• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dangerous B&O sound system issue

B&O sound system issues?

• Total voters

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0 Lariat SCREW Space White

Thank you. I missed that.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Brad-C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
This happened to me a few days ago on the way to work. Terrified me and was extremely loud. Had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop. Hate this for everyone, but glad to know it's not just me. It hasn't happened again, but dang was it loud and hard to drive with it happening. @Ford Motor Company , any ideas? 2022 F150 Platinum.
Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you had the issue too.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0 Lariat SCREW Space White
Here is the doc I found showing the fuse box diagram. I wrapped a small zip tie around the fuse puller tool to keep it secured to the amp fuse.

Thanks.
Yeah, as soon as you replied I opened the Fuse section from the .pdf manual and printed it (pages 490-498 I believe, or 499) and it will be placed in the glove box for ease access :D

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
I posted the following on the Gen14 forum today. There are probably 50 people reporting the issue over there. It appears the issue is related to the Unleashed B&O sound systems on several F-150 models. I have filed a NHTSA Complaint due the safety hazard of the unexpected, sudden, extreme nature of the noise. I estimate the sound level is well over 100 dB.

Gen14 Post: I just had the same issue with a 2022 Lightning Platinum at 800 miles. Luckily, I was stopped at a red light when the pop and deafening noise "exploded" in the cabin. I already had hearing loss, and I am sure it just got worse. I turned the vehicle off, got out, locked the door, and the noise still continued for several seconds. After the noise stopped, I got back in and restarted, and the noise returned. I had to drive my truck for at least 20 minutes to get home with the deafening noise continuing for the entire trip. An hour later my ears are ringing and I have a terrible headache. After about 10 minutes, I also smelled the "electrical burn" that Joe H. reported. It was strong enough that I looked around the cabin for smoke, but I did not see any. Something has definitely overheated. I am a retired Licensed Professional Engineer with over 50 years of Engineering and Safety experience. I am reporting this to NHTSA as a safety issue.

I waited about 90 minutes and restarted my truck, and the noise was not present. I have added ear plugs in my truck for the next time it happens.

Sponsored

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Since the extreme noise incident, I have visited an ENT Doctor and Audiologist. They conducted a hearing test and confirmed that I have suffered significant hearing loss since my previous test. I also have had previous minor tinnitus / ringing in the ears massively increase from rarely noticeable to constantly bothersome with an increase in "volume" of about 10X. My ears have not stopped ringing since the incident on October 4. I estimate the noise level was between 120 dB and 140 dB inside the cab of my truck during the uncontrollable noise incident.

If you have experienced this issue, I encourage you to also post your experience in the F150Gen14 forum at the following link since this issue is appearing in F150 models other than the Lightning.
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...lowed-by-loud-static.9591/page-12#post-280872

I also encourage you to file a complaint with NHTSA since Ford does not seem to have placed a high priority on resolving this factory defect and safety issue. One owner has reported that this issue has been occurring intermittently in his 2018 F150 Lariat since it was new. This is the link to file a NHTSA complaint ...
https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

I pose a few questions for us Lightning owners on this forum who have experienced the extreme noise issue:
1. Which trim level did it occur on (Pro, XLT, Lariat or Platinum)?
2. Which audio system is in your Lightning (B&O Unleashed, B&O 10 Speaker, B&O 8 Speaker, something else)?
3. Have you taken your Lightning to a dealer regarding this problem?
4. Has Ford / your dealer done anything to solve this issue in your truck?
5. Have you found anything that stops the noise issue when it occurs? (Some owners have posted that switching the audio system to AM/FM has stopped the noise.)

