• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
I want to avoid the dealership at all costs. I've had similar experience with my last truck sitting in their service area for over 4 months.

If there is a part involved, as long as I can safely drive it, there's no reason for it to sit on their lot.
@IdeaOfTheDayCom

i hear you about not wanting to leave for many days.

the past 2 trips I begged that they not let it sit for days before putting hands on for diagnosis. With end result sending me home while waiting for part. Which in both trips could have been 10 days earlier = 20 days saved. Lost warranty days and payments for no use.

now itā€™s been sitting for 2 days while they find out how long to get part. Really!
Sponsored

Ford Senior Master

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, 2023.5 MachE on the way
Occupation
Service Manager
I want to avoid the dealership at all costs. I've had similar experience with my last truck sitting in their service area for over 4 months.

If there is a part involved, as long as I can safely drive it, there's no reason for it to sit on their lot.
Iā€™m not sure what the dealers problem is in completing the updates. I know that I personally do 3-4 a week with no problems. I also have not had to replace a gateway modules in about 6 months.
The key to getting the updates to go through is placing the 12 volt charger on the power supply mode until amperage drops to maybe 2 amps or less. Then reset BMS and proceed with programming. Yes it is time consuming. I have spent up to ten hours fully updating all modules. In some instance there are TSBā€™s or other symptoms(such as failing OTA) which allow for covering the updates under warranty. When itā€™s not covered I do it anyway if the customer is willing because itā€™s the right thing to do for my loyal owners.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Iā€™m not sure what the dealers problem is in completing the updates. I know that I personally do 3-4 a week with no problems. I also have not had to replace a gateway modules in about 6 months.
The key to getting the updates to go through is placing the 12 volt charger on the power supply mode until amperage drops to maybe 2 amps or less. Then reset BMS and proceed with programming. Yes it is time consuming. I have spent up to ten hours fully updating all modules. In some instance there are TSBā€™s or other symptoms(such as failing OTA) which allow for covering the updates under warranty. When itā€™s not covered I do it anyway if the customer is willing because itā€™s the right thing to do for my loyal owners.
So I guess thereā€™s no way for a customer to do it, which is funny considering the FordPass alerts ask for us to help them install it (and doesnā€™t say how).

It wouldnā€™t be an issue if the alert told us ā€œyou need to have your dealer install itā€, instead of that bogus message.

Ford Senior Master

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Service Manager
If I had that issue and didnā€™t have access to the tools I do I would probably disconnect 12 v battery and trickle charge for a couple hours. Reconnect battery and drive for about ten minutes. Then let it set in an area with good cell service.
Thatā€™s what I would try. I am not sure it would work but Its Worth a shot.

Sponsored

Dgut

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Finance
Thank you!! The battery reset worked! After the reset, the SOC via OBD was at 92. Update pushed through. Now, looking forward to the other updates.

Thanks again!!
Have you tried resetting the BMS? No disconnecting the battery doesn't reset it.

Reset procedure (no scan tool needed):
1. Put the car in accessory mode (push start button without depressing brake pedal)
2. Flash the high beams relatively quickly five times
3. Depress and release the brake pedal three times
4. Wait 3-10 seconds and the battery icon on the instrument panel will flash.
5. Your BMS is now reset.

Note: Without any previous data to work from, it's a good idea to drive the truck and maybe throw the charger on it a couple times to get the SOC reading more accurate, but if this is a 12V battery SOC issue, this should solve it!
After banging my head and reading every forum post I could find, I think the BMS reset did the trick so thank you!!! How dumb is it that the solutions to what should be an easy update potentially involves driving around aimlessly for hours or buying and hooking up a trickle charger to charge a stupid 12v battery that sits on a 131kw battery. Beyond frustrating to me that @Ford Motor Company cannot be more helpful when there are clearly lots of people having similar issues. Simply letting us know what precondition is not being met would go a long way.

I bought my 2022 ER Demo last week and the Ford Pass App showed an update was available but the truck showed everything was up to date. Despite confirming with the the dealer that sold the truck to me the truck was updated they handed it over with the last update (3.5.5) having stalled in mid December. This began a regular process of checking for updates, surfing forums to see any solutions, and then trying said solutions. I made a dealer appointment and was willing to take time off work to try and get it fixed but then I kept reading that many dealers are unable or unwilling to fix. After charging the truck to 95% and letting the truck run in idle, the update finally downloaded (I think via wifi) but then began the countless fails to download with Ford sending notifications to Help Them Install their update without offering any help for us!

Long storyā€¦ Iā€™m ventingā€¦ after trying everything short of going to a dealer, the BMS reset that makes you feel like to are entering a NES Contra code seemed to do the trick. Or maybe it was the trickle charger before that. Or maybe charging to 100%. Or maybe running my car for an hour.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
I followed the link from the FordPass App that tells you more about Power-Up installs, and noticed a few interesting things.

Ford F-150 Lightning Priority Update: 22-PU-1009-MIL-DTE Calculation 1677325743662

Based on that, I'm sure all of us me most of that list... we're parked, "ignition" is off, etc.

However, there are a couple of things I don't think I've tried together.

