• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

When does the range prediction get more "accurate"?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Be careful using miles per kilowatt (i.e. This Trip, Trip 1, Trip 2). It can have problems where the miles don't reset, so your efficiency doubles. Or, for no reason, the efficiency zeros out and starts again, so your Trip 2 set on day 1 suddenly loses the efficiency, and shows what's in This Trip. EV driving history is close to useless due to inaccuracy.
Sponsored

AdmiralYamo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord V6 EX-L 2015
I should ask... is a gas truck's range to empty accurate?

I bet the lightning is more accurate than a gas car.

Plus. No vehicle can predict what you will drive in the future.

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
My EV driving history over the past 5,000 miles, according to the truck, is 2.1 mi/KW. When I charge to 100%, it still says 325 mile range for the ER. If it changed according to driving history it should guess that I will get something more like 260.

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
The Guess o meter is never accurate even after thousands of miles. Your best bet is to use math (i.e., current state of charge multiplied by battery size multiplied by current mi/kWh)
^^This^^

When I hit the road, if I am worried about range, I am resetting one of the trip meters from time to time, and using that number and percent battery remaining x battery capacity to recalculate range.

Alan168

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Platinum, Rapid Red Metallic
Occupation
Retired
Between each charge session, I have closely tracked the changes in the odometer readings and GOM readings. I found at low temps, I could only rely on 63% of the range displayed on the GOM. As spring arrived and temps started climbing, I could rely on a higher percentage of the GOM range. I have seen 63%, 73%, 79%, 86% and most recently 93%. In other words, as the temps rose, the GOM range became more "reliable". Along the way my miles/kwhr rose from about 1.7 to 2.3.

Despite this apparent improvement, I agree with everyone else - use the battery SOC and calculate the remaining range.

Sponsored

9onmy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M2, Ducati MTS 1260, 2023 SR Lightning XLT
Occupation
Housemaker/Veteran
I can drive the same route in similar weather conditions, same accelaration and braking, and get 1.9 kWh on one drive and 3.1 the next. Makes no sense.
Same. I just pay attention how much gas I left and miles I need. I hope battery percentage left is accurate.

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
If only ford would show is the KWH left in the battery. I use an OBD reader and car scanner & you know how much juice you have left. You can easily calculate what M/KWH you need to average to make it to your next charger.
No gas gauge compares with the accuracy using that calculation.

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
For a little less accuracy you can calculate the percentage of a full battery. 80% of 131 = 105 kWh x your average m/kWh to check your range.
105kwh x 1.4 m/kWh = 147 miles of range left.

Gewalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro (no options)
SR owners have it a bit easier for mental math. 98 kWh useable is close enough to 1 kWh per 1% so 2.0 mi/kWh efficiency means a half charge will take you 100 miles; at 2.5 driving for highway efficiency that's a good 250 miles of highway range at 100%

On my first EV in 2015 there was a way to hide the GoM and I absolutely hid it until I sold the e-Golf six years later
Sponsored