• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Will companies adopt the Tesla NACS and drop CCS?

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
With Tesla opening up its patents on the Tesla connector over a month back, do we think companies will adopt the Tesla NACS and drop CCS?

Also, what would it take to build a high-amperage Tesla NACS to CCS connector? I know there are a few companies making a CCS to NACS (including Tesla), but nothing going back the other way.
Sponsored

Nick503955

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat, 2021 Tesla Model Y
It doesn't sound like the industry is eager to move over.

https://www.charin.global/news/char...-to-open-the-north-america-charging-standard/
CharIN applauds Tesla for including DIN 70121 and ISO 15118-02 communication standards for the NACS proposal. We also appreciate Tesla’s effort to move the e-mobility market forward even faster than it is moving now.

However, we encourage stakeholders to investigate ways to focus on market acceleration rather than the creation of yet another form factor alternative, which will lead to further consumer confusion and delay EV adoption. CCS has gone through many years of rigorous standardization processes, which is a required activity for any new standard proposal. After a decade of collaborative work, the domestic and international EV industry has aligned around CCS.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Too bad Tesla didn't do this 5 to 10 years ago. You'll never get the industry to adopt it now. Too much has been invested in CCS.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
With Tesla opening up its patents on the Tesla connector over a month back, do we think companies will adopt the Tesla NACS and drop CCS?

Also, what would it take to build a high-amperage Tesla NACS to CCS connector? I know there are a few companies making a CCS to NACS (including Tesla), but nothing going back the other way.
Discussed several times already.

No. No one is moving to Tesla's standard.

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Also, what would it take to build a high-amperage Tesla NACS to CCS connector?
Probably would need some sort of cooling for a DCFC adapter from Tesla NACS to CCS. There are solid state cooling mechanisms, but probably pretty bulky overall.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Probably would need some sort of cooling for a DCFC adapter from Tesla NACS to CCS. There are solid state cooling mechanisms, but probably pretty bulky overall.
Probably not. If the adapter is short enough there should be negligible resistance, and probably decent conductive cooling to the existing connector.

The wire from your vehicle's charging port to the battery typically isn't cooled either.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
The Tesla Connector is like Betamax. It's technologically superior but they blew their opportunity for it to be the standard.
Is it though? It seems like the bulk of the benefit is purely aesthetic, and the remainder is reserved for a theoretical future.

Also, IMO, sharing pins for AC and DC is a net negative that opens the door to destroying hardware through software bugs or contactor failures.

Also also, it doesn't seem NACS supports V2H.

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Is it though? It seems like the bulk of the benefit is purely aesthetic, and the remainder is reserved for a theoretical future.

Also, IMO, sharing pins for AC and DC is a net negative that opens the door to destroying hardware through software bugs or contactor failures.

That's the thing - it's superior for a more closed set of application. Lower voltages, shorter cords, accepting higher hardware temps, etc.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
That's the thing - it's superior for a more closed set of application. Lower voltages, shorter cords, accepting higher hardware temps, etc.
Even that is farther than I'm willing to go. In fact, I've been reading more since I posted earlier, and I think that at this point I'm comfortable saying that unless you need it because it's the only connector on your vehicle, it's just straight up worse than CCS.

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (E4X), F-150 Lightning (Lariat ER)

Also remember that the biggest part of the Tesla experience is in the software. The Tesla connector uses a different protocol. That's not being offered up, just the connector.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
The Tesla Connector is like Betamax. It's technologically superior but they blew their opportunity for it to be the standard.
This is exactly what I've been telling people.. at least those of us who were around and aware of it in the beta vs VHS days. All too often the better standard is left behind in favor of what we already have or what is more convenient at the time.

CCS is just fine. Tesla is technically superior and more elegant, but in the end it's not going to make one bit of difference to Joe Consumer. People will have to buy adapters for a while. Some companies, most likely just Tesla, will incorporate both plugs on their upcoming vehicles. Eventually everything will be the same or perhaps changed to a new universal standard in the next decade or two or three.

Jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, 2019 Fusion Energi, 2016 Escape

No. Too much inertia for CCS. Remember Betamax and VHS? (yeah, I see now someone already said this)
Sponsored