• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2023 Charger or no charger?

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
The Ford charger is a rebadged Webasto Go unit, so that's an option as well.

But as others have stated, for $500 there's more intelligent options available.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Not complaining, just baffled Ford website
advertising incorrect information 8-months later.

Stating “vehicle charging equipment is not included on SR and shipped after purchase on ER” would have been helpful while ordering.
That statement applies to the Ford Charge Station Pro, which is an 80 amp charger that provides bidirectional capability.

The Ford Mobile Charger comes with the truck, if ordered. It used to be free, now it is $500. Ford selects it automatically, but gives you the option to remove it and save $500.

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
The Mobile Charger came with my 22 Lariat. I use it nightly to charge my whip and have for 6 months. Haven't had a problem with it, so unless someone can recommend a replacement for $500 or lower that is head and shoulders better than it, I'm sticking with it until it dies.

LMcqueen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
There might be some confusion. As far as I’ve seen, the mobile charger comes as a $500 non-removable option on all Lightnings. The home wall mountable charger is and option for SR trucks and the Ford Pro Charge Station is included with ER trucks. I used the mobile charger at 110v on my ER while I waited to get my FPCS from Sunrun which took 5 weeks, I don’t need that much charge so I was mostly doing it for pre-conditioning in the morning during the winter since the truck won’t fit in my garage. Unfortunately I’m not going to bother installing the wall charger since I hope to get rid of the truck since it’s spent over half the time I’ve owned it at the dealer.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
There might be some confusion. As far as I’ve seen, the mobile charger comes as a $500 non-removable option on all Lightnings.
To be precise, the option for the mobile charger is removable on any 2023 Lightning.
There was no price listed for 2022 orders, as it was standard for all 2022 Lightning.

EDIT: Removable for custom orders. If you are buying off the lot, than that is different.

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
There might be some confusion. As far as I’ve seen, the mobile charger comes as a $500 non-removable option on all Lightnings.
The confusion may be on how to remove it, but you can remove it. On the order screen just click on the picture box with the checkmark and the option is removed. Or click on the box with the small "i" and you get a screen showing more info on the option with a big button to "REMOVE". All the options work this way.

Default:
Ford F-150 Lightning 2023 Charger or no charger? 1682606464035

Removed: notice you can now add it (+)
Ford F-150 Lightning 2023 Charger or no charger? 1682606605256

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
There might be some confusion. As far as I’ve seen, the mobile charger comes as a $500 non-removable option on all Lightnings. The home wall mountable charger is and option for SR trucks and the Ford Pro Charge Station is included with ER trucks. I used the mobile charger at 110v on my ER while I waited to get my FPCS from Sunrun which took 5 weeks, I don’t need that much charge so I was mostly doing it for pre-conditioning in the morning during the winter since the truck won’t fit in my garage. Unfortunately I’m not going to bother installing the wall charger since I hope to get rid of the truck since it’s spent over half the time I’ve owned it at the dealer.
I could recommend a couple just off the top of my head. All would have at least 40a, adjustable current, and no built in detachable adapter with potential water entry fail point. Some would have remote connectivity and scheduling features.

However, if your EVSE is working and suiting your needs, there no point in spending extra money until your current one no longer solves your needs (or breaks).

Remember, the Ford mobile charger doesn't even do 32a (7%-ish SOC on an SR per hour, 40a does almost 10%). It's throttled to 30a. Why? Only reason I've come up with is it's compatible with Pro Power in the bed for charging other EVs.

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
The 2023 Order Guide says "Mobile Power Cord (120V/240V) is now a standalone option instead of standard" [page 1], and lists it as an option (code 66A) on all trims [pages 5, 8, 11, and 14 for Pro, XLT, Lariat, and Platinum respectively]. So this is a definite change from the 2022 model year, when it was included with all trucks. For the last few months, Ford's website has the option selected by default for the XLT, Lariat, and Pro trims (so you would have to de-select it manually to omit the mobile charger). This may have been different early in the model year.

Had I been thinking far enough ahead, I would have omitted the Mobile Power Cord from my build, and gone with a 3rd-party mobile Level 2 EVSE.

This is different from the Charge Station Pro -- the Charge Station Pro is included with the extended-range battery (ER XLT, ER Lariat, and Platinum) but is not available otherwise -- you can't even order it as an option. This is probably because the SR has a maximum Level 2 input of 11.3kW, while the ER can accept up to 19.2kW. While Ford's Connected Charge Station and a number of third-party EVSEs can deliver 11.3kW, the only 19.2kW EVSEs I'm aware of are the Charge Station Pro and Clipper Creek's CS-100.