Following are my answers to the above questions:
1. Platinum
2. B&O Unleashed
3. Yes
4. No. They had my truck for 4 days. It was in the shop for 1/2 of one day, and parked outside for 3-1/2 days. They said they were waiting on a response from a Ford Engineer. Some owners have reported their dealership kept their truck for 2 to 3 weeks and did nothing to solve the issue. I picked up my truck after 4 days, and told the dealer to contact me when they had a response from the Ford Engineer.
5. No. I tried turning the volume down and turning the audio system "off" during the event, but neither action had any effect on the extreme noise. I was connected with Apple CarPlay and using Apple Maps with no other audio when the event occurred. I have disabled Apple CarPlay and I keep the audio system turned "off" at all times when driving my truck. I also have ear plugs on the console, hearing protection ear muff on the back seat, a fuse puller in the glove box, and a sketch of the fuse panel in the glove box. I also warn every passenger who enters my vehicle of the possibility of a sudden, uncontrollable, extreme noise event while they are in my truck. About half of them decline to ride in the truck after the warning.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER

4Reeley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat
Has this been reported in any configuration other than B&O Unleashed (18 speakers)? For the Lightning that system is only available in the Platinum. I've been watching these threads (there are a couple) but its seems like most if not all are related to the Unleashed system and therefore Platinum only.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Has this been reported in any configuration other than B&O Unleashed (18 speakers)? For the Lightning that system is only available in the Platinum. I've been watching these threads (there are a couple) but its seems like most if not all are related to the Unleashed system and therefore Platinum only.
The F150Gen14 forum has multiple reports of this issue in several trim levels of F150 ICE trucks. Many of the owners did not report which audio system they have. I do not recall seeing any reported audio system other than B&O. The longest running issue was reported to be in a 2018 Lariat (obviously ICE) with intermittent occurrences of this issue since it was new.

The purpose of my list of questions was to help determine exactly which trim levels and sound systems are involved in the Lightnings with this issue.

BzzzzztZapPow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Explorer Hybrid, 18 Fusion Hybrid, 22 Lightning
This reminds me of the sound of the Red October caterpillar drive....

Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
I was connected with Apple CarPlay and using Apple Maps with no other audio when the event occurred. I have disabled Apple CarPlay and I keep the audio system turned "off" at all times when driving my truck.
So there's no way to prevent this or as long as the audio system is turned off (how does one do that)?

I have a 4 and 6 year old in the backseat. I wouldn't be able to protect their ears short of getting them ear protection each time they're in the vehicle, which I will do if there's no way to ensure the sound is "off." I don't need to listen to anything in this truck at the possible expense of my children's hearing.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
So there's no way to prevent this or as long as the audio system is turned off (how does one do that)?

I have a 4 and 6 year old in the backseat. I wouldn't be able to protect their ears short of getting them ear protection each time they're in the vehicle, which I will do if there's no way to ensure the sound is "off." I don't need to listen to anything in this truck at the possible expense of my children's hearing.
I don’t know of any way to prevent the issue until Ford identifies the cause and resolves it. It is very disappointing that Ford has provided no information or guidance on this issue.

I turn the audio system off by pressing the center of the volume wheel at the bottom of the touch screen. I don’t know that it will prevent the problem from occurring again. I have my doubts, since the volume knob and off button did not stop the noise while it was occurring. It is just my attempt to do something.

Some owners have reported they removed the fuse to the amp. It is a logical step, but there is no report this prevents the problem. We need guidance from Ford on how to prevent or control the issue.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
I don’t know that it will prevent the problem from occurring again. I have my doubts, since the volume knob and off button did not stop the noise while it was occurring.
I could understand a bug that prevented the sound from being stopped like that once it starts but I'm wondering if there have been reports of people with their system off and it still happening. I'd rather drive in complete silence than risk hearing loss.

Although from the link you posted it seems as though this only affects the Unleashed owners. I have a Lariat so maybe I'm safe.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Thank you to everyone who has posted their story. I am so sorry you all have experienced this. I’ve never heard of anything like it, and it sounds to me like Ford deserves a lawsuit for everyone affected. Especially, those who have experienced hearing loss. This is truly an awful situation.

I sincerely appreciate everyone sharing their story because I have a 2.5 year old, and a 7 month old. There’s no way I will take any chances with their permanent hearing. I will continue to monitor this thread closely, and if Ford doesn’t resolve the issue (seems unlikely that they will at this point), then I will decline delivery when my Lightning arrives in the Spring. This would be a gut punch after nearly two years of waiting, but I’m not taking this risk with my family’s health. I am angry just reading these stories. I can only imagine how those personally affected feel.