• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I'm surprised to see reports that Ford will build 80K units for the first year … I would have thought there's far more demand.
I believe that 80k is the current max capacity of the factory where they are building the Lightning. They may actually produce less than that the first year. I have yet to see anything that states actual numbers for the first year, just that it will be limited production. I have a feeling demand for this truck will outstrip supply for many years especially as people begin to see their neighbors with one and realize how much better it is than the ICE version.
Sponsored

Skeighle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 tacoma, 2013 crv, lightning preorder
I believe that 80k is the current max capacity of the factory where they are building the Lightning. They may actually produce less than that the first year. I have yet to see anything that states actual numbers for the first year, just that it will be limited production. I have a feeling demand for this truck will outstrip supply for many years especially as people begin to see their neighbors with one and realize how much better it is than the ICE version.

Also don't forget battery constraints. Ford needs to deliver a number of evs, continue developing and testing, and have extra batteries for replacement parts. They take time to produce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bikes
Welp. If it really is late 2022, early 2023 for delivery I may have to look to something else. I'm not looking to drive my Tundra for another year or more. I wonder when order books open if they will give any realistic timeframes on delivery then.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Welp. If it really is late 2022, early 2023 for delivery I may have to look to something else. I'm not looking to drive my Tundra for another year or more. I wonder when order books open if they will give any realistic timeframes on delivery then.
Personally, I'd keep driving my current vehicle unless there was something major wrong that just didn't make sense to repair. Trying to get a vehicle in the next year or so is going to be rough as it appears there is no sign of the chip shortage letting up soon. I live in the Dallas area and before covid, the typical discount on a pickup was $10k off MSRP maybe a bit more or a bit less depending on configuration. Now, good luck paying MSRP, more likely you'll pay several thousand over. I don't see this getting better in the next 6 months to a year.

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sequoia/QX60, Maybe Bronco 6G WT
That's a good idea if they can make it work. Like, telling people, "hey, the hardtops are the holdup, want to switch without losing your spot?" I assume.
#9 makes me think that tone is shifting from early 2022 to mid 2022. For most of us, it will likely be fall/early 2023.
Time to adjust the plans.
Unrelated to anything important, but I personally enjoy how many others must also have a Bronco reservation.

Sponsored

thevofl

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Antimatter Blue F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Math
Personally, I'd keep driving my current vehicle unless there was something major wrong that just didn't make sense to repair. Trying to get a vehicle in the next year or so is going to be rough as it appears there is no sign of the chip shortage letting up soon.
I have an order (on 5/1) for a Platinum Hybrid that is waiting for a VIN. I really wanted my next vehicle to be an EV (specifically a pickup). I wasn't hearing anything at the time other than reservations. Once the Lightning was announced and hearing that it would be spring '22 at the earliest, I skipped sending Ford $100 as I am looking to a vehicle soon, thinking that I would be in possession of my F150 Hybrid this summer.

With no VIN in sight I thought I would switch over to the desired Lightning. With a reservation number right around 120,000, I doubt I will get the Lightning before a year from now.

So I will stick with my Hybrid order and switch out in 2023. By then I should also have solar panels installed on my house.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
The benefit to the antenna (so I’m told) is that it whacks the top of low parking garages first, and let’s you know to mash the brake before you turn your $89K truck into a convertible!
It also gives you the opportunity to stick one of these on your truck:

Ford F-150 Lightning Answers & Info From F-150 Lightning Event. 300 mile range with 1000 lbs payload confirmed 1628546077474

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Thanks for the info. As a Mach E owner I like to give as much info to all the owners. Any questions, any doubts, any reservations are all answered thru the forum. I am one of the early reservation holders and I am looking forward to my F150 Lightning. I had to wait 14 months for my Mach E.
I have learned from my Mach E a lot. The experience is enlightening. Can't wait for the Lightning. OTA updates will make the experience even greater.
Patience.!!!

