• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anybody claimed their 2023 tax credit yet?

rio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Chevy Volt, 2023 F150 Lightning Pro
Anybody who bought a tax credit-qualifying Lightning in 2023 already filed their taxes? I'm planning to do mine soon (I file by myself using Freetaxusa). Wondering if anybody's run into any surprises. I got confirmation from my dealer that they filed the 15400 form.
Sponsored

BhamDCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Pro ER
I haven’t officially filed mine yet but I did get started on them the other day. I put in the info required and got the $7500 credit.

I’m waiting on confirmation from my dealer that they filed the 15400 form but it appears they did.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I filed for my 'Used EV Tax Credit' for our son's 2017 Chevy Bolt, for $4,000, and it was just another simple entry into the Cash App Tax software/website - requiring the VIN, the Year/Make/Model, a question of whether the vehicle is at least 'two model years' old, and the PRICE. There WAS one additional question about what my 2022 'AGI' line 11 was, which has something to do with 'income' eligibility, I suppose.
The dealer had already supplied a form showing the details and a checkbox for 'eligible' for the tax credit.

Frankhpns

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired military
Anybody who bought a tax credit-qualifying Lightning in 2023 already filed their taxes? I'm planning to do mine soon (I file by myself using Freetaxusa). Wondering if anybody's run into any surprises. I got confirmation from my dealer that they filed the 15400 form.
We picked up a 2023 XLT in Tallahassee. We live in Pensacola.Tax credit was applied at POS with no problem. Pensacola Ford and Crestview Ford were clueless about the credit. I assume it is at dealers description and if they have an under standing on how the system works.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You seem to be under the belief that there is some real-time check in place to look for the dealerships filing before accepting your return. There is not.

I do it on TurboTax and can’t get as the form isn’t available until 2/21/24. Waiting patiently
The form is there, you just can't E-File until that date.

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We picked up a 2023 XLT in Tallahassee. We live in Pensacola.Tax credit was applied at POS with no problem. Pensacola Ford and Crestview Ford were clueless about the credit. I assume it is at dealers description and if they have an under standing on how the system works.
You bought in 2024, which isn't what is being asked about.

OP
OP

rio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You seem to be under the belief that there is some real-time check in place to look for the dealership's filing before accepting your return. There is not.
Nope, I'm not. I just want to know if the tax prep software is in order regarding the EV tax credit.

Minh

First Name
Minh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
You seem to be under the belief that there is some real-time check in place to look for the dealership's filing before accepting your return. There is not.

The form is there, you just can't E-File until that date.
Thanks man. I did find it odd the form isn’t ready but yes this make sense

Dave70

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning
I filed on January 22nd, with freetaxusa, their form was ready to go. Federal return was accepted by the IRS on January 24th. I just entered the VIN, put down 7500 for the credit, and something else. Very easy, and my federal refund is get deposited in my bank tomorrow.

Sponsored
OP
OP

rio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I filed on January 22nd, with freetaxusa, their form was ready to go. Federal return was accepted by the IRS on January 24th. I just entered the VIN, put down 7500 for the credit, and something else. Very easy, and my federal refund is get deposited in my bank tomorrow.
Nice!

azypather

First Name
Azy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Merc GLe 350, 2018 VW Golf SE, 2023 F150 - L
Occupation
IT Consultant
I have been wondering about this myself. The invoice says nothing about the fact that the vehicle is electric...I suppose the IRS uses the VIN to verify...if they do at all! Thanks to @rio for starting this thread.

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
There is something wonky with the EV charger 30% rebate on Turbotax at the moment. And, as noted above, Turbotax won't allow submissions if you claim an EV credit until forms are updated later this month. I'm hoping those updates resolve the EVSE rebate as well.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There is something wonky with the EV charger 30% rebate on Turbotax at the moment. And, as noted above, Turbotax won't allow submissions if you claim an EV credit until forms are updated later this month. I'm hoping those updates resolve the EVSE rebate as well.
Many people are surprised that the EVSE rebate has the alternative minimum tax taken into consideration, and they lose it.
Sponsored