• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

3 years 2 BEVs 80,000 miles

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
We’ve driven the SR MME and Lightning ER a combined 80K+ miles coming up on 3 years. The MME has 52,000 and the LT 18,000. I roll 2K a month so 80K by July!!

The mileage would represent 4000 gallons of gas (20 mpg on the former well driven turbo Flex and V8 Adrenalin) so that’s about $18,000 in fuel gross savings with a net of around $16,000+. Between the two BEVs we’ve spent about $2,000 on electricity with most charge at home and rare EA charges. Historically speaking, I’d get oil changes every 5K so there’s 16 less oil changes replaced by 8 tire rotations-inspections. And of course the ICE maintenance included filters, fluids, plugs, coil packs, brake pads, as well as occasional wheel bearings, CV joints, etc. I would expect BEVs are no different on wear and tear though the elimination of heat damage is huge.

The MME’s tires are in excellent shape and they’ll look to roll to 75-80K. We charge at home with the a Charge Point Home Flex and as noted, occasional EA charging on the road. Both BEVs have been to Montana and back with no issues.

The ER LT is the long range warrior whereas the MME is the go-to around town, into the city car. Easy to navigate Seattle, Portland or the state capitol.

The long term mi/kWh for the LT is ~2.5 and the MME is ~3.5. Our $.0634/kwh for power is dirt cheap and is the real deal closer on BEV ownership. Both vehicles are garaged and preconditioned if used and particularly in the winter months Nov-February where mornings can be in the 30’s & icy. We do not have bitter Midwest cold but we deal with wind and rain, road debris. I hit a deer with the MME and that was a $6,000 repair.

In terms of OTA, etc, the MME has downloaded flawlessly. The LT is due a BMS replacement which should clear up its wonky electrical error messaging which hasn’t impacted performance but appears to have interfered with OTAs.

My crew razed me about the BEVs initially, though as I pile on the miles and fuel prices stay around $4.5-$5.0/gallon, they all get the long term future and daily cost savings on my daily 90 mile commute. Every gear head I know talks about “it is the future”, and there are 4 Lightnings in county now & we all know each other. I see more MMEs on the road as well. The balance of BEVs I see on the road are Teslas though no local Rivians or KIAs yet.

I view the two BEVs long term durability as “good” given the minor issues to date. As I’ll be retired in a year, the annual mileage will drop and the life of battery & component parts extends. There’s little doubt in my mind that these vehicles won’t see 200K miles. The lack of ICE heat damage & basic wear bodes well for electric vehicles though ultimate battery chemistry & longevity remains unknown. My parents Maytag freezer & fridge were given away in running condition after 50 years service 😂!

It is possible that our BEVs are the last vehicles we ever buy. That I know of, we are the only in-county 100% BEV household. Most are traditional ICE, then occasional hybrid with Prius & Mavericks common, though ICE Mavericks are becoming common too.

When BEVs drop into the low $30K or high $20K it’ll be game over by my estimation. Most are out of range in price for the average consumer and charging prices are too $$. I do see a coming grid issue with electricity demand and it’ll be interesting to watch how society responds in terms of future energy investment. While I’m fascinated with off the grid thoughts, the value proposition isn’t there for us to put in our own solar array & battery storage-inverter system.

What I do know? Never going back to ICE. I keep my ‘41 Ford 9N as the reminder of the past.

Ford F-150 Lightning 3 years 2 BEVs 80,000 miles IMG_2930
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dan C

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning lariat, 2022 Chevy bolt
Occupation
retired
I bought my first ev in 2018 a Chevy Bolt. It was cheap enough and my intention was to drive it until the wheels fell off or I had to charge it every day. Well the wheel didn't fall off but the battery recall did. Chevy bought it back and I got a Bolt EUV. I took delivery on my Lightning in 2023 after waiting 2+ years. EVs are definitely the way to go. I did keep my wife's mini van for long trips. I just dont want to turn a 10 hour drive into a 13 hour drive.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
my two youngest of four sons now drive those 'recalled' Chevy BOLTS which have the Chevy battery replacement, and extended full warranty to go with them... and they love them.