The Connected Charge Station isn't available for order with the truck (it isn't on the website and isn't mentioned in the Order Guide). The product page on Ford's site lists it as sold out.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
It's an OK charger, but like @BennyTheBeaver said, not worth $500. It's a very basic charger with an adapter to use for level 1 or level 2 and that's it. No other features. No display, no option to change power rate, very bulky. You'll be happier with some other brand.
100% agree. It is limited in its utility and equivalent aftermarket options are less than 1/2 the price. It ONLY does 8-10A on Level 1 and 32A on Level 2. If you plug into a 30A 240v circuit, it will blow the breaker. Level 1 is pretty useless on a Lightning. I have an aftermarket adjustable charger which gives me way more options including 30A dryer circuits which don't work with the Ford mobile charger.
I have this one.
https://ev-chargers.com/adjustable-...=6-8-12-24-32-40-amp&attribute_pa_length=32ft

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
100% agree. It is limited in its utility and equivalent aftermarket options are less than 1/2 the price. It ONLY does 8-10A on Level 1 and 32A on Level 2. If you plug into a 30A 240v circuit, it will blow the breaker. Level 1 is pretty useless on a Lightning. I have an aftermarket adjustable charger which gives me way more options including 30A dryer circuits which don't work with the Ford mobile charger.
Given that it's 32amps (actually draws 30amp), it's good that it blows the breaker on a 30amp dryer circuit, because the max on that circuit is 24amp. People should NEVER use the Ford Mobile Charger on a 30amp circuit, unless they are looking to scam their insurance company when they burn down their house.

On level 1, it pulls 12amps. 1.4kWh from the house, 1.1 - 1.2 to the vehicle.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Given that it's 32amps (actually draws 30amp), it's good that it blows the breaker on a 30amp dryer circuit, because the max on that circuit is 24amp. People should NEVER use the Ford Mobile Charger on a 30amp circuit, unless they are looking to scam their insurance company when they burn down their house.

Agreed. The charger I link to above allows me to select the amperage to a safe limit of 80% or less of the circuit rating. (24A for a 30 amp circuit) to use RV and Marine supplies.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER

The real problem is that if you plug it into a properly rated 50 Amp circuit that can't supply 30 amps - which is not an unreasonable or uncommon situation - you can't do anything about it, since it's not configurable. If you're somewhere with 100 amp service and you're not the only user of power, then what? If you try to charge you trip the main... Or if you're somewhere that only has a 30 amp outlet. Or 20..... 50 Amp outlets aren't all that common in older construction unless somebody has gone out of their way to accomodate an EV.

That's the big problem with the Ford mobile charger. It's not flexible enough to be your emergency backup on the road.

ChrisC

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Focus Electric, 2017 FFE, 2020 KiaNiroEV
The 2023 Order Guide says "Mobile Power Cord (120V/240V) is now a standalone option instead of standard" [page 1], and lists it as an option (code 66A) on all trims [pages 5, 8, 11, and 14 for Pro, XLT, Lariat, and Platinum respectively]. So this is a definite change from the 2022 model year, when it was included with all trucks. For the last few months, Ford's website has the option selected by default for the XLT, Lariat, and Pro trims (so you would have to de-select it manually to omit the mobile charger). This may have been different early in the model year.

Had I been thinking far enough ahead, I would have omitted the Mobile Power Cord from my build, and gone with a 3rd-party mobile Level 2 EVSE.

This is different from the Charge Station Pro -- the Charge Station Pro is included with the extended-range battery (ER XLT, ER Lariat, and Platinum) but is not available otherwise -- you can't even order it as an option. This is probably because the SR has a maximum Level 2 input of 11.3kW, while the ER can accept up to 19.2kW. While Ford's Connected Charge Station and a number of third-party EVSEs can deliver 11.3kW, the only 19.2kW EVSEs I'm aware of are the Charge Station Pro and Clipper Creek's CS-100.

The Connected Charge Station isn't available for order with the truck (it isn't on the website and isn't mentioned in the Order Guide). The product page on Ford's site lists it as sold out.
You can order and buy the Ford Charge Station Pro for $1300 on the Ford website
https://chargers.ford.com/products/...the purchase of,™ with Extended-Range Battery

Ford F-150 Lightning 2023 Charger or no charger? 1683599337852
Sponsored