• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
With all the cars I've had to drive for my job, I have yet to hear an interior sound added. I do know the exterior sound is regulatory until the tire noise is loud enough (about 20 mph).
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
With all the cars I've had to drive for my job, I have yet to hear an interior sound added. I do know the exterior sound is regulatory until the tire noise is loud enough (about 20 mph).
Ahem, Mustang Mach-E pipes in what Ford calls "propulsion" sound. Thankfully, it can be turned off.

vegas2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius, Fit
I was referring to Chargepoint, Juicebox, Grizzl-e, Ford Connected charger, etc.
Oh ok. I'm thinking what I can do is using my 40 amp charger which will be ok with my Bolt, as the bolt will only draw 32 amps. Once I get the ford, I'll use the current 40 amp charger exclusively on the ford where it has an appropriate 40 amp capable plug and use the ford evse with the bolt, if that makes sense. What plug does the ford come with for 240v charging? NEMA 14-50? That would e perfect, maxing out the bolt. Ford uses the standard J1772 connector I assume.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oh ok. I'm thinking what I can do is using my 40 amp charger which will be ok with my Bolt, as the bolt will only draw 32 amps. Once I get the ford, I'll use the current 40 amp charger exclusively on the ford where it has an appropriate 40 amp capable plug and use the ford evse with the bolt, if that makes sense. What plug does the ford come with for 240v charging? NEMA 14-50? That would e perfect, maxing out the bolt. Ford uses the standard J1772 connector I assume.
Yes J1772. Ford (standard range) can use anything the charger provides up to 48A. The Ford mobile charger comes with 2 swappable plugs: NEMA 14-50 and standard 110V plug.

blkZ28spt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 501A SCREW 4x4 tuned 3.5
Because it was well integrated, and you couldn't even tell.

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ahem, Mustang Mach-E pipes in what Ford calls "propulsion" sound. Thankfully, it can be turned off.
I get to find out in about two weeks...we are getting one to take apart then. ;)

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Because it was well integrated, and you couldn't even tell.
Yea, no. We specifically look for these types of things and even disconnect speakers to confirm. None of the vehicles I've tested have produced an internal sound to replicate an engine. I guess that will change when I get a Mach-E to disassemble in a couple of weeks. After watching Sandy's videos, it looks like getting to the module level will be a cakewalk (without requiring arc flash suits), and I'm hoping getting to the cell level will be much easier than what we are experiencing on the VW ID3.

vegas2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius, Fit
5. As for order confirmation, they plan to have a feedback loop with you to let you know if you have a more Popular order configuration and if you want to change anything to get it faster. You will have to sign a waiver to move the order process into the dealer's hands ( I assume this will get you a better place in line, but it also leaves the opportunity for the dealer to mark up the price). I plan to do everything online and involve my dealer only for pickup.
I can 100% order my truck without any dealer interaction? I will LOVE that!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
I just came from the event, and I can say it was worth getting lots of questions answered.

1. They learned from the failures of opening up orders for Bronco and Mach E. They will do it in waves based on when you placed your reservation. If you placed it in the first hour, you get the chance to order your vehicle before the person who did it a month later.

2. The survey they sent was not a finalized breakdown of the trims and pricing. The strategy was pretty much accurate, so not much will change, but they are using these meetups this year to finalize and improve the vehicle breakdown.

3. They were surprised by the breakdown of the survey, which they failed to predict with the Bronco. The sasquatch package was expected to be only ~20% of the orders on the Bronco, but this ended up being closer to 70%. Same with Lightning, they said over ~60% want a Lariat+ or higher trim, and a majority want the extended range battery. This was not necessarily expected when planing the manufacturing production capacity. Also, less than 10% wanted the pro or base version.

4. Highest region of reservation was California which makes sense based on EV charging capability and higher adoption rates of the EV here. This doesn't mean all vehicles will come here; first, it will be based on reservation time and order confirmation time.

5. As for order confirmation, they plan to have a feedback loop with you to let you know if you have a more Popular order configuration and if you want to change anything to get it faster. You will have to sign a waiver to move the order process into the dealer's hands ( I assume this will get you a better place in line, but it also leaves the opportunity for the dealer to mark up the price). I plan to do everything online and involve my dealer only for pickup.

