• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2023 XLT Purchase

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
A few weeks ago I bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CFXGRP5K/ on Amazon. Right now it’s $284 or only $184 after the $100 coupon on the Amazon listing. It looks very well built and has a hefty 25 foot cord.

I connected it to my RV 50 amp 14-50 receptacle. It defaulted to 48 amps to my surprise. I turned it down to 40 amps to be code compliant and it works very well. After posting a review on Amazon about default current output the manufacture reached out to me a few days later and they changed the default rate to 40 amps in their software. I was impressed how responsive they were.

It comes with a very short 50 amp 240 plug or if you want you can hard wire it.

It also came with a Tesla adaptor which worked great to charge my model Y.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BabyDoc1012

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT, 2022 Mustang Mach 1, 2021 Expedition
A few weeks ago I bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CFXGRP5K/ on Amazon. Right now it’s $284 or only $184 after the $100 coupon on the Amazon listing. It looks very well built and has a hefty 25 foot cord.

I connected it to my RV 50 amp 14-50 receptacle. It defaulted to 48 amps to my surprise. I turned it down to 40 amps to be code compliant and it works very well. After posting a review on Amazon about default current output the manufacture reached out to me a few days later and they changed the default rate to 40 amps in their software. I was impressed how responsive they were.

It comes with a very short 50 amp 240 plug or if you want you can hard wire it.

It also came with a Tesla adaptor which worked great to charge my model Y.
I’ll be checking that out! Thanks

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I’ll be checking that out! Thanks
Be aware. The price for this is all over the place. It seems to change every other day. The current price with the $100 coupon is close to the lowest I’ve seen.

What’s nice with Amazon is the return policy. Plus the manufacture warranty is for 5 years.

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Don't waste the cabin space, 2nd row can accommodate 3 car seats :D
We had three in car seats at the same time, in the back of a Volvo V70 and Volvo S80. Had twins! Soon, my oldest son will have three in car seats; just bought a mini van.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I plan on getting a level 2 at home, if I do decide to get it. Any recommendations? Yea it seems like the best truck for what i need and do.
Look locally for a Level 2 charger (Craigs list, Facebook Marketplace even Ebay) . I got mine for $900

ThomasNC

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Government
I'll throw out 2 unpopular opinion.

1. Extended range is overrated. Unless you have a specific use case like you regularly drive more than 200 but less than 260 miles in a day or you regularly tow more than 100 miles but less than 150 miles. Obviously, extended range is better but I have a hard time justifying the premium. If it were a couple thousand more I say everybody get it but 8, 9, 10k??? forget it if you can't say I need it because this specific reason. A lot of times those specific reasons are a good case for not getting an EV at all. I do admit I'd like to look down and see a 300 mile range every morning though.

2. High amp level 2 chargers aren't worth it either. You can charge 40 to 50 percent on a 16amp level to charger in a 10 to 12 hour overnight. That's 100 miles per day you can charge on a regular 12/2 Romex circuit. Biggest issue I might say is finding a quality 16amp charging connector. Not that you should put in a 32 or 40amp charger if you can but if you need major electrical work to do it you and most people would likely find that 16amp charging and can be had for hundreds rather than thousands. If you have free charging for a limited period at night a faster charger would come in handy too.

Before you jump in it is best to understand how the truck will fit into your life and what will be different about it day to day from a gas truck. Seems like that would go without saying but there is never a shortage of people saying "I live in Alaska and it -25 today and I can only tow my 5000 pound trailer 37 miles but there are no charging stations near my igloo. Ford is a bunch of con artist"

OP
OP
BabyDoc1012

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

1. Extended range is overrated. Unless you have a specific use case like you regularly drive more than 200 but less than 260 miles in a day or you regularly tow more than 100 miles but less than 150 miles. Obviously, extended range is better but I have a hard time justifying the premium. If it were a couple thousand more I say everybody get it but 8, 9, 10k??? forget it if you can't say I need it because this specific reason. A lot of times those specific reasons are a good case for not getting an EV at all. I do admit I'd like to look down and see a 300 mile range every morning though.

2. High amp level 2 chargers aren't worth it either. You can charge 40 to 50 percent on a 16amp level to charger in a 10 to 12 hour overnight. That's 100 miles per day you can charge on a regular 12/2 Romex circuit. Biggest issue I might say is finding a quality 16amp charging connector. Not that you should put in a 32 or 40amp charger if you can but if you need major electrical work to do it you and most people would likely find that 16amp charging and can be had for hundreds rather than thousands. If you have free charging for a limited period at night a faster charger would come in handy too.

