• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tbrou16

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P
Occupation
Paint
Just so I understand: this is a window for already existing reservations to order, right? It’s gonna be 6 months to a year before they accept new reservations since they’re so backed up?
Sponsored

OP
OP

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
Just so I understand: this is a window for already existing reservations to order, right? It’s gonna be 6 months to a year before they accept new reservations since they’re so backed up?
Most likely. For non-reservation holders to get a shot ,It would likely require Ford to offer an awful allocations mix. If Ford doesn't offer up enough Pro/XLT allocations then many reservation holders could potentially extend for the next year or cancel which might result in some left over Lariats going to the non reservation crowd. Even then that would be fairly well along in the wave process. It's a slim chance, but noone knows the allocation mix yet.

The order guide and other info generally gets posted on blue oval forums.
https://blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/forum/17-f150-raptor-forum/

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
One thing we know for sure is that nobody driving a lightning has reached the break even point yet, whatever it is.

That's why I don't think anybody has "saved" money on gas by buying a Lightning... Yet.
I won’t say that I have “saved” money already after only 2 weeks, because that’s a very fluid concept (eg I would have “saved” money by selling *all* my cars, and never buying gas *or* electric again).

That said, I did want to pipe in from the perspective of someone with material solar:

Prior to purchasing my Lightning, which is my first EV, I’ve had 21KW of solar on my roof for a few years. I paid a lot for that PV system, cash, as both (1) a pre-payment of home power expenses, and (2) for related reasons, a future cash flow hedge. (Notice I did not list as a reason the breakeven for even the solar.)

In that context, adding the Lightning captures for me additional value from my solar system beyond the normal dollar-to-dollar cost comparison of vehicle and fuel costs. In essence, by purchasing the lightning I’ve now pre-payed, on a blended basis, not only my home power but now also my vehicle power expenses, and so also expanded my future cash flow hedge.

On that view, not only are the vast majority of electrons going into my truck already pre-paid for years ago (and getting cheaper every year), and to that extent I have in fact already begun saving on *fuel* costs only 2 weeks into ownership.

As for the relative expense of the Lightning, I don’t think the relevant question is, e.g., “how much less is an ICE XLT compared to an EV XLT.” Instead, only the relevant question is, e.g., “If a person had not bought a Lightning, how much would they have spent on an alternative vehicle.” The latter question illuminates the fact that people spending $80K on a Lightning Larait are mostly people that would have instead spent $80K on a different type of vehicle.

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
I won’t say that I have “saved” money already after only 2 weeks, because that’s a very fluid concept (eg I would have “saved” money by selling *all* my cars, and never buying gas *or* electric again).

That said, I did want to pipe in from the perspective of someone with material solar:

Prior to purchasing my Lightning, which is my first EV, I’ve had 21KW of solar on my roof for a few years. I paid a lot for that PV system, cash, as both (1) a pre-payment of home power expenses, and (2) for related reasons, a future cash flow hedge. (Notice I did not list as a reason the breakeven for even the solar.)

In that context, adding the Lightning captures for me additional value from my solar system beyond the normal dollar-to-dollar cost comparison of vehicle and fuel costs. In essence, by purchasing the lightning I’ve now pre-payed, on a blended basis, not only my home power but now also my vehicle power expenses, and so also expanded my future cash flow hedge.

On that view, not only are the vast majority of electrons going into my truck already pre-paid for years ago (and getting cheaper every year), and to that extent I have in fact already begun saving on *fuel* costs only 2 weeks into ownership.

As for the relative expense of the Lightning, I don’t think the relevant question is, e.g., “how much less is an ICE XLT compared to an EV XLT.” Instead, only the relevant question is, e.g., “If a person had not bought a Lightning, how much would they have spent on an alternative vehicle.” The latter question illuminates the fact that people spending $80K on a Lightning Larait are mostly people that would have instead spent $80K on a different type of vehicle.
21 KWh! Is that like 60 panels?

I have a 7 KWh system and it basically produces all the energy I need for the year (no electric car yet), even thouhg a lot of the year I'm selling to the grid and building up credit to get us through the summer.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
21 KWh! Is that like 60 panels?

