• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
That website is guessing
Probably true, but it is a pretty good guess….better than some I’ve seen where they were guessing 131 KWh was the max and the usable was 10% below that…..

Though technically interesting, it’s all semantics in everyday use, as wisely pointed out in this thread…….
Sponsored

OP
OP
Roy2001

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Probably true, but it is a pretty good guess….better than some I’ve seen where they were guessing 131 KWh was the max and the usable was 10% below that…..

Though technically interesting, it’s all semantics in everyday use, as wisely pointed out in this thread…….
Ford clearly stated that USABLE capacities are 98/131kWh.

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Good to know-- I thought I read somewhere that they *intended* to unlock more range on the older vehicles as well.

I know in the Podcasts with Darren Palmer he has stated the intent is to have continuous powertrain improvements to older vehicles thru OTA. He did specifically mention being able to "unlock" more range in future years.
That is correct. And there is some dispute among the non-experts as to whether that happened on some 2021s or not, because measurement is iffy.

A very large change to the Mach-E will be coming in October and again in Spring. This was announced around the F-150L assembly line launch earlier this year. Among other things, the UI will change to be closer to the F-150L. Unclear as to whether 2022 Mach-Es will see much change, but 2021s will.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
To thicken things, the OBD information on battery SOC has two different numbers, the "displayed SOC" and the "actual SOC". Right now, as my truck sits, the "displayed SOC" is 90.5%, while the "real SOC" is 85.6%. As you discharge, this inverts - a "displayed SOC" of 10% has an "actual SOC" that is more than 10%.

Ford F-150 Lightning 2022 Lightning Extended Range (ER) battery real capacity (not usable) = 143.4kWh and Standard Range (SR) =  107.6kWh Screenshot_20220825-110653_Torque

It's unclear whether this "actual SOC" is reflective of the 131 number or the 143 number, or somewhere in the middle.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Ford clearly stated that USABLE capacities are 98/131kWh.
Again, true…..but being a pragmatist…what is said for mass consumption isn’t necessarily what is…….

To thicken things, the OBD information on battery SOC has two different numbers, the "displayed SOC" and the "actual SOC". Right now, as my truck sits, the "displayed SOC" is 90.5%, while the "real SOC" is 85.6%. As you discharge, this inverts - a "displayed SOC" of 10% has an "actual SOC" that is more than 10%.

Screenshot_20220825-110653_Torque.jpg

It's unclear whether this "actual SOC" is reflective of the 131 number or the 143 number, or somewhere in the middle.
Regardless, it won’t impact most daily use…..unless you’re daily pushing the maximum range……

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Idk if this means anything, but i took delivery 8/17 with only 12 miles on truck. I don't think the computer had time to adapt to driving habits in that short span. When i picked up from dealer, it was charged to 100% and range was 240mi. So idk if something has already changed software wise for 22MY, or if it's just coincidence.
Your range estimator will change it's full charge GOM numbers as you drive and knows how you drive, where you drive, and how much energy is consumed as you add more miles.

My SR Lariat with 1000 miles on the odo is now adjusting to my drives, driving style, and energy consumption.

I figure once the heat wave stops and I turn off climate controls, I should probably start getting 20% or more range like my other EV has shown.

Currently, it is consistently showing around 260 miles per charge at 100% (15% increase over EPA range).

Come fall and winter where I don't have to use climate controls, I'll probably get 275 miles.

Ford F-150 Lightning 2022 Lightning Extended Range (ER) battery real capacity (not usable) = 143.4kWh and Standard Range (SR) =  107.6kWh Screenshot 2022-08-21 at 11.55.48 AM

OP
OP
Roy2001

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Your range estimator will change it's full charge GOM numbers as you drive and knows how you drive, where you drive, and how much energy is consumed as you add more miles.

My SR Lariat with 1000 miles on the odo is now adjusting to my drives, driving style, and energy consumption.

I figure once the heat wave stops and I turn off climate controls, I should probably start getting 20% or more range like my other EV has shown.

Currently, it is consistently showing around 260 miles per charge at 100% (15% increase over EPA range).

Come fall and winter where I don't have to use climate controls, I'll probably get 275 miles.

Screenshot 2022-08-21 at 11.55.48 AM.png
261 miles for 98kWh battery is very impressive indeed. You must drive a lot locally.

VirtualTed

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Sequoia, 2022 F-150 Lightning SR
Occupation
Software Development
I'm consumed with figuring out how much mileage I can get out of the SR XLT I have (that sticker for the SR was from me on Facebook). I'm also hoping that more mileage is "available" to us 2022 SR owners since Ford has announced 240 miles of range for 2023 owners.

Where is this range coming from?

Personally, I think it's simply a math adjustment in their calculation. Why I feel this way...

