• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2023 Tax Year Credit

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
As many of you, I have purchased a Lightning in 2023. I qualify for, and should be receiving, the full $7500 tax credit. When I purchased my vehicle, I received Ford's version of Form 30D "Seller's Report for Section 30D Clean Vehicle Credit" from my dealership. I have recently reached back out to them to confirm they will be submitting my details to the IRS to ensure I receive my tax credit. Now my calls and emails have gone unanswered from dealership management, they are totally ghosting me. I have never filed for an EV tax credit. I assume you submit the correct paperwork and then the IRS cross references the claim with inventory actually sold. Does anyone have experience with this?
Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I purchased in 2022. I would have to check but I believe Turbo Tax spit out all the forms that I needed to get that $7500.
edit - I had to wait until February 2023 for Turbo Tax to make Form 8936 (?) available.

OP
OP
jetfixr1

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I purchased in 2022. I would have to check but I believe Turbo Tax spit out all the forms that I needed to get that $7500.
Yes, there is an IRS form that is submitted on our end when filing. My concern is the dealership on the back end.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Since this is new for 2023, no one has had experience.

I would simply file my taxes and not worry about it. I plan on doing just that.

Sponsored

VTHokies

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
I didn't receive the form from my dealership when I purchased in October and I asked them about it this week and they had no clue what I was talking about...

I'm eligible for the credit so I'm not worrying about it, I'll just fill out the proper paperwork when I file my taxes.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
As many of you, I have purchased a Lightning in 2023. I qualify for, and should be receiving, the full $7500 tax credit. When I purchased my vehicle, I received Ford's version of Form 30D "Seller's Report for Section 30D Clean Vehicle Credit" from my dealership. I have recently reached back out to them to confirm they will be submitting my details to the IRS to ensure I receive my tax credit. Now my calls and emails have gone unanswered from dealership management, they are totally ghosting me. I have never filed for an EV tax credit. I assume you submit the correct paperwork and then the IRS cross references the claim with inventory actually sold. Does anyone have experience with this?
Don't worry about it at this time, but do keep copies of the letter the dealer gave you along with the sales paperwork, window sticker.

I'm not 100% certain yet, but's unlikely there will be any holds on claims made when you file your returns. The IRS has a long winded process for gathering data, compiling return filings and then cross matching everything.

I'm guessing they will use the "Under Reporter Analysis System" to detect compliance mis-matches, this process will probably not start until the spring/summer of 2025, by then all timely filed tax returns will have posted as well as timely and late filed information returns filed and processed

The AUR {Automated Under Reporter} will uptake all the matching failures, tax examiners will review the cases in batched themes, where only issues are W2's, then INT/DIV, then NEC/MISC, then RENT, etc....... eventually they will look at cases with missing compliance certifications (where the dealer was ignorant or ignored their high priced CPA and failed to submit the data as the IRA requires).

At this point should you be contacted, via a CP2501, CP2000, or a traditional audit process, have all your back up documents ready to prove that you qualified for the credit regardless of the lack of validation from the dealership.

I'd venture to guess that 99.89 % of folks contacted will have a NO CHANGE case closing, ie. you won't have to return the credit. During this process IRS will likely determine the flagrant disregard of the dealerships and handle them with some form of civil penalty and banning them from participation in the retail POS credit process.

OP
OP
jetfixr1

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Don't worry about it at this time, but do keep copies of the letter the dealer gave you along with the sales paperwork, window sticker.

I'm not 100% certain yet, but's unlikely there will be any holds on claims made when you file your returns. The IRS has a long winded process for gathering data, compiling return filings and then cross matching everything.

I'm guessing they will use the "Under Reporter Analysis System" to detect compliance mis-matches, this process will probably not start until the spring/summer of 2025, by then all timely filed tax returns will have posted as well as timely and late filed information returns filed and processed

The AUR {Automated Under Reporter} will uptake all the matching failures, tax examiners will review the cases in batched themes, where only issues are W2's, then INT/DIV, then NEC/MISC, then RENT, etc....... eventually they will look at cases with missing compliance certifications (where the dealer was ignorant or ignored their high priced CPA and failed to submit the data as the IRA requires).

At this point should you be contacted, via a CP2501, CP2000, or a traditional audit process, have all your back up documents ready to prove that you qualified for the credit regardless of the lack of validation from the dealership.

I'd venture to guess that 99.89 % of folks contacted will have a NO CHANGE case closing, ie. you won't have to return the credit. During this process IRS will likely determine the flagrant disregard of the dealerships and handle them with some form of civil penalty and banning them from participation in the retail POS credit process.
That was very informative! I take it you used to deal with taxes, you seem well versed. Thank you!

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
That was very informative! I take it you used to deal with taxes, you seem well versed. Thank you!
Hence his name. "Hog"... ;)

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I began my career at IRS Andover processing center, and worked in the process hands on and know the nitty-gritty details of how they work. I retired from the IRS with 33 years of service as a Revenue Officer, [the government's version of a mobb leg breaker] just to give you context, though in reality since RRA 1998 we're kinder & gentler professional.

Sponsored

jmill27

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning lariat
I didn't receive the form from my dealership when I purchased in October and I asked them about it this week and they had no clue what I was talking about...

I'm eligible for the credit so I'm not worrying about it, I'll just fill out the proper paperwork when I file my taxes.
I was at the dealership yesterday with this same topic and they said they will get back to me. I also follow a thread on Reddit with specific forms from the IRS that is necessary to be submitted by the dealer: Form 15400.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Last edited:

Kal

First Name
K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
I am having the same issue, only our dealer did not give us a letter at the time of purchase. I am going there today to demand one since they aren’t responding. I feel like the window sticker details and other sales paperwork should suffice, but if they cost me $7500 then I will be majorly pissed.
Sponsored