• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Does your Lightning get noticed more now than when you first got it?

Does your Lightning get noticed more now than when you first got it?

• Total voters

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
Nobody has ever shown an interest or spoken to me about the frunk at the grocery store. Sometimes I pull in forward and sometimes I back into the spot. I like talking about my toys, so I'm always ready to engage. I've had 2-3 people notice and wave on the freeway. Not in the last couple months though. The only real place anyone has shown interest is at a charger. I really just think people don't notice it.
Sponsored

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
In the beginning it seemed only a select few would notice. Either out and about or at a charger. But I'd say the attention has been pretty steady the last 5 months in the form of the occasional gawker while driving past someone kn the highway.

Otherwise, I've had many front trunk "incidents" where people only notice something is really unique about it after my hood opens. This includes my girlfriends sister remarking about it a couple weeks ago, mouth agape: "Wait, your truck has a....front thing??" I think asked if she meant front trunk and she said "yeah...". I told her "Yeah, it does because there's no engine." And then she said: "Oh wait, I didn't realize it was totally electric..."

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
When I first got the Lightning in July '22, very few people noticed.

Now as of recent, I am getting more inquiries, questions and thumbs up while driving.

Most people did not know a full size EV truck even existed.

When I pull up to a public L3 charger, I do get lots more people looking at me like I am crazy parking in an EV spot and then realizing it's an EV when I plug her in.

OP
OP
p52Ranch

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
Yesterday I went to the farm and ranch store and a 10 year old boy from the local 4H club recognized that my truck was electric. I asked if he had seen one before and he said no.

Ford must finally be getting some good awareness of the Lightning now.

BzzzzztZapPow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Explorer Hybrid, 18 Fusion Hybrid, 22 Lightning
It's all about the frunk. I haven't noticed much of a change in inquiries. For those that do ask, I tend to get 'How do you like it?' Then, I need to assess whether they are really interested or if their comment is more like 'How are you doing today?'. I have to be careful not to geek out and start talking about the mi/kWh, charging, etc., and just keep it to more of an 'I love it!' response and then see where they go from there.

Sponsored

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
What I get a lot is people pulling up and revving their engines- trying to entice me into a sprint. Never had that before and never had anything this fast. Not really a lot either- 1x per month?? But is is a lot compared to the previous years and years with no attention like that.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
What I get a lot is people pulling up and revving their engines- trying to entice me into a sprint. Never had that before and never had anything this fast. Not really a lot either- 1x per month?? But is is a lot compared to the previous years and years with no attention like that.
Little do they know you'll out run just about anything on the road.

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2015 FIAT 500e
Yesterday the yard manager at the scrap yard took notice of it, and knew what it was (or so he said). Then another guy took interest. It's funny because I've had it in there before without recognition. 😀

There have been others, but it's pretty much incognito for the most part.

simonsays

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey, Acura TL
Despite seeing a few on the road in my area, the novelty has not worn off. My Line-X guy’s eyes popped out and he nearly fainted when I got my backpack out of the frunk the other day. When even people working on trucks are caught by surprise, there is a clear lack of enlightenment regarding the Lightning.

Some folks claim the hype is over and Ford showing desperation by reopening orders, but there’s simply still a lot of work to do for the Ford Marketing department. Despite the PR gained by the bait-and-switch Pro pricing (still need to calm myself down; taking a deep breath and being soothed by a higher-than-planned trim - and expense - I need to remind myself that a grateful heart is better than a bitter soul), the vast majority of potential customers is still unaware.
The lion’s share of Lightning owners wouldn’t trade it for any ICE truck, so Ford needs to share the experience with potential buyers. Don’t have the beloved dealers lock away the mannequins to screw people over after 6 months, but actively promote test drives! Imagine the demand Ford could create if everyone in the market for an ICE F150 would take a test drive in the Lightning before ordering.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Despite seeing a few on the road in my area, the novelty has not worn off. My Line-X guy’s eyes popped out and he nearly fainted when I got my backpack out of the frunk the other day. When even people working on trucks are caught by surprise, there is a clear lack of enlightenment regarding the Lightning.

Some folks claim the hype is over and Ford showing desperation by reopening orders, but there’s simply still a lot of work to do for the Ford Marketing department. Despite the PR gained by the bait-and-switch Pro pricing (still need to calm myself down; taking a deep breath and being soothed by a higher-than-planned trim - and expense - I need to remind myself that a grateful heart is better than a bitter soul), the vast majority of potential customers is still unaware.
The lion’s share of Lightning owners wouldn’t trade it for any ICE truck, so Ford needs to share the experience with potential buyers. Don’t have the beloved dealers lock away the mannequins to screw people over after 6 months, but actively promote test drives! Imagine the demand Ford could create if everyone in the market for an ICE F150 would take a test drive in the Lightning before ordering.
The dealers all sold their demos and now you can't even find one to test drive around Dallas without a commitment to purchase the vehicle.
Ford needs to get more mannequins out there and put restrictions on there that the MUST allow people to drive it XXX miles before they can sell it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
p52Ranch

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
The dealers all sold their demos and now you can't even find one to test drive around Dallas without a commitment to purchase the vehicle.
Ford needs to get more mannequins out there and put restrictions on there that the MUST allow people to drive it XXX miles before they can sell it.
It took my dealer several months to sell their mannequin unit and it seems there are still some that are available.

You raise an interesting point of having vehicles available to test and inspect. That's the way we have always bought cars before. With my Bronco and Lightning both of those were ordered and purchased without ever having driven a similar model. If Ford I'm not sure how Ford (and other manufacturers) will balance an online ordering model and a supply of dealer mannequins.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
It took my dealer several months to sell their mannequin unit and it seems there are still some that are available.

You raise an interesting point of having vehicles available to test and inspect. That's the way we have always bought cars before. With my Bronco and Lightning both of those were ordered and purchased without ever having driven a similar model. If Ford I'm not sure how Ford (and other manufacturers) will balance an online ordering model and a supply of dealer mannequins.
You have a handful of vehicles at the stores for people to test drive and for immediate delivery for anyone who cannot wait.

Then as many other manufacturers have done, you streamline your options to where basically the only options are the trim level and color. Honda Toyota and others have already done this. This allows you to match orders with vehicles already in the pipeline and not have to wait months to get a spot in the queue.

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
My crew, office staff, UPS driver, USPS mailman, contractors, fishermen, RVers, machinery salesman, all say “that’s a beautiful sweet bitchen ride”. Then I open the frunk.

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
A couple of people have noticed when I or @TexasGardeningGirl open the Frunk but I have gotten the longest convesations while fast charging.

Why is it that people want to ask you about it, but really their intention is trash talk electric cars?
We just bought here truck and were driving it back from Alabama. Stopped at an EA station in a grocery store parking lot (IDK where) and the guy wanted to ask about it but immediately got hostile to the idea. I think that happened twice on that trip back.

But I was using an EA in a Walmart a couple weeks ago and an older gentleman (Older....LOL.... probably 5 years older than me but greyer) was very interested and I tried to dispel the BS that some one else told him. He was actually thinking about getting a Lyriq. Hope I helped but told him that EA charging sucks!

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
I was at the beach in Maine yesterday with the family, and since I have a bad wheel, I left the romping in the sand to the wife and kids. Set up my chair next to the truck with the radio on and enjoyed the weather. I had 3 different people stop and ask "Is this the electric one?". Each proceeded to grill me about the miles, charging, price etc. So much for peace and quiet, but I'm not going to lie....I enjoy bragging about her.
Sponsored