• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I was contacted last week by an agency working with Ford to invite me and my wife to the event. Towards the end of the week it was revealed that it was a 2 day event. They offered to fly us in, to which I responded "by chopper"? The agency hadn't realized that we live 30 minutes away.
We arrived around noon yesterday, among a group of 20+ prospective customers and their +1s. People were flown in from around the country. Many we met expect their trucks in May or June. We haven't ordered ours, missing the cut but expecting to make the 2023 batch, given we reserved about 12 hours in.

After having lunch, we were driven to the Ford Dearborn Development Center. Everyone had a customized itinerary, designed to give a group of 4 private time with the trucks and Ford execs including Darren Palmer and Emma Berg, as well as some Ford engineers and event staff. During our time, it was mostly pouring rain unfortunately. Darren gave an overview of the truck, most of which was not new information to me, but some tidbits thrown in. I did not push for any "reveals" because I knew he wouldn't give them plus I don't have a YouTube channel... Our reactions were filmed, and we had to sign away rights including to our firstborn (eh!).

Lightning's interface is faster than the 2021 Mach-E with newer technology. Some things in the interface are added, some moved around. Mach-E will be getting a boatload of updates in October and April. They are all stacked up behind BlueCruise.

I listened while Darren took us through the interface, and it was clear they've been listening and reading forum threads. Nice to see. Darren asked me about our Mach-E experience and listened intently.

Then to the track, a large open concrete area. A Ford driver took us through a course of cones, basically the same as the drives that took place across the country last summer. Wasn't a "race car driver", hit a few cones. It was pouring buckets. Then it was my turn to drive. For engineer in passenger seat, and my wife sitting under the tent because she said "I know how you drive..." We were allowed to stomp on it on a straight shot, turn around, and do it again. No cones to whip around, just 0 to however high you want to go. With noticeable standing water, we both felt the vehicle start to lose grip on a wheel or two as I passed 70, and adjust, i.e. the all time AWD sensed the slippage / hydroplanning and reacted to keep us headed straight. I did not slap the brakes, nor try to slide sideways or anything like some may have. My summary - it drives like an F-150 Mach-E. Everything felt the same, except the turning radius which matched the gas truck (we have a 2013 F-150).

Got another chance to talk to Darren, and asked some questions about Ford's awareness of the issues that some of us have experienced with our year 1 vehicles. I did talk specifics, both my experience and others. Again, I will state that they read the forum threads and nothing I said seemed to be new information to him.

I was asked why I had gone EV, and was headed towards another one, and truthfully answered that I felt it was my obligation to push Ford, dealers, and the industry to give us choice and not screw this up. They clearly appreciated that.

After the drive we had about an hour to relax in our rooms, then drinks and hor derves. That was all customers. Then to dinner at Ford's Garage, which has great food and a good craft beer selection. None of the senior execs were there, but some engineers and the event staff were.

Today we get bused over to the event site at noon, maybe a tour? (secret events), then the event at 1:30 which will be online as well.

I will take pictures today, yesterday between pouring rain and secret vehicles we couldn't photograph, the only shots I got were of me driving. Not exciting. We saw a vehicle a big instrument cluster on the roof (self-driving?) And several covered shapes that looked like they could be bigger pickups, or Excursions. Or maybe they brought in competitor's vehicles to confuse us?

Picture from GoogleMaps, you can't tell but there is a control tower right in the middle.

Screenshot_20220426-083609_Maps.jpg
Great write up and feed back of the event. Thanks for keeping it real for them. Hoping they truly listen and learn how to make good updates and keep the software relevant and innovative, fixing what is wrong along the way. Glad you were able to go.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Thanks for the write-up. Seems like a great experience. Out of curiosity did they explain how/why they picked the lucky few that got to attend the event?
They did not. Some were customers (i.e. truck is coming in next few months) that they called, and then invited.

I think I was invited because of my wit and charm, but perhaps I'm mistaken. o_O

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
day, breakfast, then sat around in room until we were bused over to the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center, built at the historic Rouge complex. After going through security (metal detector), we were given admittance bracelets to go through our customer bracelets. As we entered there was a display of old to new - Model A to Lightning. We were shown where the food was (for us and the employees), and where the assembly line was, and shown our area to watch the proceeds (right up front to the right of the stage). We were then told to wander around as we saw fit, unless someone told us not to.

