• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Senior Master

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, 2023.5 MachE on the way
Occupation
Service Manager
Thanks for continuing to help and support this forum and users. How can the other dealership want to order a gateway, when the answer is truly this easy to find remotely by someone else.
I wish I could help more. I have no idea where the gateway module stuff is coming from. I see no gateway related codes in his truck.
Ford F-150 Lightning Priority Update: 22-PU-1009-MIL-DTE Calculation Screenshot 2023-02-25 4.45.29 PM
Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Very good points.

We know the factory is in EST, but that doesn't mean the server is. Perhaps just avoiding 00 minutes is a safer bet, so whether it adds or subtracts hours, it won't fall at exactly midnight regardless of the time zone.

My next test will be:

1. Take a 30+ minute drive.

2. Putting the parking brake on manually.

3. Turning the headlights OFF, instead of auto.

4. Setting the scheduled download to 5 minutes or so after stopping, so the 30 minutes of driving leaves the high voltage batteries warm, and the 12v at a charged level.

5. Give Jubu more rum and ask for his intervention.

1677335038466.png
For the record. I tried my experiment.

I drove about 35 minutes, turned on the parking brake, turned the headlights to OFF instead of auto, started the updateā€¦ and walked away as I saw the 2 minute countdown on the screenā€¦ NOTHING.

If itā€™s got something to do with the 12v battery, it would be great if we knew how to check it and/or charge it.

Ford Senior Master

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, 2023.5 MachE on the way
Occupation
Service Manager
For the record. I tried my experiment.

I drove about 35 minutes, turned on the parking brake, turned the headlights to OFF instead of auto, started the updateā€¦ and walked away as I saw the 2 minute countdown on the screenā€¦ NOTHING.

If itā€™s got something to do with the 12v battery, it would be great if we knew how to check it and/or charge it.
If you send me your vin I will check and see if 12 v state of charge is stopping the update.

Alan168

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Platinum, Rapid Red Metallic
Occupation
Retired
Early this morning I received the DTE software update. This update first tried to load on Jan 8, 2023. It failed 27 times and finally gave up. My screen then said: "Software up-to-date", which was not true. Late last week I checked the software status and it showed the update was available. It failed to load twice and then last night it finally succeeded. During the first 27 attempts, I tried nearly all the tips and tricks everyone had described on this forum and none worked. I did nothing special last night and it loaded. I don't know what to think about this other than Ford has to get this update business under control. I hope it doesn't take 30 attempts to get each of the next few updates I need!

The bad news? Everyone that has complained about the new DTE calculation being too optimistic is RIGHT! I took a trip today to gather my own information. I travelled 96.1 miles as measured by the odometer and the G.O.M. showed I used 157 miles of range. This means I can only count on about 61% of the displayed range. I averaged 67 mph on the trip, no wind and an ambient temperature of 45 degrees F. The SOC was 100% when I left and 63% when I returned. Previous trips taken before this DTE update - including some with nearly the same conditions - showed close agreement between the odometer and the G.O.M. as they were only about 2 percentage points apart.

My conclusion matches everyone else: Please, Ford, can I have my old DTE calculation back?

Alan168

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Platinum, Rapid Red Metallic
Occupation
Retired
Correction to my post: I did shut off the headlights, turn on the parking brake and lock the truck. Sorry about not including that info!

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
Early this morning I received the DTE software update. This update first tried to load on Jan 8, 2023. It failed 27 times and finally gave up. My screen then said: "Software up-to-date", which was not true. Late last week I checked the software status and it showed the update was available. It failed to load twice and then last night it finally succeeded. During the first 27 attempts, I tried nearly all the tips and tricks everyone had described on this forum and none worked. I did nothing special last night and it loaded. I don't know what to think about this other than Ford has to get this update business under control. I hope it doesn't take 30 attempts to get each of the next few updates I need!

The bad news? Everyone that has complained about the new DTE calculation being too optimistic is RIGHT! I took a trip today to gather my own information. I travelled 96.1 miles as measured by the odometer and the G.O.M. showed I used 157 miles of range. This means I can only count on about 61% of the displayed range. I averaged 67 mph on the trip, no wind and an ambient temperature of 45 degrees F. The SOC was 100% when I left and 63% when I returned. Previous trips taken before this DTE update - including some with nearly the same conditions - showed close agreement between the odometer and the G.O.M. as they were only about 2 percentage points apart.

