• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dealer in non ZEV state with over 700 reservations told me they were allocated 6 trucks in 2022 and were told to expect fewer than 12 for 2023

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
I'm trying to make a decision on whether to wait for the lightning (I reserved within minutes of the reservations going live) so I reached out to the sales manager at my dealership and asked for his best guess on a timeline for me. He said I have a very good chance of getting a 2023 and he told me that dealerships in Utah were only allocated about 1% of their reservations in 2022 and that they were told to expect less than 2% for 2023. Apparently I'm 4th in line now that 8 have been ordered in front of me and a few others transferred or something.

I totally understand why Ford would prioritize ZEV states from a business standpoint, but we Utahns buy a crap ton of pickup trucks and it will be pretty crazy if my dealership can only fulfill 18 orders in the first 18 months when they received more than 700 reservations.

My dealer told me that he also placed a reservation and he is 29th on the list and was told to expect to be bumped to 2024.

Hopefully he is wrong.
Sponsored

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
700 reservations for 1 dealer? That seems crazy high

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
My dealer in CA has that many and had ~60 allocations for MY22.

I totally understand why Ford would prioritize ZEV states from a business standpoint, but we Utahns buy a crap ton of pickup truck
By Volume CA buys the most pickups and the most EVs. Most pickups is just due to population, but I think every metric you can think of for EVs, CA leads.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
My dealer in CA has that many and had ~60 allocations for MY22.

By Volume CA buys the most pickups and the most EVs. Most pickups is just due to population, but I think every metric you can think of for EVs, CA leads.
California leads because manufacturers win by selling there, and consumers get a crap ton of rebates.

My dealer is large and had 7 or 8 for MY22. Non-ZEV state. I have no idea if I'll get a chance to order a 2023 or not, but I don't really care either. Like the Mach-E, and have a F-150 ICE that we basically rarely drive. We don't need two expensive vehicles.

OP
OP

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
There are two dealers that dominate the market in Utah and this is with one of them. When I reserved I had no idea about how allocations work or how ZEV states would get priority, otherwise I might have approached it differently.

Utah is above average in terms of how many pickup trucks are on the road, and according to a few sources Utah has 1.7% of the electric cars in the US but only 0.9% of the population. So even though Utah isn't a major player in gross volume, per capita is pretty high.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
There are two dealers that dominate the market in Utah and this is with one of them. When I reserved I had no idea about how allocations work or how ZEV states would get priority, otherwise I might have approached it differently.

Utah is above average in terms of how many pickup trucks are on the road, and according to a few sources Utah has 1.7% of the electric cars in the US but only 0.9% of the population. So even though Utah isn't a major player in gross volume, per capita is pretty high.
I'd say you should keep the reservation.
My guess is that you will receive an invite based on the volume that Ford intends to do for MY'23.

Remember, many people who reserved in 2021 may not want to convert to an order due to many changes since then - most likely due to inability to wait and bought a different vehicle.

Looking at Mustang Mach E and Bronco reservations into to orders were less than 50% converted.

As for Utah folks I agree, my coworker who recently retired from CA and moved to Southern UT said pickup trucks were a premium and scarce in UT when he shopped. He travelled back to California and bought himself an F250 because of the incentives & below MSRP pricing.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
My dealer sells a lot of trucks. They only got 2 for 2022.

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
im 14th at my dealer in nebraska and they got 6 to order in 22, if i cant take delivery by may of next year i will be looking into other options, my fusion has 180k and at 25k a year im not sure she will make it another full year.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I think there will be a significantly lower percentage of reservation to retail order conversions going forward past the first few waves of 2023 orders. Fleet and commercial demand and supply chain issues are also important considerations.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
I'm in a similar situation except in MA, not Utah. If the dealer I reserved at gets twice as many for 2023 as 2022, I'm not going to make it.

I've considered moving my reservation to another dealer, but the process of figuring out which one would get me a truck without ADM for 2023 is more work than I've been willing to do so far.

The question I really want to know the answer to is this: If a high allocation dealer runs out of reservations are they going to get dealer stock units before lower volume dealers fill all their reservations?

Sponsored

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
I'm in a similar situation except in MA, not Utah. If the dealer I reserved at gets twice as many for 2023 as 2022, I'm not going to make it.

I've considered moving my reservation to another dealer, but the process of figuring out which one would get me a truck without ADM for 2023 is more work than I've been willing to do so far.

The question I really want to know the answer to is this: If a high allocation dealer runs out of reservations are they going to get dealer stock units before lower volume dealers fill all their reservations?
Can you imagine the pr nightmare. Would turn so many people away from Ford. I believe Farley is trying to do things right but decades of dealership catering and the all mighty shareholder are making things difficult.

DakAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR3, LR4, 911
I'm trying to make a decision on whether to wait for the lightning (I reserved within minutes of the reservations going live) so I reached out to the sales manager at my dealership and asked for his best guess on a timeline for me. He said I have a very good chance of getting a 2023 and he told me that dealerships in Utah were only allocated about 1% of their reservations in 2022 and that they were told to expect less than 2% for 2023. Apparently I'm 4th in line now that 8 have been ordered in front of me and a few others transferred or something.

I totally understand why Ford would prioritize ZEV states from a business standpoint, but we Utahns buy a crap ton of pickup trucks and it will be pretty crazy if my dealership can only fulfill 18 orders in the first 18 months when they received more than 700 reservations.

My dealer told me that he also placed a reservation and he is 29th on the list and was told to expect to be bumped to 2024.

Hopefully he is wrong.

Hey JB, it sounds like we're both reserved at the same dealer. Who have you been talking to that gave you this info? I had previously been talked with David but haven't heard anything from my last couple emails. Back in January he had told me I was #6 on the list, so surprised to hear that you're being told 8 have ordered. Thanks!

OP
OP

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
Hey JB, it sounds like we're both reserved at the same dealer. Who have you been talking to that gave you this info? I had previously been talked with David but haven't heard anything from my last couple emails. Back in January he had told me I was #6 on the list, so surprised to hear that you're being told 8 have ordered. Thanks!
Ken Garff in American Fork. I know the West Valley dealership has a similar situation.

Or are you at LHM?

DakAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR3, LR4, 911
Ken Garff in American Fork. I know the West Valley dealership has a similar situation.

Or are you at LHM?
I'm at LHM. They also said ~700 reservations so thought we were in the same boat.

OP
OP

jb56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150 Lariat
I'm at LHM. They also said ~700 reservations so thought we were in the same boat.
It's hard to know if they are giving estimates or hard numbers.
I know back during the 2022 ordering timeline, I was pressing them hard and at the time they said I was 14th out of 735 reservations at that point. But I don't know if they are just ballparking when they talk about how many orders so far this year.
Sponsored