• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

400 mile range from the Lightning?

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
There is no such thing as the battery warming up giving more range. You get in and go, your driving habits will have much more of an impact on range than “warming up” the battery.

Smaller wheels, possibly.
Sponsored

Deleted member 9341

There is no such thing as the battery warming up giving more range. You get in and go, your driving habits will have much more of an impact on range than “warming up” the battery.

Smaller wheels, possibly.
I thought that intially too until I thought about it. I have an electric BMW and in the winter it definitely has much more range when parked in a heated garage overnight vs when it sits overnight out in the upstate NY cold. So from that perspective, “warmed up” is clearly better. Addionally we know batteries do warm up when in use (hence the cooling feature in max tow), so in a sense they do warm up and maybe that actually does have some not-so-readily-apparent benefit. Who knows, just speculating after owning 3 EVs in both a cold NY climate and warm SoCal climate. Warmer batteries clearly give me better range than colder ones…how you define warming up is somewhat subjective.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
I get what your saying.

If the lightening is anything like the tesla I drove, you have to hit the gas going down hill. Lifting off gas pedal will essentially stop the car.
Yes and no, if you have one pedal drive on then likely it will slow down and stop the vehicle. If you don't, it will coast down the hill and speed up MUCH faster than an ICE vehicle.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I thought that intially too until I thought about it. I have an electric BMW and in the winter it definitely has much more range when parked in a heated garage overnight vs when it sits overnight out in the upstate NY cold. So from that perspective, “warmed up” is clearly better. Addionally we know batteries do warm up when in use (hence the cooling feature in max tow), so in a sense they do warm up and maybe that actually does have some not-so-readily-apparent benefit. Who knows, just speculating after owning 3 EVs in both a cold NY climate and warm SoCal climate. Warmer batteries clearly give me better range than colder ones…how you define warming up is somewhat subjective.
I drove my Model 3 for over 30k miles and never noticed any change in range when the batteries were “warmed up” vs “cold”

Using the HVAC, Heater, driving habits, wheel size, tire size, weather, traffic all had a much bigger affect on range. Leaving it out on a Sunny day? Yeah, big effect with the car Cooling down the batteries.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired

Deleted member 9341

I drove my Model 3 for over 30k miles and never noticed any change in range when the batteries were “warmed up” vs “cold”

Using the HVAC, Heater, driving habits, wheel size, tire size, weather, traffic all had a much bigger affect on range. Leaving it out on a Sunny day? Yeah, big effect with the car Cooling down the batteries.
Guess we’ve had diff experiences. I’ve seen very notable differences. Just like with gas in very cold weather. I’ve never had a Tesla so can’t speak to their performance in the cold (10 below 0 to 30 above).

Last edited by a moderator:

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Guess we’ve had diff experiences. I’ve seen very notable differences. Just like with gas in very cold weather. I’ve never had a Tesla so can’t speak to them.
Mine was in the garage plugged in when not in used, 80% charge daily, temps never went below 30 degrees so that could be the difference. Overall estimated range reading dropped in the winter but efficiency and actual range never did. There are several factors that can help increase range, including keeping it plugged in when not in use, essentially keeping the batteries warm or cold depending on temp. I am not a engineer or battery whiz, so this is based just on my common EV owner experience.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Mine was in the garage plugged in when not in used, 80% charge daily, temps never went below 30 degrees so that could be the difference. Overall estimated range reading dropped in the winter but efficiency and actual range never did. There are several factors that can help increase range, including keeping it plugged in when not in use, essentially keeping the batteries warm or cold depending on temp. I am not a engineer or battery whiz, so this is based just on my common EV owner experience.
I don't think the battery thermal management demands in SoCal are equivalent to Upstate New York or even where I live in TN.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
There is no magic. Model X can go 3 miles per kWh. There is no way F150 can do (much) more than 2miles per kWh.

Vorador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Ford Escape
400 isn't going to happen. R1T has 135 kwh battery and has EPA rating of 314 miles using a mix of all purpose and conserve mode. Lightning has a 131 kwh battery. Its a bigger truck, so assuming the dual motors are more efficient than the R1T's quad motors, it'll barely get 300 miles.

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Preconditioning (warming) the battery in cold conditions will maximize charge/discharge performance. Here's a list of best cold weather practices from the Tesla owner's manual.
Does that apply to what the Ford rep said?

It sounds like the Ford rep said it needs to warm up as it drives and the range will increase (I'm basing this off the fact they were driving the truck, not charging it, at the time the claim was made. That's very much different than preconditioning a battery that's plugged in and charging before you start driving.

I didn't see anything on that link to suggest range will increase as you drive. I am very skeptical that the range increases as you drive the Lightning due to the battery "warming up" as the rep stated.

Last edited:

Seageo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60, ID.4
400 isn't going to happen. R1T has 135 kwh battery and has EPA rating of 314 miles using a mix of all purpose and conserve mode. Lightning has a 131 kwh battery. Its a bigger truck, so assuming the dual motors are more efficient than the R1T's quad motors, it'll barely get 300 miles.
Agreed.
I have a feeling the F150 will do better than the R1T in the city cycle due to weight, but will do worse than the R1T at highway speeds with the R1T in conserve mode primarily due to aero dynamics. It'll be interesting to see how they test out going 70.
Sponsored