• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

400 mile range from the Lightning?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
So the battery doesn't gain charge/range as it warms up, but on cold days/climates when the battery is cold soaked vs in a warm garage or just finishing a charge, there is some battery capacity/range you can't get to until it warms up. The BMS controls this. This is why when the battery is cold your regen will be reduced.

The cold battery can not charge as fast or discharge as fast, the BMS protects it.

This is why on a Tesla if you are headed to a Supercharger and the car knows it (you've selected it on the navigation) even on a moderate day it will still start to warm the battery so it can accept a faster charge. If you pull up with a cold battery you will not get a maximum charge
Sponsored

BCM

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150
Occupation
Retired
Just buy a hybrid or gas engine and be done with it.

• Haha
Reactions: cag

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
When I was out in the woods last year on a 30 degree day, I took my I Phone out of my pocket and sat it down on a piece of wood. Was there about one half hour. When I picked it up, battery was 38%. Put it back in the pocket of my fleece jacket. The next time I looked at the I Phone about an hour later, battery was at 75%
I don't know anything about battery technology, but temps do effect battery life, or so it appears.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Mine was in the garage plugged in when not in used, 80% charge daily, temps never went below 30 degrees so that could be the difference. Overall estimated range reading dropped in the winter but efficiency and actual range never did. There are several factors that can help increase range, including keeping it plugged in when not in use, essentially keeping the batteries warm or cold depending on temp. I am not a engineer or battery whiz, so this is based just on my common EV owner experience.

Here in Albany....30 degrees is practically Springtime. Break out the shorts!! LOL

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
There is no magic. Model X can go 3 miles per kWh. There is no way F150 can do (much) more than 2miles per kWh.
If you take Ford at face value..300mi will equal 2.3mi per KWh on the extended battery

Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
When I was out in the woods last year on a 30 degree day, I took my I Phone out of my pocket and sat it down on a piece of wood. Was there about one half hour. When I picked it up, battery was 38%. Put it back in the pocket of my fleece jacket. The next time I looked at the I Phone about an hour later, battery was at 75%
I don't know anything about battery technology, but temps do effect battery life, or so it appears.
It was your electric personality. ?

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Not a chance it will do 400 miles. Poor drivers in the northern part of the US will really be lacking in mileage for 6 month of the year when the cold and snow fly.

Right now I have to hold off, we have a trailer for my kids quarter midget car the racetrack is 80 miles round trip. Until I see how much these trucks can go in the real world towing a trailer no chance I am going to get one.

Not that it matters with current production limits it will be end of 2023 early 2024 before they really start coming off the line.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Not a chance it will do 400 miles. Poor drivers in the northern part of the US will really be lacking in mileage for 6 month of the year when the cold and snow fly.

Right now I have to hold off, we have a trailer for my kids quarter midget car the racetrack is 80 miles round trip. Until I see how much these trucks can go in the real world towing a trailer no chance I am going to get one.

Not that it matters with current production limits it will be end of 2023 early 2024 before they really start coming off the line.
I have a friend that has similar commute and towing needs, who also lives in a very cold part of the northeast. My advice to him was buy an electric car/truck in 3 years.

Being an early adopter is how I've always been and there is a qualitative value that I get having fun stuff first. My 1080p 52" TV for over $3k over 15 years ago seems like a rip off now, but damn was it cool. Three years later a comparable TV was half the price and 40% higher quality. The same thing will happen with EVs when the market is saturated. I am very curious what the SR range will be when the redesign of the Lightning is launched, but I assume is 230 mile people won't be happy. Despite this, I just can't wait for mine!

Sponsored

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
I have a friend that has similar commute and towing needs, who also lives in a very cold part of the northeast. My advice to him was buy an electric car/truck in 3 years.

Being an early adopter is how I've always been and there is a qualitative value that I get having fun stuff first. My 1080p 52" TV for over $3k over 15 years ago seems like a rip off now, but damn was it cool. Three years later a comparable TV was half the price and 40% higher quality. The same thing will happen with EVs when the market is saturated. I am very curious what the SR range will be when the redesign of the Lightning is launched, but I assume is 230 mile people won't be happy. Despite this, I just can't wait for mine!

Probably not, but I assume a retrofit will eventually be possible with new and improved batteries.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 KR F150
This is why on a Tesla if you are headed to a Supercharger and the car knows it (you've selected it on the navigation) even on a moderate day it will still start to warm the battery so it can accept a faster charge. If you pull up with a cold battery you will not get a maximum charge
The Taycan also does this.

The problem with the EV is that it consumes power to warm the battery.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 KR F150
Probably not, but I assume a retrofit will eventually be possible with new and improved batteries.
Only problem with that will be cost. If it's in 3 years or so, you would most likely be better off buying a new one. All the tech will be updated and not just the battery.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 KR F150
Just buy a hybrid or gas engine and be done with it.
This is what I finally decided to do. Wife decided to buy an EV in December and that derailed my plans, we both started thinking have two EV's might not be a wise choice right now.

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
Only problem with that will be cost. If it's in 3 years or so, you would most likely be better off buying a new one. All the tech will be updated and not just the battery.

Well yea. But I was thinking more of like in 10.
Sponsored