• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

400 mile range from the Lightning?

Deleted member 9341

When I was out in the woods last year on a 30 degree day, I took my I Phone out of my pocket and sat it down on a piece of wood. Was there about one half hour. When I picked it up, battery was 38%. Put it back in the pocket of my fleece jacket. The next time I looked at the I Phone about an hour later, battery was at 75%
I don't know anything about battery technology, but temps do effect battery life, or so it appears.
Yep. Leave an iphone in the cold or in the sun and it will shut down completely after awhile.
Sponsored

Gary H

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Super Duty
Occupation
Truck Driver
Ford Rep are like politicians they will tell you what you want to hear I was at the LA Auto Show and the Rep told all of us that all Lightning’s would come with 15.5 touchscreen’s he was wrong so I’ll wait till I get mine I was wave 2 but the Pro was sold out see what wave I’ll get in MY23

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
It'll go 400 miles at 30mph on flat land at 70F. If that's your use case then congrats, you can get a 400 mile truck!

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Only problem with that will be cost. If it's in 3 years or so, you would most likely be better off buying a new one. All the tech will be updated and not just the battery.
This is somewhat true, but the advances won't be as big as you might think. Everyone's EV motors of the same type, say permanent magnet, are highly efficient already. Squeezing even 1% better efficiency out of the motors requires substantial $$$.

How about battery management? Well, Ford/Toyota/GM have been making lots of hybrids for a long time. Their battery management systems are fairly mature. Even Tesla has decent battery management.

Batteries themselves are the big opportunity. The chemistry and anode designs still have a lot of engineering left to get to theoretic energy densities, higher durability, and less susceptibility to unintended thermal events. Batteries also have huge opportunities for cost reduction, which is important since they are by far the most expensive component of a BEV powertrain.

Sponsored

Ave8ter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Mazda CX9, F-150 (on order)
Occupation
Retired
There is no such thing as the battery warming up giving more range. You get in and go, your driving habits will have much more of an impact on range than “warming up” the battery.

Smaller wheels, possibly.
We have a Tesla Model 3 and the range is much better with a "warm" battery. Also, until the battery warms up, there is no, or lessened, regenerative charging. Tesla recommends that in very cold weather, you turn on cabin heat while in garage (preferably still plugged in) and the inceased performance will more than make up for the electricity in warming up. The other huge drain is speed as drag is a reciprocal function. My wife was concerned about range coming home the other day from a long trip. I told her to just slow down and she would be fine. Her response: "I already slowed down to 78."

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
We have a Tesla Model 3 and the range is much better with a "warm" battery. Also, until the battery warms up, there is no, or lessened, regenerative charging. Tesla recommends that in very cold weather, you turn on cabin heat while in garage (preferably still plugged in) and the inceased performance will more than make up for the electricity in warming up. The other huge drain is speed as drag is a reciprocal function. My wife was concerned about range coming home the other day from a long trip. I told her to just slow down and she would be fine. Her response: "I already slowed down to 78."
I am probably wrong about all this but like I said I didn’t not notice a significant difference. Maybe I am thinking of the wrong thing when reading “warmed up” I do know that range went down quickly in hot weather with the battery trying to cool down. But for those in significant cold weather I can see how it would improve range

Aces_Over_Kings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 3.5 Ecoboost; 2022 Lariat ER (poached)
For what it's worth, I was able to take a 25 minute (13 mile) test drive with decent stretch of highway for half the distance and a long set of residential back roads on the way back.

Was very gentle with it, enjoyed watching the regen display when taking the foot off the gas, and the weather conditions, lack of hills, and the residential drive speeds & regen were probably close to best-case conditions.

Trip stats at the end were 2.7 mi / kW. Lariat ER, no max tow. That gets you ~ 353 miles. Short of a one-way downhill trip, don't think anyone will be touching 400.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
I am willing to bet that the F-150 Lightning *can* do 400 miles on a single charge.(*)

In 2013, a good friend of mine made a Tesla Model S go 400 miles on a single charge, and it was only EPA-rated to 265 miles at the time. Of course, all side roads, average speed 27 mph...

How you drive makes a BIG difference. In the early days of Tesla, we saw all sorts of different driving styles (and therefore all sorts of driving ranges). I couldn't get less than 360 Wh/mi (2.7 mi/kWh, about 20% less than rated), while others in the some area were getting an average of 270 Wh/mi (3.7 mi/kWh, about 11.5% better than rated). I (and others like me) enjoyed the car and its performance, the latter were set on hypermiling. Many had experience with hypermiling Prius vehicles and took pride in being the absolute slowest off the line and driving the minimum speed on the highway - not for me, thank you.

(*) Some restrictions apply. 400 mile range is achievable at an average of 27 mph and with climate control off with outside ambient temperature above 70 degrees with calm winds. Total vehicle occupant weight of 150 lbs. max, with no cargo. Consult the manual for more details.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I am willing to bet that the F-150 Lightning *can* do 400 miles on a single charge.(*)

In 2013, a good friend of mine made a Tesla Model S go 400 miles on a single charge, and it was only EPA-rated to 265 miles at the time.

(*) Some restrictions apply. 400 mile range is achievable at an average of 27 mph and with climate control off with outside ambient temperature above 70 degrees with calm winds. Total vehicle occupant weight of 150 lbs. max, with no cargo. Consult the manual for more details.
Yup - nice flat stretch of road, good temperatures, with the cruise set at 40mph.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Yup - nice flat stretch of road, good temperatures, with the cruise set at 40mph.
Interestingly enough, those who were going for hypermiling found that humans can get better-than-cruise range, only because cruise-control systems tend to be more aggressive with their inputs... encounter a slight uphil, and the vehicle wants to add acceleration aggressively to get you back to set speed; encounter a slight downhill, and the vehicle enters regen (not perfect recovery on energy) to drop you the 1 mph. By using one-pedal driving and feathering the input properly, hypermilers can generally do much better without cruise.
Sponsored