• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Journalist
Hi everyone. I just published the Intelligent Backup Power video that I promised.

I'll be checking for additional questions left in the comment section, and I'll try to get the answers from Ford.
Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Thanks for the video Tom.

What you are saying about use with Tesla and for that matter the CCS end is in direct conflict with the data at https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ning/pdf/FordChargeStationPro-Specs_06_v2.pdf.

I suspect the required "Home Integration Kit" will be if not include a different cable to install on the charge station pro, making the Home Intelligent Back-up feature the only thing that will prevent compatibility with Tesla AND Leafs with no CCS.

OP
OP
tommolog

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Journalist
Thanks for the video Tom.

What you are saying about use with Tesla and for that matter the CCS end is in direct conflict with the data at https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ning/pdf/FordChargeStationPro-Specs_06_v2.pdf.

I suspect the required "Home Integration Kit" will be if not include a different cable to install on the charge station pro, making the Home Intelligent Back-up feature the only thing that will prevent compatibility with Tesla AND Leafs with no CCS.
Thanks, I'll get clarity on this by Monday. I actually didn't ask Ryan that specific question, because I haven't seen a CCS adapter yet that can accept the J1772 to Tesla Adapter. I held the CSvPro CCS connector in my hand a few months back and it didn't look like the Tesla adapter would attach, but I guess I could be wrong.

Last edited:

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Thanks Tom.

An different topic, but when talking with ford at some time, can you see if the max tow package offers any benefits outside of towing. Supposedly it's more cooling: could that help in other situations like hotter climates, charging, etc....

OP
OP
tommolog

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Journalist
Thanks Tom.

An different topic, but when talking with ford at some time, can you see if the max tow package offers any benefits outside of towing. Supposedly it's more cooling: could that help in other situations like hotter climates, charging, etc....
I've already asked! Waiting for a response.

Sponsored

rtw819

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150L Lariat ER, '23 MME Sel AWD, '19 Niro EV
Hi everyone. I just published the Intelligent Backup Power video that I promised.

Ford Intelligent Backup Power: 15 Questions answered by Ford

I'll be checking for additional questions left in the comment section, and I'll try to get the answers from Ford.
Hi Tom! As usual, great video! I dropped some additional questions about Sunrun and their Home Integration System in the comments. Hopefully we can eventually get some more details on the integration kit and whether or not it will be compatible with any existing home solar installations.

We all appreciate your efforts to get more information out of Ford on the truck and the available features! Keep up the great work! :)

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Thanks, I'll get clarity on this by Monday. I actually didn't ask Ryan that specific question, because I haven't seen a CCS adapter yet that can accept the J1772 to Tesla Adapter. I held the CSvPro CCS connector in my hand a few months back and it didn't look like the Tesla adapter would attach, but I guess I could be wrong.
Thanks. Apart from physical adapter compatibility, would you say it is not accurate to call a CCS connector an SAE J1772 connector?

OP
OP
tommolog

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Journalist
Thanks. Apart from physical adapter compatibility, would you say it is not accurate to call a CCS connector an SAE J1772 connector?
The proper name is a CCS connector (Combined Charging System). They call it that because it combines a J1772 connector with the two DC charge pins.

So I wouldn't call it a J1772 connector. It's a CCS connector, which has a J1772 connector integrated into it.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
The proper name is a CCS connector (Combined Charging System). They call it that because it combines a J1772 connector with the two DC charge pins.

So I wouldn't call it a J1772 connector. It's a CCS connector, which has a J1772 connector integrated into it.
I understand the combination but don't understand why the spec sheet is saying the Charge Station Pro has a SAE J1772 connector. Maybe you are tracking with that part of the question and will ask why Ford is putting out conflicting data.

If you haven't seen, there is also some language from Ford saying the upgrade to 9.6kW Pro Power Onboard from standard 2.4kW is required to make the Intelligent Home Backup system available to SR packages that don't have that upgrade included by default. If the system outputs to home through DC pins, why would this upgrade be necessary electrically?

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
it is probably due to the lack of 240v connectivity without it, since the base unit only provides 120v outlets, otherwise - 'whole house' home backup to tie into a power panel would be 240v.

Sponsored

rtw819

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150L Lariat ER, '23 MME Sel AWD, '19 Niro EV
RE: SAE J1772 & CCS

I tend to think perhaps Ford may still be figuring out their connector standards/definitions somewhat. Why do I think this? In the leaked 146-page eSourcebook (information for dealers) it indicates incorrectly in multiple places on pages 15 and 17 that the SAE J1772 (USA) connectors are the "industry standard configuration in North America and Europe". That, however, is inaccurate since the European version of the commonly found connector (aka. IEC-62196 Mennekes Type 2) are completely different sizes and pinouts and are not physically compatible. Charging in Europe for the most part is a whole different connector set since most of their stuff is 3-phase.

CCS1 (the US version of the "combo" connector) is meant to be used for DCFC and can also include the bi-directional connectivity features (V2L/V2H/V2G/V2x) only on supported vehicles as there have been some international bi-directional connectivity standards in the works. I have to think and hope Ford is leveraging those standards.

I'm just glad to know the Charge Station Pro connector has been finally confirmed once and for all, thanks to Tom and Ford, to be on the US CCS1 standard (as many of us expected) which plans to take DC power from the truck on the larger combo DC pins for supplying power back to the Intelligent Backup and Home Integration gear in backup mode.

Gary Gattis

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 C Max energi, 2015 C Max energi, 2017 Explore
Occupation
Retired Fire Chief
This video helped clear things up a bit thank you Ford. I presently have a Liviton 40 amp charger for my C Max Energi but I was considering upgrading to the 80 Amp and using the Lightning for house battery back-up. A 320 amp service upgrade now appears to be only a suggestion depending on your current house electrical load and not a minimum requirement. It appears a price of equipment from Sunrun is still not available to determine if the system is worth the cost to me.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
This video helped clear things up a bit thank you Ford. I presently have a Liviton 40 amp charger for my C Max Energi but I was considering upgrading to the 80 Amp and using the Lightning for house battery back-up. A 320 amp service upgrade now appears to be only a suggestion depending on your current house electrical load and not a minimum requirement. It appears a price of equipment from Sunrun is still not available to determine if the system is worth the cost to me.
We should also thank Tom Moloughney for making the video and having the clout to get straight answers out of Ford Motor Company.