• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cybertruck Prices and Trim

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
disappointing. seems like cybertruck includes a whole bunch of stuff no-one asked for and left out the one thing EV truck owners wanted. range.
Sponsored

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2015 FIAT 500e
Was that a rubber baseball??

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
No offense intended, but I've seen a few pictures of F150 that are crash damaged, and as fixable as they might appear to be, it's amazing how many are deemed totalled instead.

So totaled is totaled for a CT or an F150.

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
>$20K and >$30K price hikes (sounds familiar) and I expect they'll get similar results with 10-20% conversion rate on reservations. I imagine it'll be on the low side of that because so many people have more than one CT reservation. I bet they'll be through reservations in ~1 year.

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Makes me think the $39,990 base price in 2019 is what caused ford to announce the same price, which allowed me to get my PRO at a great price($46,972). So basically Tesla screwed ford with their original pricing. But helped some of us get a great truck....thanx Elon!
Yes! We were so lucky to pick one up at original MSRP. Loving it!

Sponsored

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
The interesting thing about the new 800V architecture is Tesla still capped the max charge speed or the Cybertruck at 250kw which is a bit puzzling. Pretty much any Tesla long range product can hit 250kw peak on the current 400V designs so theres not any user experience improvement that I can see.

Granted the Cybertruck will probably be able to sustain 250kw for longer due to the larger pack, but there’s probably only a few minute difference in charging time between a Cybertruck peaking at 250kw and a Lightning holding a steady 180kw charge rate at a healthy DCFC.

800V is supposed to unlock 300+ kW charging speeds by doubling the output for the same amount of amps, so hopefully the next gen Lightning can take full advantage of 800V in the future.

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
The Range Extender is a significant new concept: a 30-40kWh removable battery pack that rides in the bed. Certainly could be duplicated in a Lightning! Cost unknown, but a 14kWh Tesla Powerwall costs about $13k, and weighs 250lbs…. so, Cybertruck Range Extender is likely $25k+, and 500lbs+. Still, a clever way to meet/exceed Silverado EV range, as an optional upgrade, rather than building an enormous battery pack into every truck.
Ford patented this a few years ago.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34277725/ford-f-150-range-extender-ev-pickup-patent/#

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Rodeo clown
That is a lot of Weight behind the axle. Not a good idea.
Again, I'm not an engineer, so what do you think the pack weighs? Can't be much more than, say, the 400 lbs our Lightning's frunk (also outboard of the axle) is rated for... I agree that a lower polar moment of inertia is always preferred, but in terms of packaging and utility that 1/3 of the bed might come in handier than a subtrunk. Now I wonder what the subtrunk capacity is, weightwise... if you are running 800 or 1000 lbs or more of tongue weight, that's all behind the axle as well... not being argumentative, just thinking out loud (and I'd never buy one of these regardless of where the spare pack fits).

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL

intensifi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Again, I'm not an engineer, so what do you think the pack weighs? Can't be much more than, say, the 400 lbs our Lightning's frunk (also outboard of the axle) is rated for... I agree that a lower polar moment of inertia is always preferred, but in terms of packaging and utility that 1/3 of the bed might come in handier than a subtrunk. Now I wonder what the subtrunk capacity is, weightwise... if you are running 800 or 1000 lbs or more of tongue weight, that's all behind the axle as well... not being argumentative, just thinking out loud (and I'd never buy one of these regardless of where the spare pack fits).
Fun times! Dusting off my mechanical engineering, statics and dynamics!

The tongue weight of the trailer JDM (just doesn’t matter) because the trailer has wheels supporting it which minimizes the Fulcrum “moment” of the tongue if memory serves.

The issue is mass behind the rear axle - with no trailer - as the car is normally moving forward.

The weight in the frunk is not much of an issue given the normal forward movement. It would be an issue if you were backing up a (very) steep hill though.

I am always amused when we go to downhill biking events and see Lexus RXs, etc. pulling a wheelie as they have a heavy bike hitch with 4 heavy bikes on an incline with just a driver!

I have much college football to watch this weekend. When I recover on Sunday I will find my textbooks and review the fulcrum math. It’s going to be a function of mass forward of the pivot axle, mass behind the pivot axle, the angle of the hill and extra mass in the storage compartment. Guessing it would need to be around 370 kg in the storage compartment before an incident would occur at slow speeds on a steep (but still legal) roadbed. At higher speeds the “badness“ mass would drop given potential roadbed perturbations and front end “bounce”.

BTW You have the best color Lightning!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
Still can’t sharpen razor blades!

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
I think the all wheel drive model is at least competitive with a Lariat ER, not my thing, but I can see the value there. Until the Flash trim is released in 2024 that is.

I can't understand the appeal of the RWD cybertruck model at $60K. That's a base all wheel drive XLT. And with the XLT you get better 0-60, ever-so slightly worse range, and likely better towing/hauling capacity.
I mean this is Tesla we're talking about, if they're saying 2025 availability, it's vaporware as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't exist until we can actually see it.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The interesting thing about the new 800V architecture is Tesla still capped the max charge speed or the Cybertruck at 250kw which is a bit puzzling. Pretty much any Tesla long range product can hit 250kw peak on the current 400V designs so theres not any user experience improvement that I can see.

Granted the Cybertruck will probably be able to sustain 250kw for longer due to the larger pack, but there’s probably only a few minute difference in charging time between a Cybertruck peaking at 250kw and a Lightning holding a steady 180kw charge rate at a healthy DCFC.

800V is supposed to unlock 300+ kW charging speeds by doubling the output for the same amount of amps, so hopefully the next gen Lightning can take full advantage of 800V in the future.
Lightning’s current designed pack voltage is low-mid 300s, and EA 350kW Hyperfast is limited to 500A (330v x 500A is only 165kW)…. if Ford could change the battery pack design to something nominally closer to 400v, or use the GM approach of reconnecting battery pack modules in series-for-charging (to raise pack voltage for charging) and parallel-for-driving, it would make a dramatic improvement in charge rates, without having to touch 800v architecture.

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP

I personally don’t care about peak speeds. I want to gain the most kWh DCFC in 45 mins or less. A low SOC, a warm battery, good battery management software, and a properly functioning DCFC are the necessary components to a great charging session. My Ioniq 5 would DCFC 10-90% in the same time whether on a 350kW or 150kW charger. Thermal throttling at 80% on the 350kW charger was the reason. The 800V advantage mostly applies under 80% SOC. I do think Hyundai/Kia 800V system is brilliantly engineered and it would be my choice over a 400V BEV.

With my current TMY LR, I start out a road trip with a warm battery at 100% SOC and target charging every 200 miles. I don’t need to waste energy preconditioning this way. I keep speeds below 70 and limit use of heat. Charging sessions are usually 30-40 mins depending upon ideal conditions being met..
Sponsored