• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging under the garage door, what do you use to protect the cable

duncanmclain

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat ER
Occupation
Supreme Galactic Commander
What do you use to protect your cable from the garage door as it comes down on top of it?
Sponsored

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Nothing. I just don't close the garage door all the way. There is no way that dropping the door on the cable is going to be good for it (or the door).

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
I have a J1772 Tesla Wall Connector (EVSE) inside about 4 feet up inside the garage, with 25ft cable. I use a 4" dryer wall vent flap that is large enough for the J1772 head to pass through:
Amazon_dryer_wall_vent
Since I can just unhook and just leave the cable and connector head on the float rock outside under the roof overhang, I also added a 4" plastic cable grommet, "loosely snug" fitted, inside the wall vent to somewhat seal against critters sneaking in the wall vent flap while the cable is still outside:
Amazon: 4" cable grommet
I also use a J1772 nozzle holster to protect the head while it is laying outside to keep it clean of spiders setting up a home:
Amazon: J1772 nozzle holster
This link, even though it pictures what I ordered, goes to a holster that is a bit more involved instead of the simple one I received.
Ford F-150 Lightning Charging under the garage door, what do you use to protect the cable IMG_20231002_200213997

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging under the garage door, what do you use to protect the cable IMG_20231002_200250518_HDR

I also have a 14-50 receptacle on the other side of the garage door to plug in a mobile EVSE connector, and the garage door on that side does not fit against the concrete very well, so the cable can slide under the door seal without damage! Maybe chip out a gap under your garage door...ugly, not easy, has to be a long ditch due to cable stiffness, and may be a trip hazard?

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
I have this: Splash N Color EV Cable Pass Through - Garage Door Protector & Charging Holder - Tesla Charger - Car Electric Cover - EV Accessories https://a.co/d/0Vuub1l
You can 3d print something similar or cut into a piece of wood or something if you need it cheaper.

Cable Shield - The Ultimate Electric Vehicle EV Cable Protector - Made in USA - Providing Preventative Maintenance Protection for Your Charging Cord - Please See Below for Sizing (Large) Tesla Rivian https://a.co/d/elcccLx
This looks great.

Or this:
Spigen DuraPro Cable Garage Door Pass Protector Designed for Tesla Mobile Charger and Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector (Model 3/Y/X/S) 2023/2022 https://a.co/d/ebEdVOH

Sponsored

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER w/Max Tow - Atlas Blue
My garage floor is about 1-1.5" taller than my driveway. The garage door hits that lower portion. What I did was buy a 2 pieces of fake wood gray decking from Lowe's (linked below) that is 1" tall, 6" wide and 8 foot long each. I cut out a channel big enough for the cable to go through and used some concrete anchor screws to hold everything in place. When the cable is not there, I put the piece I cut back in its place. I adjusted the garage door stop for the 1" board. This allows me to keep a seal and protect the cable. I also 3d printed a rectangular cable protector to fit in that slot to make the seal a little better. I chipped out some of the concrete to make the transition smoother. For anyone wanting the 3d print, I used a tesla one I found online. The Tesla cable is apparently thinner than my Emporia cable, so I had to do a lot of filing on the 3d printed protector to make it fit.

I originally just tried adjusting the garage door stop to an inch up, but that left a small gap even with the rubber seal on the bottom of the garage door. I was going to 3d print something, but the problem is there would be a gap around it. What I went with seemed like a decent compromise. The fake wood won't rot or need painting. It even has channels on the bottom, so any water that gets under it can dry out. The door can't crush the cable since the board is slightly higher than the cable. Total cost was under $50 including the concrete drill bit I bought.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Trex-Enhance-Basics-8-ft-Clam-Shell-Composite-Deck-Board/1000763502

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging under the garage door, what do you use to protect the cable 20231003_051331

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging under the garage door, what do you use to protect the cable 20231003_051318

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging under the garage door, what do you use to protect the cable 20231003_051358

Last edited:

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
I make one of my kids sleep on the ground and close the door on them to protect the cord. The bigger kids complain a little bit more than the little ones, but they're all resilient. Sure they are more expensive than a piece of wood or a product I can get off Amazon, but its all about the life lessons people.

/s/

Father of the year.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
I don't use anything at all. My garage doors have a rubber weather strip at their bottom that is at least twice the height of the cable and the door stops dropping just as it touches the ground.

If an EVSE cable is there because I'm charging outside (an option for my FFE, not an option for my wife's Lightning), the door closes without pinching the cable.

The door on "my" side closes to form a decent seal from all but the worst driving rain towards the door, but my 32 A EVSE with its 18' cord has a thinner cord (about 5/8") than the one on "my wife's" side with the 48 A EVSE with a 24' cord (about 3/4"). The door on that side leaves a bit of a gap in places despite my efforts to make it seal like the other door.

I'll add a photo later today.