* "Making more battery available" would be a net-negative to the longevity of the battery, which is potentially detrimental to their 8 year battery warranty.

* LR Battery estimates were increased when SR were not before launch, even though SR is lighter by a few hundred pounds and buffer is the same for both batteries. I feel like they didn't increase the range of the SR simply because they were trying to convince everyone that LR was really the only way to go for marketing purposes, and because they weren't selling more Pro/XLT models early on in the ordering process.

* As posters in this forum have indicated, more than the advertised mileage is possible without any kind of software tweak or releasing of additional usable battery capacity simply by driving with a focus on economizing energy. Personally, I'm getting 2.5 average mi/kWh after 300 miles logged. (That's 245 miles of range on my 230 mile-rated XLT). The 261 miles posted above by metroshot is pretty awesome. If I didn't live where i have to go up/downhill every day, I think I could do better. I'm also running the A/C pretty hard as I live in sunny Las Vegas.

So, ultimately, if they adjust any range numbers, it's probably because they are changing the initial numbers you are given. Ultimately, it will still come down to driving style, environmental factors, weight, etc.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I'm consumed with figuring out how much mileage I can get out of the SR XLT I have (that sticker for the SR was from me on Facebook). I'm also hoping that more mileage is "available" to us 2022 SR owners since Ford has announced 240 miles of range for 2023 owners.

Where is this range coming from?

Personally, I think it's simply a math adjustment in their calculation. Why I feel this way...

* "Making more battery available" would be a net-negative to the longevity of the battery, which is potentially detrimental to their 8 year battery warranty.

* LR Battery estimates were increased when SR were not before launch, even though SR is lighter by a few hundred pounds and buffer is the same for both batteries. I feel like they didn't increase the range of the SR simply because they were trying to convince everyone that LR was really the only way to go for marketing purposes, and because they weren't selling more Pro/XLT models early on in the ordering process.

* As posters in this forum have indicated, more than the advertised mileage is possible without any kind of software tweak or releasing of additional usable battery capacity simply by driving with a focus on economizing energy. Personally, I'm getting 2.5 average mi/kWh after 300 miles logged. (That's 245 miles of range on my 230 mile-rated XLT). The 261 miles posted above by metroshot is pretty awesome. If I didn't live where i have to go up/downhill every day, I think I could do better. I'm also running the A/C pretty hard as I live in sunny Las Vegas.

So, ultimately, if they adjust any range numbers, it's probably because they are changing the initial numbers you are given. Ultimately, it will still come down to driving style, environmental factors, weight, etc.
The extra range on the SR trims is from making heated seats standard on all of the trucks. That let them factor in a lower HVAC load.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The first Model S had an EPA range of 265 miles.

A good friend of mine was the first or second, I can't recall which, to make it 400 miles on a single charge.

He didn't come anywhere near highway speeds, had climate off, windows closed, on a day that was comfortable enough to do so. And did so for HOURS.

No thanks. I'll take my 270 miles on ER. :)

Sponsored

VirtualTed

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Sequoia, 2022 F-150 Lightning SR
Occupation
Software Development
The extra range on the SR trims is from making heated seats standard on all of the trucks. That let them factor in a lower HVAC load.
Thanks FlasherZ. Did they actually mention this somewhere, or just a theory? If the former, then I guess there should be no expectation of 2022 owners to get an estimated range bump in the computer.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks FlasherZ. Did they actually mention this somewhere, or just a theory? If the former, then I guess there should be no expectation of 2022 owners to get an estimated range bump in the computer.
Well, that wasn't my post, but it came out during a video interview with Ford on how they squeaked more range out.

robert5090

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, 2022 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Sales
According to OP, he saw the truck up on a lift today and was able to see the number. This is for ER battery.

So Ford keeps close to 8% capacity reserved.

8C615C1F-604C-439A-88BD-9A411572E30A.jpeg

Update: We have a number for SR battery: 107.6kWh real capacity.
I'll take the credit!!!! We had the truck on the lift and noticed it. Thought I'd post it right away.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Did they actually mention this somewhere, or just a theory? If the former, then I guess there should be no expectation of 2022 owners to get an estimated range bump in the computer.
I also read it on an Auto news site from someone that had interviewed a Ford Rep, or an official Ford statement.

There is no actual Range Bump, MY22 trimss with heated seats are technically the same as the new range estimate for MY23. It is because all trims now have heated seats, the estimated load on HVAC has dropped because they no longer needed to average in vehicles without heated seats, which have a higher drain on a vehicle by heating it with air, versus some using heated seats and a lower temperature setting.

Actually really smart of Ford, they're betting the marketing gained is better than cost lost by adding to lower trims and possibly keeping people from buying higher trims.
Sponsored