• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What is the adapter needed to connect the included charging cable to the 240v connector in the bed?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Wondering what happens if you plug in something that uses the full 50 amps into one of these while connected to the truck. I assume the Ford EVSE works fine since it is rated for 30 amps.
Breaker pops at anything over 30amps

Probably not. The Ford mobile power cord draws 32a continuous at 240v and would need a 40a breaker minimum, Ford recommends 50a breaker as it uses a 50a plug.

Better off using something below 30a, many adjustable evse on the market now.
The Ford Mobile Charger that comes with the Lightning has a 30amp pigtail
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
The Ford Mobile Charger that comes with the Lightning has a 30amp pigtail
Interesting, in the usa, I see they actually advertise it as 30a that can be used on propower. In Canada, they mention 30a output for the evse but no mention of using it on the propower. Probably some regulatory loophole. The back of the evse I have says 32a max. Wondering if the American ones are labeled differently?

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
you can use these adapters for the bed's 240v twist-lock output for anything, but the truck's internal breaker will trip if the request is for anything/much at, near, or above 30amps, which is it's limit... now, if you use the FordMobileEVSE, it might work for a minute, minutes, or longer, it just depends on the VEHICLE you have it plugged into, and what IT is asking for, amperage wise.
On some EVs you may be able to have the vehicle back down on the 240v amperage it requests, while others may be set at a defined amount. My wife's KIA PHEV is only 16amps, but my son's BOLT might be the full 30.
Along with this twist-lock to NEMA 14-50 outlet ADAPTER, an adjustable EVSE might be the best 'secondary' device you can have in your arsenal, and ESPECIALLY if it is ALSO 240v OR 120v. This is where a single EVSE can provide almost ANYTHING you wish, from your truck.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Interesting, in the usa, I see they actually advertise it as 30a that can be used on propower. In Canada, they mention 30a output for the evse but no mention of using it on the propower. Probably some regulatory loophole. The back of the evse I have says 32a max. Wondering if the American ones are labeled differently?
I think they are all labeled 32A max. @RickLightning has 2, one from a Mach-E and one from the Lightning. He can tell us for sure.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
the max I see from my MaxGreen adjustable '32amp' EVSE is 30.1 amps, but the know what the FordMobileEVSE is drawing is tougher to ascertain, since it has no readout of any info...

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Ford Mobile Charger that comes with the Lightning has a 30amp pigtail and pulls a hair under. Breaker does not pop.

The Ford Mobile Charger that comes with the Mach-E has a 40amp pigtail and pulls 32 amps and pops the Lightning breaker.

Both body units are the same, only the pigtail is different.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Since we are now a two EV family, I wanted to take advantage of the 240v connector in the bed to be able to charger our Ioniq 5 in case of an emergency. I just learned about this capability tonight and wanted to know about the connector needed to connect the charging cable to the outlet. Is this a standard, readily available connector, or do I have to build it? Thanks!
Maybe this thread will help:

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...e-charger-at-campsite-30amp.15481/post-316642

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wondering what happens if you plug in something that uses the full 50 amps into one of these while connected to the truck. I assume the Ford EVSE works fine since it is rated for 30 amps.
Apparently, the Ford Mobile Charger (EVSE) at 240V draws 32 amps under load connected to the car when charging, which is why it has a 50 amp plug. It would pop the breaker in the truck bed - have read some posts saying they tried the Mobile Charger on 240V/30A circuits and it popped the breaker. There was much discussion about adjusting the Mobile Charger current draw but it was not designed to be adjustable, so others resorted to buying a mobile EVSE where the current could be adjusted, to 24A for a 30A circuit.

So if the Ioniq 5 EVSE was designed for a 30A circuit, or if one can lower the current draw in the vehicle, then it is fine to use an adapter.

The Ford Mobile Charger EVSE is a no-go however.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Incorrect, as my post spells out.
I saw that. But have you actually tried it though?

I ask because I read another post by someone who said the Lightning mobile EVSE draws a continuous 32A on a 240v circuit: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...e-charger-at-campsite-30amp.15481/post-316685

And on another thread, someone said they tried to charge their Lightning with the mobile charger on a 240V/30A outlet but it popped the breaker. (Didn't save the link though.)

On the other hand, I have seen other posters who say, for example, they have been using the mobile charger on a 30A circuit in a parking garage without opening the breaker.

So, it may depend on the length of wire between the breaker/source and the load, and the wire guage used - too far and you will draw over 30A and pop the breaker.

That is, it may depend on the voltage drop from source to load - if the voltage drops too much the device will try to pull more current and if it goes over 30A, pop the breaker for safety - that's why the 80% rule exists, and the wiring spec tables, National and local codes, etc.

Ford says the length of the mobile charge cord is 20ft. There is also some length inside the Lightning from the invertser to the 240V outlet, say 10ft, and a pigtail from the mobile charger to the outlet of another foot maybe? So let's say the total length is 32ft from inverter to J1772 plug.

I haven't found specs on the wire gauge used so hard to determine end-to-end what the voltage drop would be and whether it would draw more than 30A.

Even so, is it a good idea to try to draw the maximum current rating on any circuit?
No.
On a 30A circuit one should not draw over 24A continuously even if the breaker doesn't pop.
Bad things can happen - hence the 80% rule, NEC codes, etc.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I did.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On a 30A circuit one should not draw over 24A continuously even if the breaker doesn't pop.
Bad things can happen - hence the 80% rule, NEC codes, etc.
PS: EV's are considered continuous loads.