• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Is there an issue with charging over 90%?
It is what Ford recommends for the Mach-e for everyday charging. Lithium ion batteries don't like to stay at 100 percent - it causes damage over time and reduces their life. Ford builds in a buffer, but staying below 100 for day to day use is best.
Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Is there an issue with charging over 90%?
Leaving the battery at 100% for an extended period of time can cause it to degrade faster. It's fine to charge to 100% periodically, just start driving within a few hours and it'll be fine.

Jerry The Cowboy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning on order
Occupation
High End Home Electronics
It is what Ford recommends for the Mach-e for everyday charging. Lithium ion batteries don't like to stay at 100 percent - it causes damage over time and reduces their life. Ford builds in a buffer, but staying below 100 for day to day use is best.
I am curious to know what Ford says specifically on this issue. Tesla is very specific and even builds in the 90% everyday limit into the charge graph on the car's touchscreen.

Jerry The Cowboy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning on order
Occupation
High End Home Electronics
Sorry if you have already answered this.
That is Platinum correct?
How is the ride and quietness?
Do you have a Tesla and if so how does it compare?
Do you have a Youtube channel?
If you don't can you please start one!!

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I am curious to know what Ford says specifically on this issue. Tesla is very specific and even builds in the 90% everyday limit into the charge graph on the car's touchscreen.
The Lightning manual just says below 100, which is weird. The Mach-e specifically says 90 percent (which is closer to 85 percent of full capacity).

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
SQM Lariat! That’s my baby! 😁

Sponsored

F150LER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
You left out the 20 hours of recharge time when you attempt to drive 100 mph for 10 hours in a Lightning. It would be more efficient but not nearly as exciting to drive 50 MPH for 20 hours with 3 hours of recharge time
With blue cruise and some sun glasses I could make that work.

OP
OP
oneguynick

oneguynick

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
CTO
As I’m waiting for my Antimatter Blue Platinum I’m curious about:

1.) Unleashed Audio system (are you a music guy and what are you comparing it to)?

2.) How are the massaging seats?

3.) Did you get thefully reclining seats, and if so how is that?
1.) We have had BMW, Audi, and most recently, the premium audio on our Tesla Model 3. The F150 is good, but more aggressive on the bass than I like. From an audiophile, perspective, it's not apples-to-apples to compare, but here I go.

The Tesla is playing FLAC from a USB drive versus streaming via BT on my phone in the lightning. Another thing I would say is there is some rattle in the cab when playing loudly. I was merely testing, though, not an audio level I would use for any amount of time. The surround sound component seems much better than stereo only setting.

2.) I hate massage anyways, so it's lost on me. Our first friends to ride in it seemed to like it, though. To each their own. The seats are overall very comfortable regardless of the massage setting or not.

3.) We did, and they are fantastic. We use the Netflix, Hulu, etc. feature extensively in our Tesla. Being prior military 15 minutes early is on time, so I find myself in a parking lot with time to burn. The fully reclining seats + video services would be excellent. I hope that gets added.

OP
OP
oneguynick

oneguynick

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
CTO
OP
OP
oneguynick

oneguynick

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
CTO
I expected some warning when I set it for 100% last night for our trip to Mackinac Island today. Nadda. I will share the charging stats later, but I plugged into a NEMA 14-50 connector I used for my Tesla last night with 158mi, and it is still charging. The app says 0715 before it's to 100%.

That makes sense given the difference in battery pack sizes, but I was taken aback by the time difference. My wife and I will need to wrap our heads around the "same range, different capacity."

Given the battery chemistry, I hope Ford adds some more guidance on charging and capacity. If the battery is left at 100% charge and the depth of discharge is constantly near nil, it will destroy the system's longevity.
Sponsored