• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charge Station Pro Problems

O’Majestic1’slightnigF150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350 F250 F250 Taurus Cessna Super Air Natique
Occupation
Retired Engineer & Product Developer
Anyone know how much “heat” the CSP generates on its own? Our temps yesterday were 100 plus for 10 hours maxing out at 111. 95 at 11 PM. 113f does not leave much of a “safety factor” during months without an R (May, June,July, August) for much of the Southwest.
Sponsored

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
Anyone know how much “heat” the CSP generates on its own? Our temps yesterday were 100 plus for 10 hours maxing out at 111. 95 at 11 PM. 113f does not leave much of a “safety factor” during months without an R (May, June,July, August) for much of the Southwest.
Your timing is perfect asking this because I was JUST tracking this on my Lectron 40A charger yesterday with my wife's PHEV.

Starting temperature of the charger read 105 degrees before I plugged it in. About an hour later, the charger was registering 124 degrees while delivering around 28A (her car can't accept the full 40).

Lectron says the safe operating temperature range is up to 131 degrees. Notably higher than the FCSP.

The high was about 99 degrees yesterday in St. Louis.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
It really shouldn't produce a lot of heat on its own. There will be some inevitable transfer losses, but it isn't actually doing anything. The EVSE effectively just negotiates with the vehicle to determine the maximum amperage to be used, and then it just sends it to the truck. The truck's onboard chargers convert the AC into DC which will generate a fair amount of heat even at lower ratings, but they're also liquid cooled.

That all said, the 113F spec is to what your ambient temperature is, not the temperature of the EVSE itself.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicles
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Occupation
Drug Dealer of the LED World
Well this is going to be fun. Was 103 here today. Will be that again tomorrow then 105 Saturday and Sunday. I think I read the CSP is rated for 115f. 93 as I post this at 9:30 PM CDT.
I just installed mine today with a license electrician, same problem. First hour at 80amps just fine, then it started doing the error. I monitor my electricity via Sense so I could see it drop out every 2 minutes and saw on the panel it would go to amber and then back to blue. Something was definitly up.

I made a new post, not realizing this was here. Someone said reset breaker, tried that no luck. I switched mine to 64amps and so far, almost 3 hours in not one issue.

It was about 90 here today in NY. While not 100+ it felt hotter then that all right. Very dry heat and felt very hot.

So i'm thinking maybe it was overheating and the circuitry inside the unit stopped it, before the breaker would trip. And going to 64amps put less "strain" on it??

That's my only guess. Unless there is just some kind of bug whenyou use 80 amps Ford has not worked out yet...

O’Majestic1’slightnigF150

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350 F250 F250 Taurus Cessna Super Air Natique
Occupation
Retired Engineer & Product Developer
Is the Lectron charger doing anything the FCSP is not? beatle, I get what you are saying but if all things are equal with the Lectron and FCSP, A 19F increase would make the FCSP pretty useless in the SW. 95F right now as I post this at 9:40 PM from a little west of San Antonio.

Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
It really shouldn't produce a lot of heat on its own. There will be some inevitable transfer losses, but it isn't actually doing anything. The EVSE effectively just negotiates with the vehicle to determine the maximum amperage to be used, and then it just sends it to the truck. The truck's onboard chargers convert the AC into DC which will generate a fair amount of heat even at lower ratings, but they're also liquid cooled.

That all said, the 113F spec is to what your ambient temperature is, not the temperature of the EVSE itself.
The coils in the contactors tend to generate some heat - not much, but they do.

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
If these issues are happening during the day, could it be triggered by current drops when other items come on rather than just heat? Could the charger reset if the available current drops below some set level and then resume after the demand spike? LIke the opposite of the breaker tripping

hg020680

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron, Audi A4, Mini Cooper S and soon F150 L
Occupation
Regional Property Manager
My charger worked just fine for 1 hour and 7 minutes. After that it has been non stop error messages.
Ford F-150 Lightning Charge Station Pro Problems Screenshot_20220713-201237_FordPass

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
My charger worked just fine for 1 hour and 7 minutes. After that it has been non stop error messages.
Screenshot_20220713-201237_FordPass.jpg
Curious, what was the ambient temperature at your charge location?

hg020680

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron, Audi A4, Mini Cooper S and soon F150 L
Occupation
Regional Property Manager
Curious, what was the ambient temperature at your charge location?
89°, I waited 4 hours and tried again when it was 83° and it did the same thing. I then dropped the max amperage to 72 and it worked thru the night.

Sponsored

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Wow. And I haven't even taken mine out of the box yet and it's already broken. I'm still using my portable charger (32A).

So the 80 amp EVSE really isn't 80 amps afterall. Fabulous.

Thanks to all the early-adopters and trail-blazers for pointing this out.

I wonder if providing VINs to somebody who works for Ford could help determine what this looks like from the vehicle's side of things, since errors are all reported to the cloud by the TCU (like all the time) It might be instructive to gather that sort of data from a group of known users who are having these issues. :unsure: Hmmm

...meanwhile I'll go call my electrician....

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Well, seems like I am making the right call in running the FCSP in parallel with my existing Grizzl-e instead of replacing it and getting the full 80A. Hopefully I never see this issue, sorry for those dealing with it.

Now the question remaining is do I run them both at 40A, or run the FCSP at 48A and the Grizzl-e at 32A to have one "fast" and one "slow" EVSE for our Mach-e and Lightning.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
You should give the Lightning 48A and the MME 32A. The battery on the Lightning is roughly 50% larger so I'd give it a 50% higher charge rate.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
You should give the Lightning 48A and the MME 32A. The battery on the Lightning is roughly 50% larger so I'd give it a 50% higher charge rate.
Yeah, that is how I was leaning - or if needed we could use the 48A on the Mach-e for a quicker charge (i.e. after work before a longer trip if we were taking the MME instead of the Lightning). MME will accept up to 48A.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Yeah, that is how I was leaning - or if needed we could use the 48A on the Mach-e for a quicker charge (i.e. after work before a longer trip if we were taking the MME instead of the Lightning). MME will accept up to 48A.
Wait....the MME will only accept up to 48A AC charging?

I did not know that. I was actually going to replace the portable charger with the Pro Charger and use that for both vehicles. I guess that idea is out now.

:poop:
Sponsored