• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Recommended Charger - ChargePoint Home Flex , FLO Home X5 EV Charger . Emporia EV Charger

itdwebman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 TOYT 4Runner, 2023 Lariat ER
Hi,
If not using the Ford Charge Station Pro - which L2 chargers do you recommend?
ChargePoint Home Flex, FLO Home X5 EV Charger. Emporia EV Charger.
This would be a 60A Circuit and 48A charging.

Anyone have any experience/issues with these EV chargers for a ER Lariat

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bigisland Guy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat SR Build group 10/24/2022
Occupation
Property Mgmt
If you don't need the 80 amps because you have a SR then my votes on Tesla Universal. We have had Juice Box, Clipper, and Tesla since 2014 in our homes and shop. Overall they worked but the software controls on them needed updates etc., while the Tesla has worked seamlessly.
https://shop.tesla.com/product/universal-wall-connector

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
This is just an opinion…but if you’re not going to go with the Ford charger, I’d actually recommend going with a Tesla NACS wall charger and an adapter. The cost will be about the same, and you’ll be able to future proof as everyone is starting to switch over. The adapter will also come in handy on road trips.

Sponsored

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
I’ve used the Home Flex last 4 months & it charges the LT ER fine at 30ish amps. Adds about 23 miles an hour & replaces my daily commute is in 4 hours. I’ll eventually direct wire it for the 50 amp capacity. That would replace the daily use in 2.5 or so hours. I think the real trick is having two EVs in the garage. What we are doing is charge the MME ST on 120v because the wife drives a few miles a day, 30-40 total miles per week. If two of us were driving each vehicle 100 miles a day, that’d be hard to manage currently, speaking.

mme_and_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Iced White, 2023 Lightning Platinum
I recommend you don't use a wi-fi charger. It's a PIA for no real benefit in a home. Others can disagree. I use a Grizzle 40 AMP and it has been perfect.

Additionally, I have the included 80 AMP with my ER battery from Ford, and it has been twice as fast as expected. Ford's has wi-fi for some reason I don't care enough about it to read up. I just want to plug-in and get charged. both do that. I also have a Charge-point with wi-fi for when visiting family needs a charge. Charge-point is great, but again the wi-fi is over-kill in my opinion.

These are my opinions and experiences. I hope you enjoy the fill-up away from a gas station.

(I guess everything must have wi-fi these days. Washers and dryers have wi-fi. Really, I need to start the washing machine from a remote location.)

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
I’ve been using CP home flex for a year. It’s great. If I had to buy a new one I’d get the Tesla universal…. In fact I preordered one that will only cost me ~$6 after local PUD, state and Federal credits.

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
I recommend you don't use a wi-fi charger. It's a PIA for no real benefit in a home. Others can disagree. I use a Grizzle 40 AMP and it has been perfect.

Additionally, I have the included 80 AMP with my ER battery from Ford, and it has been twice as fast as expected. Ford's has wi-fi for some reason I don't care enough about it to read up. I just want to plug-in and get charged. both do that. I also have a Charge-point with wi-fi for when visiting family needs a charge. Charge-point is great, but again the wi-fi is over-kill in my opinion.

These are my opinions and experiences. I hope you enjoy the fill-up away from a gas station.

(I guess everything must have wi-fi these days. Washers and dryers have wi-fi. Really, I need to start the washing machine from a remote location.)
Well many folks already have TOU (Time of Use) plans that will punish them for "just plug it in and walk". And for the most part, the EVSE that can have you decide when to charge to avoid punishing utility rates (try $0.35/kwh versus $0.03 after midnight in Missouri soon) are wifi in some manner. Many more will have TOU soon.

Then there is the matter of perhaps you have two vehicles in the same garage, so you need to time the charging....

Finally, you may very well discover that your vehicle that was "supposed to be fine with 100% charging" is not so fine with it. The smarter EVSE can assist you in charging to say 80% to improve battery life, while at the same time taking advantage of low night time rates.....

Other than the above, no reason to own a smart charger. If your utility doesn't care when you charge and you have only one EV, and it has a battery that you think is safe to charge to 100% every day, then by all means, buy the cheapest dumb charger and charge away.......

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
By far the only charger that has been shown to increase the value of a home is the Tesla charger. It's also more reliable.

Just get an adapter (https://ev-lectron.com/products/lec...tination-chargers-and-mobile-connectors-black) to work with the truck, I have never had any issues fully charging my truck and just a few hours after a long drive with a Tesla charger.

plus it charges our MY. Go Tesla only.

Sponsored

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2022 Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Conservationist
I’ve been charging my Lightning Lariat with an Emporia Level 2 charger for six months. For anyone with a solar array, the Emporia is a no-brainer!

That’s because you can pair it with an energy monitor, and it allows you to charge your car automatically using only excess solar energy. It’s a great system and it works really well. Mine is de-rated to charging at 40 amps, since I have only a 50 amp circuit to my detached garage.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
I recommend the Emporia. Got one for my wife's Lightning. I already had a "dumb" EVSE for my FFE that delivers 7.2 kW (32 A) and figured we would need the full 11.2 kW (48 A) that the Emporia can deliver.

I liked the power monitoring through the app so much that we've installed their power monitoring system on our main and sub panels. Now I can monitor my "dumb" EVSE as well.

Funny thing, while its nice that the Emporia can deliver 11.2 kW when needed, we usually leave it set to only deliver 3.6 kW (16 A). During the week, the Lightning only charges between midnight and 6 am, which is plenty of time to bring it up to the 90% target from typical weekday driving. On weekends, it will charge anytime and if we need it topped up quicker, we can turn it up.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Well many folks already have TOU (Time of Use) plans that will punish them for "just plug it in and walk". And for the most part, the EVSE that can have you decide when to charge to avoid punishing utility rates (try $0.35/kwh versus $0.03 after midnight in Missouri soon) are wifi in some manner. Many more will have TOU soon.

Then there is the matter of perhaps you have two vehicles in the same garage, so you need to time the charging....

Finally, you may very well discover that your vehicle that was "supposed to be fine with 100% charging" is not so fine with it. The smarter EVSE can assist you in charging to say 80% to improve battery life, while at the same time taking advantage of low night time rates.....

Other than the above, no reason to own a smart charger. If your utility doesn't care when you charge and you have only one EV, and it has a battery that you think is safe to charge to 100% every day, then by all means, buy the cheapest dumb charger and charge away.......
I don't need wifi to charge to 80% or set time of day for lower rates with my 2012 Nissan Leaf!

Is that really not possible with the Ford Lightning?

All the charge timer settings are on-board my Leaf.

On the other hand I have heard/read many stories about problems with the wifi/Blue Tooth on the Lightning...just search and you will find them.

I suppose if you need remote setting of parameters, you need some kind of wifi or cellular connection, but otherwise?

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
By far the only charger that has been shown to increase the value of a home is the Tesla charger. It's also more reliable.

Just get an adapter (https://ev-lectron.com/products/lec...tination-chargers-and-mobile-connectors-black) to work with the truck, I have never had any issues fully charging my truck and just a few hours after a long drive with a Tesla charger.

plus it charges our MY. Go Tesla only.
Since he's got a ER Lariat, I would recommend against the 48A Lectron. It's easy to forget it's only 48A capable and can cause a panic when you realize you're inadvertently charging at 80A...ask me how I know.

OP
OP
itdwebman

itdwebman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 TOYT 4Runner, 2023 Lariat ER
Thanks everyone - very helpful in making my decision for a second Charger/location. It is my plan to install the Ford Station Pro - but it is possible my electric company will not find is compatible with reduced EV charging rates (confirming with them next week).
Sponsored