• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Active Air Dam System Fault

MBM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT SR 312A
My dealer said the same thing. They couldn’t diagnose anything because there were no codes. The service manager and I took a ride and of course the fault did not appear. Luckily, as I pulled out of the dealer parking lot and accelerated through 50 mph I got the fault. I didn’t hit OK, but turned around and pulled back into the service bay. I kept the truck on and told them the fault was active. They were then able to conclude there was a problem with the Active Air Dam motors which they replaced after a long wait for the parts.
So they replaced parts due to a single air dam fault code?

i’ve probably had at least 60 faults, which I believe they were able to see and clear at the dealership. The service manager reached out to Ford to see if they should do anything other than just wait for the upcoming update to the software.
Sponsored

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
So they replaced parts due to a single air dam fault code?

i’ve probably had at least 60 faults, which I believe they were able to see and clear at the dealership. The service manager reached out to Ford to see if they should do anything other than just wait for the upcoming update to the software.
I had many faults over a period of several months and 10k miles. I had told the dealer about it previously and they found some road debris in the slides which they removed. When that didn’t solve the problem I took it back and that is when they were not able to determine a cause because there was no active fault. So far I haven’t had the fault since they replaced the motors. 🫰

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
Interesting observation, the few times I've had this warning were in similar circumstances, last week, when slowing down quickly to a ramp off i495 heading to the DCFC station it triggered.

In Mass, a lot of our freeway ramps are short on approach, and tight turns heading toward to the secondary roads, I slowed from 75ish to 35ish in quick deceleration, the air dam may not have been fully retracted.

I've only had this issue 3 times in 8000+ miles
For me it is pretty much confirmed that this is the the issue. I have not had the warning with the one pedal off. It seems that with the one pedal on, the car slows too quickly.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Several more warnings last evening, the first event occured while driving on the freeway at a steady pace of 65 mph, it just popped up for no reason. Then again about 30 miles later as I was transitioning from one highway to another i495n to rt-2 west [MASS], then after about 15 miles when maneuvering into a Dunk's parking lot and the final destination parking lot.

Later that evening when we left to return home, the alert came on again when I fired up the truck, return trip home was mostly absent of alerts, but for the one last time after starting up once I finished a DCFC charging session.

I'm going to ignore these events for the time being, and wait for my 10k service, which is coming sometime this spring, maybe a software power-update will remedy the issue in the meantime.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Had the fault pop up, went through the wash and it went away. Snow/ice/dirt/bugs gets in there and triggers a fault. The system is sensitive so it doesn't break when something jams it.

Sponsored

2000Firehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
12.5k miles in and I continue to get the fault at random times. I do not believe it is related to sudden acceleration from one pedal drive deceleration because most of my events happen when accelerating at moderate speed for a highway on ramp. I will say it is random though as it happens some days and doesn’t on others with similar conditions (temps, driving, etc.). My tuck is parked inside more than half the time and we have had no snow in Maryland this year for salt or other debris.

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2022 Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Conservationist
I just got the fault for the first time last week. If the problem is the sensors are too sensitive, it seems like that's something which could be addressed by an OTA software update. We'll see!

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
Had the fault pop up, went through the wash and it went away. Snow/ice/dirt/bugs gets in there and triggers a fault. The system is sensitive so it doesn't break when something jams it.
I just started experiencing these a few weeks ago. I got about 70 miles per day on the highway and that's the only time it happens. I figured taking it for a car wash yesterday might fix it short term. No luck as I got one on the way in this morning. It doesn't seem to effect the kWh so I just hit the "ok" button and keep the rig rolling.

Galaxidan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
30 Model A,
Following because I have the same problems, no ice or cold in Florida but randomly get the air dam fault message. I put the truck on the lift the first time I got it and checked everything out. No visible problems. It's April and no change so no ota update?

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Oh goody!

I finally get to join this club! 4,300mi

Ford F-150 Lightning Active Air Dam System Fault 20230419_121839

OP
OP

TWmaine

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I need the jacket, I started this thread. And it is still showing most everyday and sometimes several times a day.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I need the jacket, I started this thread. And it is still showing most everyday and sometimes several times a day.
Did you ever try to lubricate the air dam tracks (WD-40...etc)?

Farmford42

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 Bronco
Occupation
Farmer
Anyone know if there is a way for a user to manually lower the air dam to clean it? I know the mud and grit gets in there but wondering if there is a good way to clean it.
Sponsored