• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

EVSE / Charger Installation Cost Sanity Check

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyotas + incoming F150 Lightning
I realize every region and setup is different, but I am hoping someone with more experience can let me know if an estimate I received from a reputable electrician is within the realm of rationality.

I asked for an estimate to install BOTH a 14-50 outlet on the outside of my house and the Ford Charge Station Pro inside my garage. The estimate came it at $2,115.00 for the materials and $1,455.00 for labor for a total of $3570.00.

I inquired about the labor and he said it would take 2 guys a full day (at $84 per hour each) to do the installation.

I don't think my setup is that weird. I have 200 Amp service with a subpanel that can be powered by a generator. To make space in the main panel they were going to move 2 additional household circuits to the subpanel and then do the install. I assume most of the material just is just wire.

Is it reasonable for an install to take that long, 17 man hours? Does wire really cost that much these days?

Thanks in advance for any help. I am happy to pay fair going rates but I these prices shocked me.
Sponsored

Halbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Engineer
Unless you have some really weird way you have to run the wire or mount the boxes, it seems a little excessive. Did you get a few quotes or just one?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
If the 14-50 and your FCSP will be in the same general location, he is likely quoting you a 150A feeder and subpanel from which both circuits will be run. The only way to know if the price is fair is to get multiple quotes.

The only thing that seems a bit odd is that both guys are billed at the same rate. On a job like this, I’d expect one journeyman and an apprentice or helper. You don’t need two journeyman electricians.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
My situation was similar, sans the install of a 14-50 outlet In western Oregon.

Existing 200A/240V main panel with two blanks connected to a manual interlocked critical loads generator panel. New 100A/240 breaker connected to 26’ linear ft. of #3 Copper in above-ceiling/in-wall flex conduit to the unistrut surface-mounted FCSP on my garage interior. $1,800 total for all materials and a Journeyman and an Apprentice for six hours.

It could be regional differences, but IMHO, your bid seems high unless there is additional needed equipment or configuration in that bid……🤔

OP
OP

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyotas + incoming F150 Lightning
Unless you have some really weird way you have to run the wire or mount the boxes, it seems a little excessive. Did you get a few quotes or just one?
That was my first and only quote so far. But I am trying to get few more now. I am just anxious to get it installed.

Sponsored

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
My situation was similar, sans the install of a 14-50 outlet In western Oregon.

Existing 200A/240V main panel with two blanks connected to a manual interlocked critical loads generator panel. New 100A/240 breaker connected to 26’ linear ft. of #3 Copper in above-ceiling/in-wall flex conduit to the unistrut surface-mounted FCSP on my garage interior. $1,800 total for all materials and a Journeyman and an Apprentice for six hours.

It could be regional differences, but IMHO, your bid seems high unless there is additional needed equipment or configuration in that bid……🤔
We have a ranch with the main panel on one side of the house and the garage/charging unit on the other side. I have about and 80 foot run from the main panel to the subpanel (no room in my main panel for a 100A breaker) and about another 70 ft from the subpanel where the charger will be mounted.

Because of the lengths of the runs, my electrician/friend recommends #2 copper. Can you or someone else confirm if this is the correct wire?
Looking around, it seems to be around $15/ft, and at 150 feet, I will be in for $2250 on wire alone.

https://www.warshauer.com/buy/produ...e-Entrance-Cable/Copper-SE-Cable-SER/dept-8F1

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
We have a ranch with the main panel on one side of the house and the garage/charging unit on the other side. I have about and 80 foot run from the main panel to the subpanel (no room in my main panel for a 100A breaker) and about another 70 ft from the subpanel where the charger will be mounted.

Because of the lengths of the runs, my electrician/friend recommends #2 copper. Can you or someone else confirm if this is the correct wire?
Looking around, it seems to be around $15/ft, and at 150 feet, I will be in for $2250 on wire alone.

https://www.warshauer.com/buy/produ...e-Entrance-Cable/Copper-SE-Cable-SER/dept-8F1
You linked to #2/0 wire, not #2. 2/0 is three sizes bigger and way more expensive.

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
For my situation, I needed to have my electrician install a new meter to pull power directly from the street lines. Since I’m already on a solar co-gen plan with my existing house meter, I needed to install another meter for the super cheap EV TOU plan. And while I already have 400A service into my house, I didn’t want to touch any of that and wanted 120A just for putting in chargers into the garage (2x60A breakers, to allow me to install one charger now and future proof for another charger later, and to cover the worst case scenario of having to fully charge multiple low SoC vehicles at the same time).

The cost included the installation of a new panel next to the main outside panel, tying into that panel to pull power from the street side, wiring into a sub-panel in the garage and then hard wiring into the charger to give 48A charging (and making it easy to add another hard-wired charger later).

Total cost for all of that was $3200. And my electrician isn’t the cheapest, but his team is excellent and worth the price. It’s all future proofed, not stealing anything from my existing house service panel, and gives an all-around clean install. And it’s tax deductible!

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I don't believe it's tax deductible.

30% of the cost, up to $1,000, gets you a tax credit.
Sponsored