We had two Nissan LEAF original 70-mile range to 'learn with' several years ago before my wife's entry into 1/2 electric with her 22 Kia Sorento PHEV, which was great, but just a 'go-between' vehicle before her brand New 24 KIA EV9 all-electric arrived in February. She'll never go 'back' to pumping gas, and neither will my two youngest sons - they just can't understand, in their young lives, how people value 'gas' above being able to drive on electricity.
My LIGHTNING from Aug 22 has over 41,000 miles, but the new EV9 is now getting the lionshare of the driving, and long travel. Both are 'standard range' battery packs, with almost identical 'range', but we roadtrip in both just like anyone else does with ANY vehicle.

The Supercharger NACS opening up just provides even MORE reason to use ANY electric vehicle to go wherever you wish...at any time, and the rise of MANY MANY new CCS stations popping up, mainly at GAS STATION chains, and Truck stop chains, is FANTASTIC!

No worries. Just go.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
We’ve driven the SR MME and Lightning ER a combined 80K+ miles coming up on 3 years. The MME has 52,000 and the LT 18,000. I roll 2K a month so 80K by July!!

The mileage would represent 4000 gallons of gas (20 mpg on the former well driven turbo Flex and V8 Adrenalin) so that’s about $18,000 in fuel gross savings with a net of around $16,000+. Between the two BEVs we’ve spent about $2,000 on electricity with most charge at home and rare EA charges. Historically speaking, I’d get oil changes every 5K so there’s 16 less oil changes replaced by 8 tire rotations-inspections. And of course the ICE maintenance included filters, fluids, plugs, coil packs, brake pads, as well as occasional wheel bearings, CV joints, etc. I would expect BEVs are no different on wear and tear though the elimination of heat damage is huge.

The MME’s tires are in excellent shape and they’ll look to roll to 75-80K. We charge at home with the a Charge Point Home Flex and as noted, occasional EA charging on the road. Both BEVs have been to Montana and back with no issues.

The ER LT is the long range warrior whereas the MME is the go-to around town, into the city car. Easy to navigate Seattle, Portland or the state capitol.

The long term mi/kWh for the LT is ~2.5 and the MME is ~3.5. Our $.0634/kwh for power is dirt cheap and is the real deal closer on BEV ownership. Both vehicles are garaged and preconditioned if used and particularly in the winter months Nov-February where mornings can be in the 30’s & icy. We do not have bitter Midwest cold but we deal with wind and rain, road debris. I hit a deer with the MME and that was a $6,000 repair.

In terms of OTA, etc, the MME has downloaded flawlessly. The LT is due a BMS replacement which should clear up its wonky electrical error messaging which hasn’t impacted performance but appears to have interfered with OTAs.

My crew razed me about the BEVs initially, though as I pile on the miles and fuel prices stay around $4.5-$5.0/gallon, they all get the long term future and daily cost savings on my daily 90 mile commute. Every gear head I know talks about “it is the future”, and there are 4 Lightnings in county now & we all know each other. I see more MMEs on the road as well. The balance of BEVs I see on the road are Teslas though no local Rivians or KIAs yet.

I view the two BEVs long term durability as “good” given the minor issues to date. As I’ll be retired in a year, the annual mileage will drop and the life of battery & component parts extends. There’s little doubt in my mind that these vehicles won’t see 200K miles. The lack of ICE heat damage & basic wear bodes well for electric vehicles though ultimate battery chemistry & longevity remains unknown. My parents Maytag freezer & fridge were given away in running condition after 50 years service 😂!

It is possible that our BEVs are the last vehicles we ever buy. That I know of, we are the only in-county 100% BEV household. Most are traditional ICE, then occasional hybrid with Prius & Mavericks common, though ICE Mavericks are becoming common too.

When BEVs drop into the low $30K or high $20K it’ll be game over by my estimation. Most are out of range in price for the average consumer and charging prices are too $$. I do see a coming grid issue with electricity demand and it’ll be interesting to watch how society responds in terms of future energy investment. While I’m fascinated with off the grid thoughts, the value proposition isn’t there for us to put in our own solar array & battery storage-inverter system.

What I do know? Never going back to ICE. I keep my ‘41 Ford 9N as the reminder of the past.

IMG_2930.jpeg
EVs are built for the future! And that is a gorgeous F-150 Lightning!
Sponsored