• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Home charger for 2022 Lariat ER

jccampb

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retail Manager
I bought my lightning used (with only 3300 miles on it) so I did not get the pro charger. I purchased a chargepoint home flex and should be installed tomorrow. Im having a dedicated hardwired 80a circuit installed so I can take advantage of the 50a charge speeds. My question is: has anyone went this route? If so, what speeds are you seeing? I did quite a bit of research before purchasing and it seems to be a good option. Thank you for any feedback.
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
sounds like overkill to me, the Ford EVSE supplied with my truck, at 30amps 240v, does just fine for overnight charging... not sure why you'd need the expense and 'speed' of anything faster...

OP
OP

jccampb

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retail Manager
sounds like overkill to me, the Ford EVSE supplied with my truck, at 30amps 240v, does just fine for overnight charging... not sure why you'd need the expense and 'speed' of anything faster...
I mean the charger was free with CC points and I know a guy. I’ll take overkill over worrying about lack of charge. But thanks for the condescension 🤣🤣

frautumn

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
I have the same charger for my 22 Lariat SR, charging at 40A on a 50A circuit (via plug in, not hard wired). I've been very happy with it, no issues at all after one year with the truck (tomorrow!).

Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Ohm's law: 50A*240V=12,000W or 12kW. If you have a 131 kWh battery you will be able to add 9.2%/hour. In reality it will be slightly less than this due to efficiency losses, in other words, heat.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
You can charge at 48 amps (probably the max, not 50) with a 60 amp breaker, not sure why you'd need an 80 amp

OP
OP

jccampb

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retail Manager
Me neither. Guess I’m an idiot.

OP
OP

jccampb

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retail Manager
Ohm's law: 50A*240V=12,000W or 12kW. If you have a 131 kWh battery you will be able to add 9.2%/hour. In reality it will be slightly less than this due to efficiency losses, in other words, heat.
thank you for the most scientific and intellectual response I have received.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Because full charge with one could be 20 hours vs 12 hours with the other.

Sponsored

#1 Scuba

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 F350,1997 F350
I have the Ford 80 Amp charger and had my electrician install it per the included instructions. I chose to set the internal switch at 48 Amps and have used it for almost one year with no problems.

Last edited:

Stevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I have the ChargePoint flex charger. Set to 48 amp on a 60 amp breaker. I have 75 amp rated wire and could have installed the charge station pro the truck came with but decided to sell it instead. I think the FCSP was a bad solution for most people. Most people don’t have a spare 100 amps or the need for the home backup system. I was never planning on using the home backup solution since it was too costly and would not work well with my home power situation. I didn’t like the idea of having to deal with the heavier cable and larger connector everyday for no reason either.

I have had no trouble with the ChargePoint in the 6 month I have had it. The connector work very well. The 23’ cable is just right for me. I only park and charge in the garage so I can’t speak to the outdoor performance.

I bought my lightning used (with only 3300 miles on it) so I did not get the pro charger. I purchased a chargepoint home flex and should be installed tomorrow. Im having a dedicated hardwired 80a circuit installed so I can take advantage of the 50a charge speeds. My question is: has anyone went this route? If so, what speeds are you seeing? I did quite a bit of research before purchasing and it seems to be a good option. Thank you for any feedback.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
It really depends on how you use the truck. I have a 40A charger and when I pull in at midnight with 20% charge and need to be at 100% charge at 7am next morning, it doesn't do it. I did this yesterday and only got to 70%. It takes 12 hours to fully charge 20%-100% on my 40a setup. 50 amp would be faster (about 9 hours). On my next house, I will install the 80A EVSE.

OP
OP

jccampb

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retail Manager
I have a relatively long commute and sometimes need to haul while at work to take care of customers. That’s why I want the 50a.

Charley

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightening
Occupation
Retired
I’ve been fighting with the supplied charger on my lariat ER for about eight months now. When I first had it installed the electrician didn’t read the instructions I later found out and at full power it overheated. Had the unit rewired for the proper 100 amp breaker and it fails to charge at maximum rate I’m sorry, I’m not a electrician obviously. I set the charger back to 64 in the box and I get more than adequate charging at night to full power by the next day 100%. When I need a quicker, faster charge, I’m a little frustrated I can’t give it full power. I gave up on the Ford help Line a while back regarding this because I kept getting switched to people who didn’t know what the heck they were talking about. They did give me an extended warranty plan for the trouble I was having, but that still doesn’t fix my issue. Any suggestions?
Sponsored