vegas2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius, Fit
Not sure if I have seen this covered before, but can the lightning charge amps be customized to charge at a lower amperage? My home outlet that charges the bolt goes to 40 which is my outlet max amp. The bolt is fine because it makes out at 32amps. The evse is 40amp. So I'd like to use this evse with the lightning but set it to 32 amps while home charging, and 40 when I'm at an RV charge port that can support the full 40 amps.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Not sure if I have seen this covered before, but can the lightning charge amps be customized to charge at a lower amperage? My home outlet that charges the bolt goes to 40 which is my outlet max amp. The bolt is fine because it makes out at 32amps. The evse is 40amp. So I'd like to use this evse with the lightning but set it to 32 amps while home charging, and 40 when I'm at an RV charge port that can support the full 40 amps.
The mobile charger that will come with Lightning is 32A, so you can use that. Most 48A and 40A chargers allow you to change the Amps they draw (either through the App or DIP switches). Note that at 32A it will take a full day and night to charge the extended range battery.

Sponsored

vegas2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius, Fit
The mobile charger that will come with Lightning is 32A, so you can use that. Most 48A and 40A chargers allow you to change the Amps they draw (either through the App or DIP switches). Note that at 32A it will take a full day and night to charge the extended range battery.
Yah, my 40 amp(mustart) evse does not allow any amp changes (I think)

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Yah, my 40 amp(mustart) evse does not allow any amp changes (I think)
I was referring to Chargepoint, Juicebox, Grizzl-e, Ford Connected charger, etc.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I believe that even with a fairly simple evse, the vehicle and the box still communicate. The cable is going to tell the vehicle it can only supply x amperage.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
Why the fake propulsion sound? It’s so stooopid. They put it in the Expedition to make it sound like it has a V8. Real subtle, most people don’t realize it’s fake, but turn it to Sport mode and it pumps the volume and it becomes really cheesy. Did some marketing exec actually think that people wanted this? Or that people wouldn’t buy their truck/SUV if it didn’t sound like it had a bigger engine in it? Oh, and they did the same on the Bronco Sport. No fake noise there normally, but if you put it in Sport mode, then it suddenly growls like an old-timey V8 Bronco and it’s comically out of place and poorly done. If I could meet the person who approved that I’d love to kick him/her square in the nuts.

They put fake V8 Mustang noise in the Mach-E, but at least there’s an option to turn it off.

Being a long-time Tesla owner, I can say one of the greatest things about electric is the SILENT power. …Well, my first Model S kinda sounded like a small jet spooling up for take-off when accelerating hard, but that was cool in a different way. The Mach-E sounds like a dentist drill, so yeah, I’d want to cover that up, but fake V8 noise isn’t the answer.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Why the fake propulsion sound? It’s so stooopid. They put it in the Expedition to make it sound like it has a V8. Real subtle, most people don’t realize it’s fake, but turn it to Sport mode and it pumps the volume and it becomes really cheesy. Did some marketing exec actually think that people wanted this? Or that people wouldn’t buy their truck/SUV if it didn’t sound like it had a bigger engine in it? Oh, and they did the same on the Bronco Sport. No fake noise there normally, but if you put it in Sport mode, then it suddenly growls like an old-timey V8 Bronco and it’s comically out of place and poorly done. If I could meet the person who approved that I’d love to kick him/her square in the nuts.

They put fake V8 Mustang noise in the Mach-E, but at least there’s an option to turn it off.

Being a long-time Tesla owner, I can say one of the greatest things about electric is the SILENT power. …Well, my first Model S kinda sounded like a small jet spooling up for take-off when accelerating hard, but that was cool in a different way. The Mach-E sounds like a dentist drill, so yeah, I’d want to cover that up, but fake V8 noise isn’t the answer.
Id estimate about 90% of cars nowadays have sound pumped into the cabin. Ford is just doing what they think will help transition buyers faster.
Sponsored