• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Poor treadwear - General Grabber All Season

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
A quick traipse through Google asking "does all wheel drive wear tires faster" will get you all the answers from any source that you can imagine.

Some say more power goes to the front than the rear, some is about weight, blah, blah, blah. I've always been told they do, and that is my experience as well with prior AWD Subaru and a Sienna van (I called that one the Emasculator.)
I had a Infiniti M35x that I (and by I, I mean mostly my wife) got more mileage than my Michelin Pilot Sport tires were rated for. The tire guy was impressed at our results. YMMV
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I got 90k out of a pair of tires on a Ford Transit van with the 3.5L ecoboost. Amazing considering I use that van to haul and it seriously hauled a$$. I also towed with it quite a bit.

I credit the fact that I was on the open interstate 90% of the time. I ran an expedited freight/cargo service and drove that thing DC-Cali more times than I can count. I put 175,000 miles on it in 2yrs.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I am a little over 7k miles on mine and haven't noticed anything abnormal about the wear, but I haven't measured it either. I won't be too upset if they wear fast though, overall I haven't been too impressed with the Grabbers. Still haven't found a great alternative that doesn't kill range through.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I’ll have to check mine. I have 11k miles but I haven’t noticed anything visually. Considering it’s a 6800 pound vehicle with 580hp, it’s a tire’s worst nightmare.
I stuck my finger in the treads (the scientific way to check tread depth) and the depth seems on the lower side. If I had to guess it's a little over 50% left. I'll put some calipers to them later.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I stuck my finger in the treads (the scientific way to check tread depth) and the depth seems on the lower side. If I had to guess it's a little over 50% left. I'll put some calipers to them later.
Uneven wear ?
Time to rotate - X pattern ?

Sponsored

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
You're likely looking at the retail version of the tire when you see the 65K tread warranty. If you look online you will see they have different part numbers but are the same tire.

The OEM tire typically has a softer rubber which means faster wear.

My 2021 F-150 PB had roughly 16K miles and the tires were at 4/32.

Ford has a mileage matrix for how much they will cover when it comes to pre mature wear. The $ amount they will provide is based off how many miles are on the vehicle. I had a 2017 Escape that has one tire at 3/32 and they took care of 50% of the cost to replace them. Thing that sucked was you had to use the same tire for the replacements..
I am totally convinced that OEM tires omit wear compounds to save the vehicle manufacturers a few dollars per tire. I have purchased 6 different new vehicles from different manufacturers that required replacement of OEM tires between 14,000 and 18,000 miles. In 4 cases, I replaced the OEM tires with the "same" tire brand and model, and the replacement tires lasted at least twice the mileage as the OEM's.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I am totally convinced that OEM tires omit wear compounds to save the vehicle manufacturers a few dollars per tire. I have purchased 6 different new vehicles from different manufacturers that required replacement of OEM tires between 14,000 and 18,000 miles. In 4 cases, I replaced the OEM tires with the "same" tire brand and model, and the replacement tires lasted at least twice the mileage as the OEM's.
The OE tires are definitely different, even compared to the same tires purchased as replacements. I usually don't have problems with tread wear, but the replacement tires never get the same mileage. Always lower.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Must be a lightweight shop, (LOL) they can lift an F250 they can lift a Lightning.
Are there specific lift / jack points when lifting up the Lightning ??

Sponsored

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
The OE tires are definitely different, even compared to the same tires purchased as replacements. I usually don't have problems with tread wear, but the replacement tires never get the same mileage. Always lower.
In all of my cases, the replacement tires got at least twice the mileage as OEM tires.

klossfam

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat & 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ltd
Occupation
Retired
They are pretty normal for OEM in my opinion. I have 28,000 miles on the Grabbers and they are down to 5/32nds. I rotate (rearward cross) every 5k miles.

So they are just usable the rest of the summer then new rubber for the Western NY winter. Probably going to Kumho HT51s that are a true all weather.

Will hurt range a little but they are quiet and 70% of a winter tire (used them in the past on a 2020 Ridgeline).

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
They are pretty normal for OEM in my opinion. I have 28,000 miles on the Grabbers and they are down to 5/32nds. I rotate (rearward cross) every 5k miles.

So they are just usable the rest of the summer then new rubber for the Western NY winter. Probably going to Kumho HT51s that are a true all weather.

Will hurt range a little but they are quiet and 70% of a winter tire (used them in the past on a 2020 Ridgeline).
Do you have a link? I only see 114 weight rating

klossfam

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat & 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Do you have a link? I only see 114 weight rating
That is the issue although a 114 vs 116 with a XL rating isn't necessarily a deal breaker. The only 116 XL tire that I know of - That isn't an A/T - is the Falken Ziex CT60. It's a 116H XL in 275/60R20 so load is the same with a better speed rating. About $19 more than the Gen Grabber...

May be the best choice as I agree on keeping rhe load rating high on a nearly 7k lb truck.
Sponsored