6. The launch trims were meant to be the jack of all trades, which means being good off-road, able to tow, very fast off the line, etc. Options to get a better road-oriented vehicle with more aerodynamic wheels and tires or a more aggressive offroad look were not the point. Those trims might come later but probably not next year. That's also why they don't have the first edition because there are so many extras that come standard across all trims.
Of course, I thought of another question after the event: can the ProPower Onboard system provide power out at the same time the battery is being charged (especially L1/L2 charging)? Many campgrounds have one outlet and it would be good to plug the truck into that outlet (preferably 220V) and plug the trailer's "shore power" cord (typically 110v) into the truck.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Uh oh. Maybe I'm paranoid, but this sounds like laying the ground work for a "Well, no one wanted it anyway, so to keep things simple, we're not going to make the Pro until 2023."
Doubt it. Ford has just spun up a new Pro division focused on commercial customers. They want these trucks in the hands of their fleet buyers right away. They’re even hosting Pro days to show off the Transits and F-150s to Pro customers.

Based on how the model X reacted with a towing, range is cut by more than half!
Towing behind a car and towing behind a truck are very different. I don’t expect the range drop to be that high.

FWIW I don't know how Ford classifies business or fleet vehicles when they say that items are only available for fleet/commercial customers.
Ford know who their fleet buyers are. They had a separate Lightning reservation process for them.

Agreed. I totally understand why Ford would, when battery constrained, want to sell as many high-margin Lariats and Platinums as possible. It makes complete sense from a profit standpoint. Even better if they're standard range Lariats or similar, because they can build 1.5 SR Lariats with the batteries from 1 ER Pro, for instance, but get $90k (SR Lariat price x 1.5) instead of $50k (ER Pro).
Ford is the largest seller of commercial trucks. They want to make sure their fleet buyers have a chance to put these trucks to work

Has anyone heard any official statements on range estimates for the Extended Battery? I have seen the info on the "first look" videos showing 450+ range but I have not heard any official data. Are we still in the dark on that?
We haven’t been in the dark. It’s all in the tech specs

I didn't get a discount or use Ford finance, just the advertised incentives for retail at the time. I expect Ford will "Tesla" the rollout – sell the expensive models fully equipped first, satisfy the affluent first-kid-on-the-block buyers, then a year or two later, the bare bones hose-out models will start to arrive.
Ford hasn’t done that with other vehicles, I see no reason they will play those Tesla games now.

I think Pro pricing is a response to Cybertruck single motor. Tesla have not had a good track record with lower trims and if their 4680 issues are not resolved, at best they may have delays with all trims and at worse may cancel CT1 (have it off menu). In that case, there will be no pressure on Ford to produce and sell Pro. These two for both companies are for bragging rights more than profit. If they make enough money from the rest, they may forget about bragging.
As the biggest supplier of commercial trucks I expect the Pro is more about their customer base than playing a tit-for-tat with Elon Musk.

The benefit to the antenna (so I’m told) is that it whacks the top of low parking garages first, and let’s you know to mash the brake before you turn your $89K truck into a convertible!
I think it’s more about rising parts used on every other F-150 and delivering the kind of antenna that works best out in truck country.

Sponsored

LRscott

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid
Don't believe for a second the Lightning will go 300 miles on a single charge. The MPG Ford states for fuel economy on window stickers versus actual fuel economy are always overstated by at least 10%. The onboard mileage/trip computer overstates fuel economy too. The best I've achieved so far with my 2021 F 150 4x4 Hybrid is 18 MPG versus the stated 24 MPG. Going down hill with a tail wind actual MPG might be close to stated MPG.

If Ford says 300 miles on a charge that is code for many fewer miles. Perhaps 250 miles on a single charge is a safe expectation?

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Don't believe for a second the Lightning will go 300 miles on a single charge. The MPG Ford states for fuel economy on window stickers versus actual fuel economy are always overstated by at least 10%. The onboard mileage/trip computer overstates fuel economy too. The best I've achieved so far with my 2021 F 150 4x4 Hybrid is 18 MPG versus the stated 24 MPG. Going down hill with a tail wind actual MPG might be close to stated MPG.

If Ford says 300 miles on a charge that is code for many fewer miles. Perhaps 250 miles on a single charge is a safe expectation?
My Mustang Mach-E window sticker says Driving Range is 270 miles. Actual is about 315 miles.

corytx69

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3
If there is a chance to ask more questions, please find out if 100% of the purchase / financing can all be done online.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired oceanographer

Multiple independent reviewers and most everyone on MachEForum.com have found that the Mustang Mach E get significantly better mileage than the EPA ratings. This has been found for every model and battery/drive configuration. On the Mach E, Ford has consistently underpromised and overdelivered.

vegas2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius, Fit
If there is a chance to ask more questions, please find out if 100% of the purchase / financing can all be done online.
+1000. The 2 dealers in Nevada that I contacted in Reno and Carson told me they're selling at MSRP. While that is a good starting point, I'd love to find a dealer that can charge below msrp. I heard stories of some dealers doing invoice-3% on the bronco. Would be nice to get some kind of discount.

If I can't get that, I'd rather just be able to buy online and pick up at the local dealer if that's possible/confirmed.
Sponsored