My conclusion matches everyone else: Please, Ford, can I have my old DTE calculation back?
Look and make sure it didn't combine two trips.
I had this happen recently where I drove to the airport, sat a week, drove back and for som
Have you tried resetting the BMS? No disconnecting the battery doesn't reset it.

Reset procedure (no scan tool needed):
1. Put the car in accessory mode (push start button without depressing brake pedal)
2. Flash the high beams relatively quickly five times
3. Depress and release the brake pedal three times
4. Wait 3-10 seconds and the battery icon on the instrument panel will flash.
5. Your BMS is now reset.

Note: Without any previous data to work from, it's a good idea to drive the truck and maybe throw the charger on it a couple times to get the SOC reading more accurate, but if this is a 12V battery SOC issue, this should solve it!
I'm stuck at 4.1.1
I followed the above reset procedure and it certainly does what the steps say.
Now I'm curious if it will get any updates to occur.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Look and make sure it didn't combine two trips.
I had this happen recently where I drove to the airport, sat a week, drove back and for som
He compared GOM to odometer (not ā€œthis tripā€) so ā€œcombining two tripsā€ doesnā€™t come into play.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
I just sent you the error which is stopping your update. The error stopping it is definitely low battery state of charge.
Screenshot 2023-02-25 4.33.38 PM.png
new update 3/6: tech did not update on 4th trip. Going back tomorrow for 5th trip.
OTA dept sees low state of charge on 12v battery.

i tried many times with the battery charger - that never helped.

ultimately on 4th trip and 42 total days at dealer they replaced gateway module and a wiring harness. DTE update via dealer and FDRS. Waiting on all other 4.1.x updates.

senior master: on 1st trip in December they diagnosed side sensor error - tried nothing else
DTE downloaded and started failing 2 days before I picked up

2nd trip - they thought replacement side sensor was faulty - did nothing else

3rd trip - diagnosis was faulty wire harness and gateway module

4th trip - install gateway & wiring harness. Told it communicates with side sensor module without error.

now I wait and see what behavior I have with future updates.

my 3.5.x updates installed without issues.

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
He compared GOM to odometer (not ā€œthis tripā€) so ā€œcombining two tripsā€ doesnā€™t come into play.
Yup, seeing the exact same thing. You can't rely on the GOM at all anymore or really the Ford Nav (which eliminates the benefit of en route preconditioning). Back to ABRP and Google maps it is.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yup, seeing the exact same thing. You can't rely on the GOM at all anymore or really the Ford Nav (which eliminates the benefit of en route preconditioning). Back to ABRP and Google maps it is.
I donā€™t have a problem with the Ford Nav. I have always ignored the ā€œMiles remaining at end of tripā€ anyway.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I donā€™t have a problem with the Ford Nav. I have always ignored the ā€œMiles remaining at end of tripā€ anyway.
For local it is fine, but if it is wrongly estimating how far you can go on a charge, it will have you skip a needed charging stop and potentially leave you stranded.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For local it is fine, but if it is wrongly estimating how far you can go on a charge, it will have you skip a needed charging stop and potentially leave you stranded.
I always plan my route ahead of time (ABRP) and enter the charging stops into the Nav. Allows the preconditioning to work.

I let the Nav plan my trip one time - before GOM change - and it was a mess. It tried to send me to a ChargePoint 50 miles out of the way, driving right past another ChargePoint I had just recently used. This in spite of the fact I didnā€™t need to charge at all in order to get home. It was a total cluster.

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
As I watched the GOM go from 300 to 200 over a 50 mile drive yesterday I came up with an idea to please all types. How about Ford adds a toggle in the config screen with two modes. "Accurate DTE Calc" and "Lie to Me DTE Calc"

This way the ones that complained about the lost mileage when the GOM was accurate can simply flip the switch and feel good. Those that don't want to get stranded can use the accurate calc.

What do you think @Ford Motor Company?

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
After 600 miles on trip 1, I'm averaging 2.8 mpk...so I should be getting 366 on a full charge. As far as I can tell, GOM still showing 320'ish max range.

duncanmclain

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat ER
Occupation
Supreme Galactic Commander
I finally gave up and scheduled an appointment at the dealer, dropped it off, the tech chased me down to inform me the update had been successfully installed right before i dropped it off. The tech ran the diagnostics to confirm the installation and said no other updates were available at that time.

I did nothing any different than any other previous attempt, it just happened to install that day.

So finally that update nightmare is over, Can't wait for the next one.
Sponsored