I have a 7 KWh system and it basically produces all the energy I need for the year (no electric car yet), even thouhg a lot of the year I'm selling to the grid and building up credit to get us through the summer.
its in fact exactly 60 panels

I’m not proud of my home’s energy consumption, but it is the result a few things working against us:

(1) a 3,900sqft home built in 1967 (generally poor envelope)

(2) combined with 180 linear feet of original, single pane, floor to ceiling glass

(3) several pumps moving water, for each of a pool, hot tub, and koi pond

(4) then finally, ok but not great usage habits amongst myself, but also especially my wife and two toddlers

Typically, the conservation strategy would be to first address each of the above issues before paying for solar. But in my specific case, even just replacing the glass would alone exceed 2X of what the solar system cost.

One day we hope to do a massive remodel, at which point I’d hope out 21KW would drastically outpace our energy consumption.

But until then, I’m just hoping my on-site solar defrays the home’s inefficiencies to a degree as to buy me some sympathy with St. Peter at those Pearly Gates

Sponsored

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
its in fact exactly 60 panels

I’m not proud of my home’s energy consumption, but it is the result a few things working against us:

(1) a 3,900sqft home built in 1967 (generally poor envelope)

(2) combined with 180 linear feet of original, single pane, floor to ceiling glass

(3) several pumps moving water, for each of a pool, hot tub, and koi pond

(4) then finally, ok but not great usage habits amongst myself, but also especially my wife and two toddlers

Typically, the conservation strategy would be to first address each of the above issues before paying for solar. But in my specific case, even just replacing the glass would alone exceed 2X of what the solar system cost.

One day we hope to do a massive remodel, at which point I’d hope out 21KW would drastically outpace our energy consumption.

But until then, I’m just hoping my on-site solar defrays the home’s inefficiencies to a degree as to buy me some sympathy with St. Peter at those Pearly Gates

That's great. I wanted to put more, but my south leaning roof could only fit 20. I might add some on the west leaning side if I ever do get a lightning.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
That's great. I wanted to put more, but my south leaning roof could only fit 20. I might add some on the west leaning side if I ever do get a lightning.
You are both lucky, my roof could only hold 9 panels. Would love more

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
yes, I had the benefit of a huge expanse of (metal seam!) roof facing ideally south-wear with no tree interference (a catch 22, as it’s also the reason it is hard to cool my house!).

in fact, my house was a 2019 finalist for SunPower’s residential “installation of year” - though I came up 2nd place, and didn’t win the free iPad 😂

918Nate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Anyone have a sense of what time the order windows have been opening up for those lucky few that get an invite to order (tomorrow)?

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
I wish solar wasn't so expensive. I have a massive 12/12 south facing roof (about 80' long and 20' wide) but the cost is too high to justify putting them in here when my rate is $0.115/kWh.

Sponsored

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
Im looking at 24 400Watt panels and i think it will be 10 on the south side and 7 on each the north and south, they expect 65-70% efficiency on those slopes (better than i think but hey they are guaranteeing it not me), ADT actually wants to evenly spread them on all 4 sides of my hip roof but they are offering the lowest guarantee and 360W panels and priced the same.

jaturner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Taurus
Anyone have a sense of what time the order windows have been opening up for those lucky few that get an invite to order (tomorrow)?
From what I remember seeing in the past I believe around Noon Eastern people were able to order then somewhere from 1-3 hours later they actually got an email from Ford.

Eagerly waiting for any news myself. Being a Day 1 first couple of minutes reservation holder the wait and lack of reliable information about the entire process has been frustrating.

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
I wish solar wasn't so expensive. I have a massive 12/12 south facing roof (about 80' long and 20' wide) but the cost is too high to justify putting them in here when my rate is $0.115/kWh.
After tax rebates I just financed my installation rather than paying cash. 0.9% loan. I pay $95 a month. I average just over 1,000 kWh a month, so at your rate, that would cost me $115 a month. So it saves me about $20 a month under that math.

Nothing life changing or anything and totally not worth it to a lot of people, but I just saw it as basically free and I get to feel smug and superior when the sun is powering my AC when it's 95 degrees out. haha

mattb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
hi, the solar stuff is interesting but can you please move that to a different thread?

Zacster

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Occupation
Small Business Owner
What is the specific Ford website to pre-order the 2023 Ford F150 Lightning when ordering opens up again? Or what is the exact steps that will need to be taken to ensure time is not lost hunting?
Sponsored