• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

V8BoatBuilder

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
The only way I can see that EA can afford to make this work, is that folks in HYDRO GEN states like the PNW and elsewhere are subsidizing the rest of us $$/MIN states
EA’s own messaging on their website is saying how per kWh pricing is the “new” model. Seems fair as there are so many real factors that go into charge speed.

Can anyone link to an article on WHY some states are prices per minute?
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
EA’s own messaging on their website is saying how per kWh pricing is the “new” model. Seems fair as there are so many real factors that go into charge speed.

Can anyone link to an article on WHY some states are prices per minute?
See post #18.

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/111

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...to-charge-by-kwh-not-minute-in-select-states/

"While Electrify America said that it would have been happy to roll out the change from per-minute to per-kWh charging nationwide, there are a variety of laws that keep that from happening, and the company said it's trying to figure out how to make that switch while staying in compliance. "

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/advice/electrify-america-charging-network

"While Electrify America aims to offer pricing on a per-kWh basis in many states, some state regulatory agencies require it to set the pricing on a per-minute basis. In short, you can either be charged based on how much energy your EV receives or the length of the charging session. Each U.S. state sets its own policies. "

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
this thread was on EA pricing and look where the conversation has gone!
But the pricing criticism is related to EA being a "quasi-monopolistic" government creation throwing EVs down our throat to spuriously save the planet from that government hoax called global warming, which will turn out to be just as fake as the coronavirus pandemic. [tongue firmly in cheek]. Part of the discussion on pricing has to relate to whether "natural" monopolies and associated bloated bureaucracy when competition is removed, are worth it or not. A classic example would be the original AT&T, which was forced into divestiture for the advantages of competition. Now we're back to just a handful of providers in the U.S., anyway. Whereas in a lot of other places in the world, cellular is a government-run or -allowed monopoly and a lot farther ahead than the U.S. (look at what you get in South Korea, for example). So, it's pretty hard to discuss pricing without involving political structure and whether any of it's going to serve any worthwhile purpose in the end.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Honestly - not really unexpected and not a horrible increase. Still way cheaper than EVgo. The only ones of those that I have had to use (no other option) were $0.59/kWh.
Where was that..PA?

In Albany, EvGo is $0.32/min, in Virginia they were $0.28/min (with $1/mth basic "plan")

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Where was that..PA?

In Albany, EvGo is $0.32/min, in Virginia they were $0.28/min (with $1/mth basic "plan")
One was just outside of Philly. The other I have to hit every time I go to Pittsburgh. It is at a Target there.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
One was just outside of Philly. The other I have to hit every time I go to Pittsburgh. It is at a Target there.
Thats odd, as around here evGo is per min and cheaper than EA. IN PA, EA is per minute and cheaper than EVGo.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Thats odd, as around here evGo is per min and cheaper than EA. IN PA, EA is per minute and cheaper than EVGo.
I wouldn't mind as much if they worked right - especially the one in Pittsburgh. The single 350kW station there has been down for about a year. The other 2 stations are 100kW but never give more than 40kW to 60kW.

I haven't found a hotel in the area that offers L2 charging, so when I hit down I have to charge up for my visit at this station and it takes an hour plus to get enough juice since it is so slow. At a time when I just want to get to my hotel!

jd350b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F350 Lariat 6.7L, 2018 Ford Edge Platinum
Lightning cost goes up ~40% in it's second year, California asking residents not to charge at certain times and the charge stations are starting the expected price increases. My anti EV friends are smiling with the "told you? grin.

regentscholar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S '12, Model 3 '17, Ford '23 F-150 Pro
Somewhat tangential, to this thread, but did any Lightning Pro trim owners get the 250kWh in free EA charging network usage... or just the higher trims? I heard something about the fleet Lightning Pros didn't get the free EA charging, but that perhaps individual buyers did... anyone vouch for that?

Sponsored

regentscholar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S '12, Model 3 '17, Ford '23 F-150 Pro
Somewhat tangential, to this thread, but did any Lightning Pro trim owners get the 250kWh in free EA charging network usage... or just the higher trims? I heard something about the fleet Lightning Pros didn't get the free EA charging, but that perhaps individual buyers did... anyone vouch for that?
Just confirming here that my 2023 Pro model came with 250kWh of free EA DCFC charging, just like the higher Lightning trims.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Honestly - not really unexpected and not a horrible increase. Still way cheaper than EVgo. The only ones of those that I have had to use (no other option) were $0.59/kWh.
Interesting, here in MI it's the opposite.

We have two EA chargers in my area (just north of Detroit so not the boonies) and the closest one is 16 miles away.
EVGo is all over the place and their rates are generally more favorable unless you go at peak hours. Plenty of other options (including free) so I don't see that many people around here using EA unless they absolutely have to.
Sponsored