With about 75 minutes until showtime, we wondered around the assembly area after snapping a picture of my wife in the frunk and sending it to my kids. I was disappointed that the Ford engineer with the keys wouldn't close the trunk and free me from ... nevermind...

There is no formal tour offered at this point to anyone. Line was shut down the entire time for workers to eat and attend the show.

It's a basic rectangular assembly line, with pieces of the trucks moving on carts. Cab, which then gets instrument panel added, front grill, etc. Then the back end comes around and joins it, battery pack comes in and is wedded to the upside down chassis, which is then turned and matched with the body.

After the show, we wondered around, had nice Cappuccino with either "Ford" or "F-150" in cinnamon sprinkled on top, and the got dropped off at the hotel and headed home.

After speaking to Ford employees in Engineering, Communications, Social Media, etc., I can say a few things.

1) They are really trying. This is a huge company set in its ways trying to reinvent itself, and they're hitting obstacles, and then smashing through them. Along the way there are issues, and they deal with them.

2) Ford is back on the forums as most know. They are reading the forums, and conveying issues to management including Darren Palmer, if he didn't learn of them himself in reading the forums.

3) People may expect to post an issue, and have @Ford Motor Company respond and either acknowledge it's an issue, or resolve it. That's not going to happen. Our culture doesn't allow companies to do that, especially in this industry, due to liability. They do learn of the issues, and I gave a suggestion for the forums in general that perhaps we'll see rolled out that may help in the process. Of course I brought up my issue (currently dead instrument panel during application of module updates during BlueCruise), and they are working with the dealership to try and resolve it.

Many were thrilled with their test drives. Since we both got to ride in one last summer at the drive event, and have a Mach-E, nothing really was a surprise to me as compared to others. Still emerged grinning after they drove us around, but when I drove it, in a downpour, just going back and forth in a straight line it didn't get the ear to ear grin. Maybe I'm getting jaded in my old age, or I was getting annoyed at everyone else that is getting one in a few months when I'm not... 🤣 😢

Pictures to follow...

#F150Lightning
#LightningStrikes

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning Attended F-150 Lightning Launch Event -- Writeup, Photos, Max Payload, GVWR PXL_20220426_155211487

Ford F-150 Lightning Attended F-150 Lightning Launch Event -- Writeup, Photos, Max Payload, GVWR PXL_20220426_155331063.MP

Ford F-150 Lightning Attended F-150 Lightning Launch Event -- Writeup, Photos, Max Payload, GVWR PXL_20220426_155653310

Ford F-150 Lightning Attended F-150 Lightning Launch Event -- Writeup, Photos, Max Payload, GVWR PXL_20220426_155727695.MP

Ford F-150 Lightning Attended F-150 Lightning Launch Event -- Writeup, Photos, Max Payload, GVWR PXL_20220426_161951276

Ford F-150 Lightning Attended F-150 Lightning Launch Event -- Writeup, Photos, Max Payload, GVWR PXL_20220426_162249519

Ford F-150 Lightning Attended F-150 Lightning Launch Event -- Writeup, Photos, Max Payload, GVWR PXL_20220426_162701589

Ford F-150 Lightning Attended F-150 Lightning Launch Event -- Writeup, Photos, Max Payload, GVWR PXL_20220426_163044122

Ford F-150 Lightning Attended F-150 Lightning Launch Event -- Writeup, Photos, Max Payload, GVWR PXL_20220426_163304704

Ford F-150 Lightning Attended F-150 Lightning Launch Event -- Writeup, Photos, Max Payload, GVWR PXL_20220426_163545073.MP

Ford F-150 Lightning Attended F-150 Lightning Launch Event -- Writeup, Photos, Max Payload, GVWR PXL_20220426_163521880

Ford F-150 Lightning Attended F-150 Lightning Launch Event -- Writeup, Photos, Max Payload, GVWR PXL_20220426_163558391

Sponsored
OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I also got payloads off some production vehicles...

F-150L PRO with Michelin 275 65 R18 tires - 2,170 pounds GVWR 8,250, therefore 6,080 gross vehicle weight.

F-150L Lariat (didn't get tire info) - 1,721 pounds GVWR 8,550, therefore 6,829 gross vehicle weight.

F-150L Platinum with General Grabber 275/50 R 22 tires - 1,516 pounds GVWR 8,550, therefore 7,034 gross vehicle weight.

Of course there are packages within Lariat, and those have different payloads.