1. Setting the parking brake. Perhaps they want to be sure that with the computer off, it won't roll away?

2. Your headlights are turned off. Mine are set to Auto. Maybe it needs to implicitly be in the off position?

3. Your vehicle was driven for a minimum of 30 minutes prior to avoid low battery (presumably the 12v). I generally drive at least that each day, but perhaps the LAST trip before parking needs to be that long?

Then, apparently ignoring what they just said about must be before 12 a.m. (not exactly 12 a.m.), they have this screenshot completely ignoring the not exactly 12 am rule:
Ford F-150 Lightning Priority Update: 22-PU-1009-MIL-DTE Calculation 1677325817603

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
You guys don't need to drive the truck to charge the 12v battery. This isnā€™t an ICE vehicle. Just start the truck, turn the shutdown timer off, get out and lock the door. Let it "run" for awhile and it will charge the 12v.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Then, apparently ignoring what they just said about must be before 12 a.m. (not exactly 12 a.m.), they have this screenshot completely ignoring the not exactly 12 am rule:
Ford F-150 Lightning Priority Update: 22-PU-1009-MIL-DTE Calculation 1677325817603-
One would ~think~ they would program an exception rule to prevent us from setting a midnight starting time, logic would be"

12:01 am or later

but

No sooner than xx minutes (projected install time plus 10 minutes for sanity sake) subtracted from midnight, this allows the process to complete before the truck turns into a pumpkin.

-

Next question I have is ..... is it GMT, EST Local Time.....???????
Logic would dictate local time, but if the process involves closing out the procedure by reporting to the mothership, maybe that needs to happen while not breaching 12:00am mother ship time, which might very well be GMT regardless of where the master controller actually sits.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
One would ~think~ they would program an exception rule to prevent us from setting a midnight starting time, logic would be"

12:01 am or later

but

No sooner than xx minutes (projected install time plus 10 minutes for sanity sake) subtracted from midnight, this allows the process to complete before the truck turns into a pumpkin.

-

Next question I have is ..... is it GMT, EST Local Time.....???????
Logic would dictate local time, but if the process involves closing out the procedure by reporting to the mothership, maybe that needs to happen while not breaching 12:00am mother ship time, which might very well be GMT regardless of where the master controller actually sits.
Very good points.

We know the factory is in EST, but that doesn't mean the server is. Perhaps just avoiding 00 minutes is a safer bet, so whether it adds or subtracts hours, it won't fall at exactly midnight regardless of the time zone.

My next test will be:

1. Take a 30+ minute drive.

2. Putting the parking brake on manually.

3. Turning the headlights OFF, instead of auto.

4. Setting the scheduled download to 5 minutes or so after stopping, so the 30 minutes of driving leaves the high voltage batteries warm, and the 12v at a charged level.

5. Give Jubu more rum and ask for his intervention.

Ford F-150 Lightning Priority Update: 22-PU-1009-MIL-DTE Calculation 1677335038466

Sponsored

tomjackbear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonata, Honda HRV, Ford F150L
My experience with failed installs is that they were all 12V SOC related (at least that is what the truck was reporting back to Ford).

When charging the 12V directly I never saw (via an OBD2 reader) the truck reporting above a 92% charge even though my 12V charger was reporting 100% charge.

There is a long thread on the Mach-E forums about AGM batteries and sulfication and its effect on being able to charge batteries to 100%. Iā€™m not really sure that is at play in these casesā€¦my experience didnā€™t exactly match up to that thread but i think it is plausible.

In general though I think the idea is in the right place and explains why it works fine for one person and not another: small differences in our 12V batteries cause them to either not take a full charge and/or incorrectly report their state of charge. I donā€™t think this charge health is material to the day-to-day use of our trucks. However when something, such as the software updates, are sampling for a very specific number (that is quite high) we run into these issues.

Disclaimer that the above is just a guess based on personal experience and spending too much time reading forum posts. I eventually went the FDRS route to install my updates which is a quite expensive route but did solve the problem.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
@Ford Senior Master

3 trips to dealer

they now say it needs a gateway module. 60+ failures DTE update.
1st trip: tech reported side sensor module failure
2nd trip: tech, 2nd module did not work - did not attempt DTE update
3rd trip: tech attempted update, failed (minimally tried manual update) decided it needs gateway module.

now I wait for part and try again.
40 days at dealer for that bit of work.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
@Ford Senior Master

3 trips to dealer

3rd trip: tech attempted update, failed (minimally tried manual update) decided it needs gateway module.

The knowledge level at these dealers reminds me of a T-shirt I saw years ago - if their brains were dynamite they wouldn't be able to even blow their nose.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the truck and Gateway would be a very good guess. Just a load of hard to meet all at once requirements that their own engineers created and keep the SW from installing.

Reports of failures over 100 times that eventually still install.

Ford Senior Master

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Service Manager
@Ford Senior Master

3 trips to dealer

I just sent you the error which is stopping your update. The error stopping it is definitely low battery state of charge.
Ford F-150 Lightning Priority Update: 22-PU-1009-MIL-DTE Calculation Screenshot 2023-02-25 4.33.38 PM

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I just sent you the error which is stopping your update. The error stopping it is definitely low battery state of charge.
Screenshot 2023-02-25 4.33.38 PM.png
Thanks for continuing to help and support this forum and users. How can the other dealership want to order a gateway, when the answer is truly this easy to find remotely by someone else.
Sponsored