• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Campground charging at this site?

reffahcs

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
You get zero volts. The same as not even plugging in.
Can you explain this? I've always been under the impression that signals (rf, electricity, light etc..) in phase are additive ie constructive interference, and signals that are 180 degrees out of phase are destructive. So if the two outlets were 180 out, I could understand a zero voltage, but if they were both in phase, wouldn't that double the voltage?

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Can you explain this? I've always been under the impression that signals (rf, electricity, light etc..) in phase are additive ie constructive interference, and signals that are 180 degrees out of phase are destructive. So if the two outlets were 180 out, I could understand a zero voltage, but if they were both in phase, wouldn't that double the voltage?
You have it backwards.
2-120vac 180 degrees out of phase measures 240vac

Ford F-150 Lightning Campground charging at this site? IMG_1186

reffahcs

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
I don't understand it as it goes against what little I know about physics, but I will take this as a learning point and hopefully will understand it one day.
Ford F-150 Lightning Campground charging at this site? 1711338855774-dv

Ford F-150 Lightning Campground charging at this site? 1711338812726-tx

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I don't understand it as it goes against what little I know about physics, but I will take this as a learning point and hopefully will understand it one day.
1711338855774-dv.png

1711338812726-tx.png
I’m not sure if interference is the same but I’m going off the peak and bottom differences.

Sponsored

THX1138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
We used hookup this last year to power the camper trailer. Before plugging the trailer in, I plugged the Lightning in the NEMA 1450 plug and it was charging like a champ, but we used it to power the trailer, but I did used the 120V outlet to charge the truck whenever we weren't driving it for the 3.5 days we were there.

Today, we were at the camping space that we booked for this coming September but we wanted to see if we could just plug up today while no one was using it. I plugged in the Ford Mobile charger into the 1450 outlet and I heard some sizzling noise like there was some condensation being burned off in the outlet. I was going to snatch it out but I waited to see if the moisture would burn off, which it did quiet down a bit. I then plugged it into the Lightning and the outlet made a little more noise but quieted back down. I Looked at the dash and it said "CHARGING"! I then sat in the truck to see how long it would take to charge 2 percent. The SOC went from 59% to 58% in about 3 minutes! I wasn't sure if I read it wrong the first time, so I waited another few minutes and it then went to 57%! Now I'm wondering wth? I immediately unplugged the truck and unplugged the FMC from the outlet.

I'm trying to figure out what the hell went on that took the battery from 59% to 57%, instead of going up. Does anyone here have an idea what I did wrong? The truck said it was "CHARGING". We drove the truck another 100 miles after that, so it looks like there was no adverse affects to the truck *fingers crossed*, but I'm still scratching my head as to what went on. The outlet was clearly energized because I heard the water frying and also the truck said it was charging.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
You were giving power to the camp ground?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
You are t using the terms “in phase” and “out of phase” correctly.

Post 18 is the technical explanation, but in simpler terms, you asked “What if both are fed from the same phase…?”
That basically means that both “hot” wires originate from the same place. It’s the equivalent of measuring voltage between both ends of the same wire!

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Im not an electrician, but what happens if they’re on the same leg? Ie, same phase?
it depends on what side of the main panel that both separate 30a Breakers are attached to, likely the installers knew what they were doing and separated them to opposite sides, which is normal.

but, you never know until you try - at campgrounds, you'll likely not have access to any 'upstream' main panel that your campsite box is wired from, so only trying it will render the answer.

no, these 30a outlets are never wired onto the 'same' breaker, that's why the campsite box has TWO 30amp breakers, just like TWO 30amp outlets...
Sponsored