• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What's with the lurch?

V8BoatBuilder

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Can confirm, mine does not auto-disengage when the accelerator is pressed in a normal fashion, but I can feel the truck straining against it. I have not tried to really push it yet.
Sponsored

Stefan_the_vet

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat 23
So I got my Lightning a few days ago and already had two serious Incidences with it. First I crashed into my neighbors garage and the second time I knocked over an ElectrifyAmerica charger (that caused serious damage to the front of the car). Both accidents happened the same way. I brought the car to a stop, hitting the brake pedal and before I could shift it into park or reverse it suddenly lurched forward with huge acceleration. The first time I blamed myself, must have been my mistake. This is the first truck I own, was really excited about it. However after today I am worried something is not right with this truck. My insurance is probably wondering too, filing two claims within days. Thank god there were no people in my way, this would have killed them. Any insights?

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Can confirm, mine does not auto-disengage when the accelerator is pressed in a normal fashion, but I can feel the truck straining against it. I have not tried to really push it yet.
The parking brake should automatically disengage when you give it some throttle.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
The truck has a built-in 'park prawl' that keeps the truck's motors 'parked' when you put it into 'park', with no need for any additional 'emergency brake', under normal everyday circumstances. MUNROE has a video of this exact 'park prawl' device and how it works.
The emergency brake is a different thing, and is a mechanical means to 'lock down' the wheels to keep them from moving. It is controlling the wheels/brakes, NOT the motors. It can happen automatically when the truck's sensor see a certain amount of 'slope', with the red 'BRAKE ENGAGED' indicator on the driver screen.
It can also happen if you MANUALLY pull the Emergency Brake engagement handle, at the driver's left knee area, which is handy when you don't want the truck to have that addtional 'movement' after releasing the brake pedal, such as when hooking up to your camper, or just getting 'close' to a DC Fast Charger, etc. You can manually PUSH to disengage the brake when getting ready to go, OR if you press the 'GO' pedal hard and long enough, it will disengage AUTOMATICALLY, with a sometimes large 'lurch', as well.
You can imagine that the truck's designers wanted to have a substantial 'emergency brake' hold, and yet they also imagined that every driver might not want to have to reach down to disengage that brake hold everytime they are ready to go - I've done it plenty of times, when it caught me off guard, early on, when I didn't pay attention to the 'BRAKE ENGAGED' red indicator. I wondered why the truck seemed to 'not want to go' when I pressed the pedal, and then, suddenly, it lurched forward when it DID let go...

The truck also has a 'reverse brake' feature, which helps to brake the truck when you are in reverse and it senses something in the way, a safety feature, or as you are letting off the 'GO' pedal. BUT, this feature, if engaged, will also serve to create an issue if you are trying to back up to, and hook up to, a camper, or trailer, etc. It senses the vehicle and makes it very difficult for you to easily get close, or to come off the brake and expect the truck to move on it's own, without applying a lot of PRESSURE to the 'GO' pedal, which can then create a 'lurch', again, when that feature let's you override it's built-in safety mechanism. This caused me several times to almost run into my camper's hitch, until I realized that disabling this feature was best for me.
Sponsored