- Thread starter
- #1
Ford CEO Jim Farley Agrees With Fox News Host That Canada 'Sold Their Soul'
By Brett Foote
April 14, 2026 11:45 am
Early this year, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney opted to slash that country's tariffs on imported Chinese vehicles, and allow for the sale of up to 49,000 units of models coming from that country - a number that will grow to around 70,000 in the next five years. This comes after Canada previously placed a de facto ban on such vehicles, which is currently the case in the U.S., due to its high tariffs and a ban on connected vehicles containing Chinese hardware or software. Now, Ford CEO Jim Farley is among a few criticizing Canada's decision.
In a recent interview with Fox News, reporter Brian Kilmeade said "Canada sold their soul to China, right?" Farley resounded by saying "Yeah, I mean they have a policy where they're going to allow some limited imports of Chinese vehicles, and I sure hope we don't allow them to come across the border."
In the same interview, Farley added that "we should not let them into our country, because the economic impact...manufacturing is the heart and soul of our country. And for us to lose that...to those exports, would be devastating for our country. That doesn't even include the cyber and privacy risk of a Chinese vehicle. All the vehicles have 10 cameras, they can collect a lot of data. There is no way this is a fair fight."
Farley certainly isn't alone in people or entities criticizing Canada's decision to allow the sale of Chinese vehicles in that country. The American Automotive Policy Council and the Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers’ Association - which represents Ford and many of its peers - also opposes the move, which is true of certain lawmakers, some of whom are calling for a total ban of those same vehicles from the U.S. In the meantime, Chinese automakers aren't wasting any time moving into the Canadian market, as BYD already plans to open 20 stores there by 2027.
By Brett Foote
April 14, 2026 11:45 am
Early this year, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney opted to slash that country's tariffs on imported Chinese vehicles, and allow for the sale of up to 49,000 units of models coming from that country - a number that will grow to around 70,000 in the next five years. This comes after Canada previously placed a de facto ban on such vehicles, which is currently the case in the U.S., due to its high tariffs and a ban on connected vehicles containing Chinese hardware or software. Now, Ford CEO Jim Farley is among a few criticizing Canada's decision.
In a recent interview with Fox News, reporter Brian Kilmeade said "Canada sold their soul to China, right?" Farley resounded by saying "Yeah, I mean they have a policy where they're going to allow some limited imports of Chinese vehicles, and I sure hope we don't allow them to come across the border."
In the same interview, Farley added that "we should not let them into our country, because the economic impact...manufacturing is the heart and soul of our country. And for us to lose that...to those exports, would be devastating for our country. That doesn't even include the cyber and privacy risk of a Chinese vehicle. All the vehicles have 10 cameras, they can collect a lot of data. There is no way this is a fair fight."
Farley certainly isn't alone in people or entities criticizing Canada's decision to allow the sale of Chinese vehicles in that country. The American Automotive Policy Council and the Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers’ Association - which represents Ford and many of its peers - also opposes the move, which is true of certain lawmakers, some of whom are calling for a total ban of those same vehicles from the U.S. In the meantime, Chinese automakers aren't wasting any time moving into the Canadian market, as BYD already plans to open 20 stores there by 2027.
Sponsored