Before you jump in it is best to understand how the truck will fit into your life and what will be different about it day to day from a gas truck. Seems like that would go without saying but there is never a shortage of people saying "I live in Alaska and it -25 today and I can only tow my 5000 pound trailer 37 miles but there are no charging stations near my igloo. Ford is a bunch of con artist"
Thanks for the info! I agree with what you said completely. I know the truck will fit perfectly into what I need it to do. I’m considering a level 2 charger, but it’s not a make ore break that I have one. I will be able to charge to the levels I need with the one that comes with the truck no problem. It would be nice to see all that mileage, but I’ll never use it, and if there is a time I need to, well I have my two ICE vehicles I can use.

It always amazes me when someone buys a product without researching, or uses it so far out of the design limits the blames the manufacturer.

I think it is kind of funny people comparing about how long it takes to fill up. If I am on a road trip, and need to get gas, between filling up, grabbing snacks/meal, bathroom and stretching my legs is at least 30 - 45 mins which is time to add decent mileage charging at a charging station. The 10 minute fill up only comes into play around town. And I’ll be fresh charge everyday.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I'm less then 300 miles on my ER XLT, but had a SR 2021 Mach-E before with 31k miles. The biggest issue was range in winter, my Mach-E easily lost 20 to 30% in below 50 degree winters. Today was 44 deg, and the XLT is showing similar lose, which I expected. I used the Ford included charger with the Mach-E with no issues, but that deal above is tempting.

Sponsored

snowy_91

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Retired

same conclusion I came to after 16 months with my GTPE, I can live with fewer miles range for 10 grand.

OP
OP
BabyDoc1012

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
same conclusion I came to after 16 months with my GTPE, I can live with fewer miles range for 10 grand.
Yea, I can’t justify 10k for only 80 miles. If the extended battery got 400 miles or more I could maybe justify the price. But even then, given how I’ll use it I don’t see it as worth it

Ecstatic

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘03 Highlander, ‘83 Landcruiser, ‘22 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Temporarily retired
The Ford Mobile Charger is a level 2 charger. There are much better L2 chargers for less $, but if the dealer makes you buy it it will likely work fine if you have a 50 amp receptacle (on a 60 amp circuit). It’s a dump charger, but you can set charging times in the Lightning. However, there’s no ability in the Lightning or the mobile charger to de-rate the amps, like if you wanted to plug into a 30 amp dryer receptacle.

Mcgyverrod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning LariatER (Rec'd 7/13/23)
Occupation
Retired x2
Hey everyone, I’m considering purchasing a lighting. My dealers has a 23 XLT 311A, with row technology package, 9.6KW pro power, tailgate step, and of course the obligatory $500 charging cable for 58. It is a dealer order and should be delivered between 11/11-11/17. I’ve read most of the reviews, watched a bunch of reviews on YouTube, and been stalking the forums here. But I’m new to the whole EV thing. Is there anything I need to look at specifically when I check it out? Is there anything the dealer is required to do before they sell it? I think I remember reading somewhere that they have to hold it 24hrs after delivery before the owner can take it home. Any crazy PDI things that get missed, i.e. yellow spacers on Mustangs? The dealer didn’t take them off my Mach 1.

Just curious, wanna make sure I don’t miss anything. The salesman I talked to today thought the standard battery was only single motor. LOL My usual salesman, was busy, busy as with most of us on the forums we typically know the product better.

Has anyone made a good level kit yet? I want to upgrade tires too, not KO2s, I’m thinking Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws. I have them on my Sierra and my wife’s expedition and really like them. What’s the hit to range when upgrading to something like that? Range doesn’t really bother me, I don’t do long trips in the truck, longest is usually 50miles. So I’m not too worried, just curious. Thanks for the info and sorry for the long post.
I have a 23 Lariat ER double motor and am extremely happy with it. I was concerned, at first, that it didn't have the Pro Charger with it. However, I learned that Ford sends it a few weeks later after I purchased the truck and it installed easily. I have the tow package and packages making the cost above the MSRP for the $7,500 rebate.

I didn't like the high price of the Ford electric tonneau cover with remote at over $3,000 so I purchased a nice one on-line through Amazon that cost $1,450 delivered. Two hours later, I had it installed and working perfectly. Enjoy!
Sponsored