• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

When does the range prediction get more "accurate"?

Its PJ Bia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO
I have about 300mi on my pro so far, averaging 2.8mi/kwh. The truck still says at 90% charge I will have 190mi of range, which seems a bit low for how economical I have been so far with my average daily commutes to work. Does it take a long time for the truck to learn the correct estimate, or is there maybe a setting throwing it off?
Sponsored

Bigisland Guy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat SR Build group 10/24/2022
Occupation
Property Mgmt
First off our trucks don't have as accurate readings as compared toTesla which incorporates better software engineering, therefore it's important to remember that most folks refer to it as the GOM (Guess O Meter). My driving experience so far for the past 5K miles has been anywhere from 1.2 KW up to 15.7 KW and my expected range at 100% has been as low as 196 to as high as 248 miles of range. The variations in my millage can be accounted for by my terrain which varies from the mountains, the desert, the beach, and the city. I do have other EV vehicles and only the Tesla has the most accurate reading. The other EVs were modified regular ICE converted to EV and their GOMs were similar. I still don't have any reservations about my Lightning as it's so much better than my old ICE F150.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
When the thermal conditions at rest match the baseline 90%+ SOC to DTE logic

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I have about 300mi on my pro so far, averaging 2.8mi/kwh. The truck still says at 90% charge I will have 190mi of range, which seems a bit low for how economical I have been so far with my average daily commutes to work. Does it take a long time for the truck to learn the correct estimate, or is there maybe a setting throwing it off?
I'm averaging far below 2.8 and my guess at 90% is 202-209. Which with the warmer temps is pretty accurate.

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
When does the range prediction get more "accurate"?
I'd say that was before the cold weather range griping coerced Ford into doing a Participation Trophy DTE update. Maybe they'll have summer/winter versions of the Range Guesser. :) I don't pay attention to it anyway.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I don't know if it's actually doing anything, but I go into the My EV Driving page and remove any erroneous trips. At one point, it accurately estimated my range using my avg of 2.8.

I've taken two road trips in the past two weeks and now my GOM is estimating based on avg of 2.3. That makes sense, 2.8 daily commute and 1.9-2.0 in road trips. I need to write down my road trip logs (Ford give us an export button! ) and remove them. Will be interesting to see if my estimate goes back up.

I'm in the SW and have had mild temps in Feb/Mar, we are 60-90's this past week.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
What is the temperature where you're at?

My GOM was always way too high over the winter for the weather conditions in SE Michigan. Always showed 285 to 290 miles of range at 90% charge on my ER battery. My 100 mile commute in cold weather would net me 1.7 to 1.8 mi/kWh and result in a reduction on my GOM of around 190 miles.

Now that it is unseasonably warm here, with temperatures in the 50's overnight, and high 70's during the day, I'm getting 2.2 to 2.3 mi/kWh and my GOM is pretty accurate.

All that will change next week when it gets cold again. Your best bet is to do the math. That will be the most accurate way to know your true range since Ford caved and made the GOM innacurate.

"battery size" x "battery percentage" x "mi/kwh"

Example: 131 x .75 x 2.3 = 226 miles of range. My truck currently shows 230, so with the warm weather it's close.

Ford F-150 Lightning When does the range prediction get more "accurate"? Screenshot_20230413_093954_FordPass
Ford F-150 Lightning When does the range prediction get more "accurate"? Screenshot_20230413_094007_FordPass

Last edited:

spadesaspade

First Name
Spadeit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning, Hyundai Sonata
There are many factors that affect the GoM range. With more use you'll understand how to more accurately gauge the driving range based on % of battery left. For my pro, city driving gets me 3 mi/kwh and highway is 2.3 mi/kwh in fair weather. Temperatures below 45Fstart having an impact and range is reduced to about 2.5 mi/kwh in city and I have seen as low as 1.5mi/kwh on the highway in sub zero temps.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
First off our trucks don't have as accurate readings as compared toTesla which incorporates better software engineering, therefore it's important to remember that most folks refer to it as the GOM (Guess O Meter).
Tesla is not more accurate. It's more optimistic compared to Ford. There is actually no way to make GOM completely accurate since many factors have impact on real range. Best you can do is pay attention to battery SOC %.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Tesla is not more accurate. It's more optimistic compared to Ford. There is actually no way to make GOM completely accurate since many factors have impact on real range. Best you can do is pay attention to battery SOC %.
My GOM was pretty darn accurate before the DTE update. Better than my last ICE truck before I fixed it in engineering mode.

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
I can drive the same route in similar weather conditions, same accelaration and braking, and get 1.9 kWh on one drive and 3.1 the next. Makes no sense.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I can drive the same route in similar weather conditions, same accelaration and braking, and get 1.9 kWh on one drive and 3.1 the next. Makes no sense.
I have never seen anything like that. only when conditions change drastically.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Its PJ Bia

Its PJ Bia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO
I've never had swings that big, but I have seen one day driving home I'll hit 3.0mi/kwh, and then the next day with the same temp outside its 2.4. I just pay attention to the battery % and that stays the same at about 5-6% battery usage for the drive.

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
Battery percentage is very consistent. It's the GOM that's all over the place. It gets even worse if I remote start the truck and let it sit for a while.
Sponsored