• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

‘22 Pro Totaled: Advice Please

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
USAA is a good company but don't think you won't have to do some homework. Every insured should know what their coverage is before they ESign their first policy. Lawyers are great only if you have to use them. USAA uses a 'Third Party' company to 'Independently' provide like vehicles for values. It may be independent, but their paid by the insurance companies. Find comps for your vehicle and the other Insurance company should be on the hook for a rental. Don't let them threaten to pull the rental if you don't settle. Settle when it's fair and a win/win.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I think all of us are curious what "totalled" looks like. On Tesla's it doesn't take much to get that designation due to how expensive they can be to fix. Do you have any pictures?

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I think all of us are curious what "totalled" looks like. On Tesla's it doesn't take much to get that designation due to how expensive they can be to fix. Do you have any pictures?
OP said the frame is bent, that will total just about any truck because they aren't going to pay for the time and labor to tear the vehicle down to the frame. If they could even get a replacement frame from Ford.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mmcguirk

mmcguirk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Don't have any good photos unfortunately. The missing wheel with part of the trailing arm and the axle is about 40 yards up the road. The frame is definitely bent in the area of the missing wheel and, according to the inspection, in three other places. The inspection report lists $37K in repairs and suggests that the rear motor and battery may be damaged but is not included in the total. As the USAA inspector walked me through the report, he must have mentioned "liability" 100 times. For example, he showed me a scratch on the right front wheel and said it had to be replaced for $1190. Why? Liability. If anything were to happen to that wheel and cause an accident a year from now, USAA could be liable. Incidentally, the only codes listed in the scan report had to do with the anti-lock brake system.
Ford F-150 Lightning ‘22 Pro Totaled: Advice Please PXL_20230406_113622803

s_c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Owner
Don't have any good photos unfortunately. The missing wheel with part of the trailing arm and the axle is about 40 yards up the road. The frame is definitely bent in the area of the missing wheel and, according to the inspection, in three other places. The inspection report lists $37K in repairs and suggests that the rear motor and battery may be damaged but is not included in the total. As the USAA inspector walked me through the report, he must have mentioned "liability" 100 times. For example, he showed me a scratch on the right front wheel and said it had to be replaced for $1190. Why? Liability. If anything were to happen to that wheel and cause an accident a year from now, USAA could be liable. Incidentally, the only codes listed in the scan report had to do with the anti-lock brake system.
PXL_20230406_113622803.jpg
Wow that photo hit me with sadness! Great photo though, first one like that I've seen

Looking at it I have to wonder how that felt - never seen a wheel ripped clean off like that. You said the truck got spun around? Glad to see it didn't get sent rolling

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
The accident: early morning on a narrow country road, the driver of opposite direction traffic fell asleep and drifted into my lane. I saw her coming and headed for the weeds trying to get away but she kept coming and clipped my left rear. The impact broke off the wheel/trailing arm/axle and bent the frame. After impact the truck gave me a good ride, spun me around 180 degrees and we ended up in a ditch on the other side of the road. My airbags did not deploy. Nobody was hurt.

Began this project in May 2021 and managed to get one of the few ‘22 Pros. It was delivered in September 2022 and driven about 5500 miles. I’m heartbroken as you might imagine.

Insurance: USAA declared it a “total loss” but I don’t have the $$ numbers yet. I’m not hopeful that they will come up with enough to replace the truck given the price increases… if I can even find one.

What’s your advice on strategy with USAA?

Where/how do I find another Pro?

For those of you who have been through similar situations, what should I be thinking about? All advice is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!
I am replying late....so I may have missed some replies.

Can you ask them to replace the vehicle in like?
They would have to find you a PRO, and buy it and hand it to you.
Of course, it would be a used PRO, with similar miles.

If it is too hard for them, they typically will offer you more money to make it easier on themselves and hope you accept.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I am replying late....so I may have missed some replies.

If it is too hard for them, they typically will offer you more money to make it easier on themselves and hope you accept.
In most states, USAA does not offer replacement insurance; only ACV or actual cash value. USAA does offer an endorsement to add 20% to the ACV.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mmcguirk

mmcguirk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Looking at it I have to wonder how that felt - never seen a wheel ripped clean off like that.
It was a surprisingly smooth ride. The truck slowly did a 180 and ended up headed in the opposite direction as in the photo. Evidence of the good ride... no airbags deployed!

OP
OP
mmcguirk

mmcguirk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I don't know what to expect from USAA but that's a good starting point... just find me another PRO. They have yet to reply with $$ figures but I would expect/hope that the recent price increases will affect their offer. In the meantime, I'm doing my own "replacement cost" research.

ullearn

First Name
Ullearn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Viper / Tesla
Mike how did it go? Still fighting it out?

OP
OP
mmcguirk

mmcguirk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Mike how did it go? Still fighting it out?
Sorry, should have updated... USAA gave me a generous settlement, enough to purchase an almost identical '22 Pro and have a little left over. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.