage- contact the tow company, talk to the owner, give him an opportunity to make it right. If he doesn’t- contact your lawyer. Usually just a letter with his letterhead will take care of things.
There can be no regen charging when the truck isn’t turned on.

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I was under the impression the lighting had permanent magnet motors- which means there’s no way they can spin without charging… something. If the wheels are spinning, they’re creating a charge. If that charge isn’t going into the battery, there will almost certainly be some damage. I’m not an electrical engineer, just a mechanical, and know just enough to be dangerous. I wish someone with specific knowledge may come across this and chime in.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I was under the impression the lighting had permanent magnet motors- which means there’s no way they can spin without charging… something. If the wheels are spinning, they’re creating a charge
There is potential energy being created by the motor unit, but the contactors are wide open while the truck is off.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
, you cannot flat tow or dolly-tow the new Ford F-150 Lightning since it is an electric vehicle and because of its internal design. The way the drive train is designed, rotating the wheels via towing also spins the motor that can damage it and potentially cause it to overheat.

The only safe way to tow a Ford F-150 Lightning is on a flatbed trailer. Any other towing method runs the risk of serious damage to the motor. The rest of this article will discuss why you can’t flat tow the new Ford F-150 Lightning, and what alternatives are available.
Source: https://truckpowered.com/can-you-flat-tow-the-new-f-150-ford-lightning/

The article sure has the F-150 weight wrong - lists it as 8,250 lbs, about a ton off! Hopefully, they got their other facts straight...

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Ford F-150 Lightning Truck got towed 1701656578480

Ford F-150 Lightning Truck got towed 1701656602500

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I was under the impression the lighting had permanent magnet motors- which means there’s no way they can spin without charging… something. If the wheels are spinning, they’re creating a charge. If that charge isn’t going into the battery, there will almost certainly be some damage. I’m not an electrical engineer, just a mechanical, and know just enough to be dangerous. I wish someone with specific knowledge may come across this and chime in.
EE here. Yep they're permanent magnet motors. And when you spin them they create a voltage. But that voltage doesn't have to do anything. Just like a battery produces voltage, unless you hook load to it nothing happens. It's not correct to say that it has to charge something.

Take any hobby DC motor and you'll find you can spin it freely. And if you hook a load to it (like a flashlight bulb), it should then get difficult to spin but can maybe produce light. This is regen (or simply gen).

But I don't know what the Lightning motors are connected to. It could be they create a high enough voltage to damage some components; this part I don't know.

OP
OP

s3mamill

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
Good advice everyone. It was towed maybe a mile or two away at city driving speed. I drove it that evening and to work this morning and everything seems fine, but I'll call the owner and have a chat with them.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Good advice everyone. It was towed maybe a mile or two away at city driving speed. I drove it that evening and to work this morning and everything seems fine, but I'll call the owner and have a chat with them.
I think the truck will be fine, definitely educate the tow operator!

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
The truck uses a physical parking pawl. If it was rolled in park there is a good chance of that breaking. Have the dealer check it out and don't park where you'll get towed.
Sponsored