• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dealer Pricing

DBN66

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 and Ford Explorer
Occupation
Broker
I test drove a Lightning for the second time, XLT XR, 312A and Max TT package. He’s at $72,650 including sales tax after subtracting the tax credit. I offered $70k cash out the door. He told me that Ford insists that there can be no negotiation on EV’s, so his hands are tied. I’m struggling with this because I’ve seen posts suggesting dealers can do what they want. I would appreciate advice.
Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Ford never said dealers could only charge MSRP. They have only said the dealer needs to pick a price and honor it. Transparent pricing. There are lots of quotes from Farley out there you can find that say that.

This is either a negotiating tactic or stupidity. Hard to fix the second one. Hopefully it’s just a tactic and you can win that one. Good luck.

P.S. They may also give a sob story that they make no money on EVs since invoice=msrp. Also a tactic or stupidity.

Silenze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The dealer could not advertise a lower price then MSRP. The dealer can sell the vehicle for any price they want. They used to make about 10% profit on the lightning. They recently changed it back similar to the ice vehicle with a set amount of dealer holdback.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
I test drove a Lightning for the second time, XLT XR, 312A and Max TT package. He’s at $72,650 including sales tax after subtracting the tax credit. I offered $70k cash out the door. He told me that Ford insists that there can be no negotiation on EV’s, so his hands are tied. I’m struggling with this because I’ve seen posts suggesting dealers can do what they want. I would appreciate advice.
The dealer can sell it for whatever price they want, but they will need to backhaul the difference in “dealer cash”. So the dealer is using marketing budget, reducing profit, or has other incentives available.

Sponsored

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
I agree with what others are saying about the dealer having the flexibility on the price. What size is the dealer and how many Lightnings do they have in stock? Depending on those answers, I'd wait him out or go to another nearby Ford dealer and see what they can offer for a similar model. Pit the two against each other to get the best deal.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Was this interaction at the deal? I don't consider myself the most shrewd negotiator but I've had good luck literally walking out the door.

One time I got a better deal by circumstance. I agreed to a price but told them I'd be back after the weekend with financing because my financing deal was better than theirs. As I was walking out the manager intercepted me and offered to cover the difference in total financing cost if I used their lender. I ended up paying the loan off a few months later so it was a good deal for me. They probably got paid too. Win, win?🤷

I guess if you walk out you have to be willing to follow through. Just an option...

Frankhpns

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired military
Ford never said dealers could only charge MSRP. They have only said the dealer needs to pick a price and honor it. Transparent pricing. There are lots of quotes from Farley out there you can find that say that.

This is either a negotiating tactic or stupidity. Hard to fix the second one. Hopefully it’s just a tactic and you can win that one. Good luck.

P.S. They may also give a sob story that they make no money on EVs since invoice=msrp. Also a tactic or stupidity.
I would run from that dealer as fast as you can. He is lying to you. Ford does not fix pricing at a retail level ever. Look at Edmund, kbb, guru to get a better idea of what is availible and at what price. When I bought our XLT Lighting there was almost 20K difference between 4 dealers. I drove 189 miles to pick it up. Local dealer will service it assuming they are Lightning certified.

timbal1963

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many
Occupation
Husband, Father, Son and Grandfather
Platinum models are being valued for trade in at $58k to $62k with less than 8k miles on them. I think they can sell it for less.

Schroederhc1

First Name
Cordell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER, 1990 911 Targa
Occupation
Self Employed
My experience, I wanted a 2023 Lariat with ER, but they didn't have one on the lot they had a Platinum for 93 and one xlt er for 76 it was Jan 31 I told the sales guy I would take the xlt for 70 and left. About 5 min later they called and countered at 74 I said 71. We closed. I think it was because it was the last day of the month and they were not moving EVs. Within reason they can negotiate.
Sponsored