• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Home charger for 2022 Lariat ER

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Ohm's law: 50A*240V=12,000W or 12kW. If you have a 131 kWh battery you will be able to add 9.2%/hour. In reality it will be slightly less than this due to efficiency losses, in other words, heat.
First, I think you'll get 48amps, but let's leave that aside.

12kw TO the vehicle. Around 10.8 IN the vehicle. 131/10.8 = 8.2% per hour with the loss. Maybe a hair higher.
Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
I’ve been fighting with the supplied charger on my lariat ER for about eight months now. When I first had it installed the electrician didn’t read the instructions I later found out and at full power it overheated. Had the unit rewired for the proper 100 amp breaker and it fails to charge at maximum rate I’m sorry, I’m not a electrician obviously. I set the charger back to 64 in the box and I get more than adequate charging at night to full power by the next day 100%. When I need a quicker, faster charge, I’m a little frustrated I can’t give it full power. I gave up on the Ford help Line a while back regarding this because I kept getting switched to people who didn’t know what the heck they were talking about. They did give me an extended warranty plan for the trouble I was having, but that still doesn’t fix my issue. Any suggestions?
I've read that if you update the FCSP you should have fewer issues. I'm in the same boat as you though. I installed a FCSP in a garage without internet access. I tried updating it using the Mobile hotspot on my phone but it didn't work right away and I gave up. It faulted once at 80 amps so I set it to 64 and it's been fine. It's good enough so I haven't screwed with it further.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
When I first had it installed the electrician didn’t read the instructions I later found out and at full power it overheated.
What software version is your FCSP/EVSE at?

This is mine with latest firmware release.
Ford F-150 Lightning Home charger for 2022 Lariat ER 1688697999080

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Oddly enough, he can get 50A out of a Home Flex. Unless he's future-proofing, those extra 2A (~ 1 mi./range per hr) are going to cost a bundle in copper.
I've installed a couple ChargePoint Home Flex units. They're nice. And my wire runs were all > 20ft, I kept them with 6AWG THHN and on 60A breakers. The couple extra AMPs they support did not justify the extra materials/install cost. And if you can support an 80A circuit, why not just go 100A and install the Ford CSP so it can charge at the full 80A? Or even if you install the Ford CSP on the 80A circuit, it will charge the Lightning ER at up to 64A.

Sponsored

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
sounds like overkill to me, the Ford EVSE supplied with my truck, at 30amps 240v, does just fine for overnight charging... not sure why you'd need the expense and 'speed' of anything faster...
With a 30 amp circuit it takes 13 hours to go from 10% to 90% with the ER battery.

So if you ever think you might get home late with a low battery and want to leave in the morning with a mostly full battery.... well that would be why you'd need the speed.

To put it another way... if you're not sure why you'd need the speed then you probably don't need the bigger battery either.

KemperC

First Name
Kem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
I bought my lightning used (with only 3300 miles on it) so I did not get the pro charger. I purchased a chargepoint home flex and should be installed tomorrow. Im having a dedicated hardwired 80a circuit installed so I can take advantage of the 50a charge speeds. My question is: has anyone went this route? If so, what speeds are you seeing? I did quite a bit of research before purchasing and it seems to be a good option. Thank you for any feedback.
Congrats. I use a 40 amp Grizzle charger (50amp circuit) and have recorded stats for all my charges. So my max rate would be 9.6 kw and I see an average of 9.0kw. A few cases as low as 8.5kw. Dealer says this is normal.
Sponsored