Ford F-150 Lightning Attended F-150 Lightning Launch Event -- Writeup, Photos, Max Payload, GVWR PXL_20220426_184734782

PRO

Ford F-150 Lightning Attended F-150 Lightning Launch Event -- Writeup, Photos, Max Payload, GVWR PXL_20220426_184826429.NIGHT

LARIAT

Ford F-150 Lightning Attended F-150 Lightning Launch Event -- Writeup, Photos, Max Payload, GVWR PXL_20220426_184728206

PLATINUM

Last edited:
OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I also want to make sure people know that I did attempt to work with Ford on my "acquiring" an F-150L, today, and they rebuffed my advances. I casually mentioned that we could climb into a truck cab on the assembly line, and then as it completed charging simply drive it out the door and into our garage 30 minutes away. I was really p'od when that plan was nixed by the Communications staff. I though it was a great idea.

syrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat 3.5L PowerBoost
awesome, thanks for sharing. probably one of first regular folk to see most of the colors all in one place, any look better or worse than you expected?

Last edited:
OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They all looked great.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
They did not. Some were customers (i.e. truck is coming in next few months) that they called, and then invited.

I think I was invited because of my wit and charm, but perhaps I'm mistaken. o_O
that's great news – your truck is coming in the next few months!

Sponsored

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
They all looked great.
Thank you for the write up! Just curious if there was a notable difference between the iconic silver and iced blue silver, if both were in the same room at the same time? My father is debating that color.
Thank you!

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you for the write up! Just curious if there was a notable difference between the iconic silver and iced blue silver, if both were in the same room at the same time? My father is debating that color.
Thank you!
Nothing labeled, nothing side by side to compare.

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Vorador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Ford Escape
day, breakfast, then sat around in room until we were bused over to the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center, built at the historic Rouge complex. After going through security (metal detector), we were given admittance bracelets to go through our customer bracelets. As we entered there was a display of old to new - Model A to Lightning. We were shown where the food was (for us and the employees), and where the assembly line was, and shown our area to watch the proceeds (right up front to the right of the stage). We were then told to wander around as we saw fit, unless someone told us not to.

With about 75 minutes until showtime, we wondered around the assembly area after snapping a picture of my wife in the frunk and sending it to my kids. I was disappointed that the Ford engineer with the keys wouldn't close the trunk and free me from ... nevermind...

There is no formal tour offered at this point to anyone. Line was shut down the entire time for workers to eat and attend the show.

It's a basic rectangular assembly line, with pieces of the trucks moving on carts. Cab, which then gets instrument panel added, front grill, etc. Then the back end comes around and joins it, battery pack comes in and is wedded to the upside down chassis, which is then turned and matched with the body.

After the show, we wondered around, had nice Cappuccino with either "Ford" or "F-150" in cinnamon sprinkled on top, and the got dropped off at the hotel and headed home.

After speaking to Ford employees in Engineering, Communications, Social Media, etc., I can say a few things.

1) They are really trying. This is a huge company set in its ways trying to reinvent itself, and they're hitting obstacles, and then smashing through them. Along the way there are issues, and they deal with them.

2) Ford is back on the forums as most know. They are reading the forums, and conveying issues to management including Darren Palmer, if he didn't learn of them himself in reading the forums.

3) People may expect to post an issue, and have @Ford Motor Company respond and either acknowledge it's an issue, or resolve it. That's not going to happen. Our culture doesn't allow companies to do that, especially in this industry, due to liability. They do learn of the issues, and I gave a suggestion for the forums in general that perhaps we'll see rolled out that may help in the process. Of course I brought up my issue (currently dead instrument panel during application of module updates during BlueCruise), and they are working with the dealership to try and resolve it.

Many were thrilled with their test drives. Since we both got to ride in one last summer at the drive event, and have a Mach-E, nothing really was a surprise to me as compared to others. Still emerged grinning after they drove us around, but when I drove it, in a downpour, just going back and forth in a straight line it didn't get the ear to ear grin. Maybe I'm getting jaded in my old age, or I was getting annoyed at everyone else that is getting one in a few months when I'm not... 🤣 😢

Pictures to follow...

#F150Lightning
#LightningStrikes
Just curious did anyone ask about potential integrated dash cam capabilities. I remember they said it was possible when they introduced the Mach E, and then heard nothing else after that.

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just curious did anyone ask about potential integrated dash cam capabilities. I remember they said it was possible when they introduced the Mach E, and then heard nothing else after that.
No idea. Groups of 4 at a time.
Sponsored