• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Chest fridge for frunk

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I have a similar one. Actually, I have 3 different portal coolers. Why? I have no idea..

1) Coleman 40qt Thermoelectric: https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-PowerChill-Portable-Thermoelectric-Cooler/dp/B0083F8YZC/

It’s a good cooler, a bad fridge. It’s great if you want to maintain temperature but terrible if you want to bring temps down. I would only recommend using this inside the cab, and it’s too big to fit in the frunk

2) CHO 52 Liter: https://a.co/d/7wntO9k
Works well in moderate climate. Really struggled in the bed, under the tonneau cover in Florida sun and heat.

We really like this one for picnics, or situations where I can just pull this down and wheel it off, is perfect for using as a fridge at hotels without having to unpack it.

3) Apricool CF55: Alpicool CF55 Portable... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09XK76759

Similar to the one posted above, we absolutely love the performance of this one. We rarely move it, it’s too big to fit in the frunk but it’s great for passenger side rear seat. But 99% of the time it stays in the middle of our Model X.

We use it all the time, keeping drinks in the separated section and loading it up when we go to Costco.

The CF35 should fit in the frunk, and I like this enough that I’ve been considering picking up a 35 for the frunk
Interesting. Looks like the Apticool and EUHOMY are the same units with different names. I like the idea of buying another 35 Liter for the Lighning fronk. I’ll have to measure to make sure it fits.

We routinely travel 3 hours between house and cabin. This powered cooler has been a game changer.
Sponsored

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
This is my set up. I only plug it in when I'm using it and it gets cool pretty quick. I've only had this since February so no hot temp challenges so far but it's been great for food shopping. It's not huge but does the job. The mesh thing prevents it from bouncing around while driving.
tempImagelITk6W.png

https://www.costco.com/.product.1666589.html?emid=transactional_ordershipped_product

Phantom 30-liter Portable Electric Cooler

Item 1666589

Model QN30

13FT 12V Female Cigarette Lighter Socket Battery Eyelet Ring Terminal 12volt Extension Cord Outlet Adapter Plug Power Supply Car Electrical Dc Cigarettes Charger Accessory Connector Kit 15Fuse(13FT)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RMH3R8P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
I have the same one and never thought to place it there behind the net. Love that placement and going to copy you. Thanks! 🙂

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Does anyone have the part number for the frunk net? 2023s didn’t come with it.

Sponsored

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
This is my set up. I only plug it in when I'm using it and it gets cool pretty quick. I've only had this since February so no hot temp challenges so far but it's been great for food shopping. It's not huge but does the job. The mesh thing prevents it from bouncing around while driving.
tempImagelITk6W.png
Nice configuration. I may need one this size (I have a couple larger ones).

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
The EcoFlow RIVER 2 battery is on sale for $169 on Amazon. That's a cost competitive alternative to upgrading the vehicle's 35 Ah (420 Wh) low voltage battery. REI also sells it for more. Costco sells the brand, but not the specific device.

It's 6.1 lbs lighter than the Goal Zero 300 (13.7 lbs) at 7.6 lbs. Its 256 Wh will probably cover most coolers for a day. You can move it (and the electric cooler) from the frunk to the bed and also charge off solar for extended periods of not activating the truck. You might need a $20 XT60 adapter/extension for solar panels with 8mm connectors. The Ecoflow can fast charge at 360W off AC, but the frunk will only provide 175W(?) when closed which might be an issue.

Tying the electric cooler to the vehicle's 12V battery directly is the cheapest (needs $10 ring terminals/cable/fuse). The Lightning's on-board DC/DC converter outputs up to 15.6V when charging the low voltage battery; that could be an issue for some electric coolers. With that cheapest option, you don't get solar charging flexibility if you're camped at one site for a long time. You also lose the bed storage flexibility without another device to provide 12V.

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
The EcoFlow RIVER 2 battery is on sale for $169 on Amazon. That's a cost competitive alternative to upgrading the vehicle's 35 Ah (420 Wh) low voltage battery. REI also sells it for more. Costco sells the brand, but not the specific device.

It's 6.1 lbs lighter than the Goal Zero 300 (13.7 lbs) at 7.6 lbs. Its 256 Wh will probably cover most coolers for a day. You can move it (and the electric cooler) from the frunk to the bed and also charge off solar for extended periods of not activating the truck. You might need a $20 XT60 adapter/extension for solar panels with 8mm connectors. The Ecoflow can fast charge at 360W off AC, but the frunk will only provide 175W(?) when closed which might be an issue.

Tying the electric cooler to the vehicle's 12V battery directly is the cheapest (needs $10 ring terminals/cable/fuse). The Lightning's on-board DC/DC converter outputs up to 15.6V when charging the low voltage battery; that could be an issue for some electric coolers. With that cheapest option, you don't get solar charging flexibility if you're camped at one site for a long time. You also lose the bed storage flexibility without another device to provide 12V.
I actually use the River mini and it does the job (got the mini so I could take it backpacking, saved a little weight). The River 2 is great choice.

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
The Ecoflow River 2 fast charges a hair too fast for the Lightning Frunk. The Lightning says the Frunk/Cabin draws 380W with the River2 AC charging. When you close the frunk, you get the message "The item plugged into the frunk needed more than the 400W that the closed frunk provides at the outlet" and shuts off the frunk outlets. It seems like Ford engineers mistakenly added margin to the software fuse... frustrating.

While otherwise a helpful feature for the River 2, you don't need fast charging to power an electric cooler. You can also charge the River 2 off USB-C. The lightning frunk provides a mighty 10W on USB-C. That's close to average electric cooler draw so you can get by Ford's software fuse margin trunk quirk.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I just ordered a EUHOMY 12 Volt Refrigerator, 35Liter(38qt) Car Refrigerator https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08N63CSH5/ for the Frunk at $189 after the $20 coupon. I also ordered a net to keep it from moving around. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BX97BW4N/

My plan it to use one as a freezer and the other as a refrigerator when traveling between houses or going to the market.

The bigger 59 qt fits perfectly in the truck bed under the tonneau cover. It also cools down very quickly.

Sponsored

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
In cab message: "The item plugged into the frunk needed more than the 400W that the closed frunk provides at the outlet."
FordPass message: "The item plugged into the front trunk needed more than the 175W that the closed front trunk provides at the outlet."

At least Ford is consistent.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
FordPass message: "The item plugged into the front trunk needed more than the 175W that the closed front trunk provides at the outlet."

At least Ford is consistent.
I haven’t received my smaller EUHOMY 35 Liter cooler yet to try it in the Frunk. The Amazon listing states 45 watts “average” what ever that means. I’ll report back once I get it and try it.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
didn't read through this whole thread but did a quick google and found portable chest refridgerator at lowes.com. amazon probably has it too. looks ideal for our Frunk. (IF it holds enough beer for you!)

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Blissfully Retired

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I haven’t received my smaller EUHOMY 35 Liter cooler yet to try it in the Frunk. The Amazon listing states 45 watts “average” what ever that means. I’ll report back once I get it and try it.
UPDATE. Received the powered cooler and it fits perfectly. It runs fine with frunk closed and doesn’t message that it exceeds wattage when frunk is closed.

im very happy with purchase. Cost $189 plus tax from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08N63CSH5/

Ford F-150 Lightning Chest fridge for frunk IMG_0069
Sponsored