• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dangerous B&O sound system issue

B&O sound system issues?

• Total voters

SteelTerp87

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 Lariat 2.7L (Platinum Lightning on Order
Occupation
Self-Employed
Thanks @TaxmanHog for tagging me. I have 3,600 mi on my truck and haven’t had this issue yet. Now I’m just hoping it doesn’t happen when I have the kids in there. If it happens at all.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I hope this is an isolated problem.

Vojtek71

First Name
Vojtek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F150 Lariat
Thanks for the heads up @TaxmanHog. I haven't had any issues yet, but definitely concerning. Not really sure what to do.

Sponsored

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Last edited:

Tenetke

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Platinum, ‘21 Aviator, ‘23 Bronco WT
Occupation
dad
I hope this is an isolated problem.
Thanks for the tag. I’m up to over 12k miles and no issues like that. Hopefully it stays that way. I wonder if trying to restart the audio or screen with pushing the two outer buttons on the steering wheel does anything (track forward and volume down I think) I had to do that once since my screen stayed black and didn’t turn on one morning.

idahospud

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lighting, Indian Roadmaster
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate
Thanks for the tag. No issues for me so far but the advanced notice is appreciated!!!

Tomwilli2025

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Sales
Happened to AutoVlog and myself. Turn out to be a bad battery, which is super strange. This was on my 2021 F150 Lariat. Dealer replace the battery and never happened again.

Sponsored

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Happened to AutoVlog and myself. Turn out to be a bad battery, which is super strange. This was on my 2021 F150 Lariat. Dealer replace the battery and never happened again.

That is a completely different issue

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
My truck is a 2022 Lightning Lariat ER.
Is this the first (and only) Lariat to experience this?

Do you have an upgraded stereo to where you have B&O Unleashed in your Lariat (is that even possible)?

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
Thank you to those that posted about this issue. I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you.

I have wanted a Lightning for a long time now, but this issue alone is enough to turn me away. Hearing loss is incredibly serious, and the thought of exposing myself and my family to noise well in excess of 100 dB is completely unacceptable.

I wish you all good luck and sincerely hope that they proactively address this issue and respond with a full and complete explanation of the cause and resolution.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
This reminds me of the sound of the Red October caterpillar drive....

In the attached recording of the actual noise inside the cab of my truck, I hear an underlying regular, rapid pulse of sound (like machine gun fire) below the wide band of static. Through trial and error, I estimate this pulse at about 1000 beats per minute / 17 beats per second. Reference the following 1000 BPM metronome link ...

This likely provides a strong clue to Ford as to what is driving the amp and causing the extreme noise.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you to everyone who has posted their story. I am so sorry you all have experienced this. I’ve never heard of anything like it, and it sounds to me like Ford deserves a lawsuit for everyone affected. Especially, those who have experienced hearing loss. This is truly an awful situation.

I sincerely appreciate everyone sharing their story because I have a 2.5 year old, and a 7 month old. There’s no way I will take any chances with their permanent hearing. I will continue to monitor this thread closely, and if Ford doesn’t resolve the issue (seems unlikely that they will at this point), then I will decline delivery when my Lightning arrives in the Spring. This would be a gut punch after nearly two years of waiting, but I’m not taking this risk with my family’s health. I am angry just reading these stories. I can only imagine how those personally affected feel.
What is especially angering to me is that Ford has not provided any information or technical guidance to me after my exposure to the extreme noise and the resulting hearing loss. I am a career Engineer. There has got to be some action which could reduce the risk of an occurrence, such as possibly removing the fuse for the amp. But no such guidance has been offered by Ford or the dealership. In private messages on this forum and the Gen14 forum from Ford representatives to me, they both titled the topic of our private thread as "Sound System Concern". It seems Ford is intentionally trying to downplay the issue as a "concern" versus a real event and factory defect. The Service Manager at my dealership actually stated in writing in an email that he was not sure why I would be using my new 2022 Ford Lightning Platinum given the effect on my hearing, and that he wanted to express and note his concern for my well being. However, he did not offer to provide me with an in-kind Lightning loaner or new replacement Lightning. Ford and the dealership have limited their response to me to expressing their "concern".
Sponsored