• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What's with the lurch?

sd25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Rivian R1T
So I've had this truck for 2 months now, and I'm really amazed by it. After switching from a Super Duty to the Lightning, I can't go back to that rough ride and all the noise. Or the crazy fuel bills.

But the Lightning has an odd trait that's starting to bug me. After coming to a stop and putting it into Park, as soon as you release the brake it does this lurch forward a couple of inches and then rocks back and forth for a couple of seconds. This is after a full and complete stop on flat ground, there's no momentum at play here. The lurching reminds me of parking my dad's old land yacht from the late 70's (I'm talking about you Chrysler Cordoba).

I'm hoping it's a brake/transmission calibration issue that can be sorted through software. If it's a mechanical issue that can't be fixed, then that's disappointing on a new EV.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I've noticed it, best solution is set the parking brake, I know it means an extra step, but best immediate solution to the sloppy give & take with the reduction gear parking pawl.

V8BoatBuilder

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
I too set my parking brake. Always have, I grew up on stick-shift and think it's good practice. Except I wish we had a real lever on the Lightning and not that push/pull electric "lever."

I agree with you that the lightning rocks too much. Not sure what kind of pre-load is being released.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I too set my parking brake. Always have, I grew up on stick-shift and think it's good practice. Except I wish we had a real lever on the Lightning and not that push/pull electric "lever."

I agree with you that the lightning rocks too much. Not sure what kind of pre-load is being released.
I’ve known people who never use the parking brake on their trucks and then are surprised when the parking brakes are frozen up from rust.

Sponsored

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Does the Lightning not automatically set the parking brake when put in park?

Dirtyrider89

First Name
Korey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Technician for cranes
When I go on my brother's driveway which is kinda steep it auto sets park brake

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Shouldn't modern day vehicles set the parking brake everytime the vehicle is in park?

Sponsored

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
BTW I also was able to set it so that it doesn’t do the lurch when I’m trying to hitch a trailer. You can get the ball in the right spot with the camera and then when you put it into park—lurch. The parking brake solves that. There is also a setting to delay the reverse camera from disappearing when you switch gears. That is also quite helpful for hitching and took me a while to find.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Yes it will automatically set if it detects that it is placed in park on a slope.
Ah, that make sense!

I wondered why the Lightning parking brakes would engage and other times none.

It's nice not to have to step down on the parking brake release or pull a handle to release it - just unlocks when you put it into "gear".

I am in the "no parking brake" camp - have never used it driving over 40 years.

Guess, I rely on the tranny or in this case, the motors.

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
It might automatically engage the ebrake if you open your door without putting it in park. Then it shifts into park for you as well I think. Too lazy to test right now lol.

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
Your description reminds me of driving a manual. I'd typically have it in 1st gear when I was ready to park it and would be sitting there with the clutch and brake depressed and then turn off the car and release the clutch. However, occasionally, something would distract me prior to turning off the car and I'd sit there with both pedals pressed and the car idling while I addressed the distraction. On some of those occasions, I'd release the clutch while the car was still running and the brake was pressed and the car would lurch forward, die, and then rock back and forth.

I wonder if we're all going to look like a bunch of people who don't know how to park a manual vehicle every time we park our lightnings.

:ROFLMAO:

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Why doesn't the truck ALWAYS engage the parking brake when put in park why only on slopes? This is a common feature on so many other modern cars.

How does the Lightning even hold it's position without a parking brake? Without a transmission, what prevents it from rolling? The electric motors would only have a slight reluctance to move.
Sponsored