• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Nick503955

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat, 2021 Tesla Model Y
Thanks for posting. I was going to put it up later today but you beat me to it. I'll be making at least one more video in the future showing a simulated power outage and me using the system.
Your videos are detailed and insightful, so it's an easy share.

Do you have any info on Vehicle to Grid (V2G) options coming in the future? I saw Emporia has a V2X charger that seems to be delayed to 2024 (https://www.emporiaenergy.com/how-the-emporia-v2x-charger-works).

Will we see many chargers that support more than 48A charging? While that would work for most situations, I've found I really like the 80A charging for back-to-back heavy driving days.

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Journalist
Problem with V2G is there aren't any utilities that have consumer-level programs ready yet, just small pilot programs. Wallbox has the Qusar 2 coming soon and I'm supposed to test one out in the spring.
Not sure 80-amp chargers will have a big uptake. Lucid and Porsche just released their own units, though and I plan to get those soon.

OP
OP

Nick503955

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat, 2021 Tesla Model Y
Problem with V2G is there aren't any utilities that have consumer-level programs ready yet, just small pilot programs. Wallbox has the Qusar 2 coming soon and I'm supposed to test one out in the spring.
Not sure 80-amp chargers will have a big uptake. Lucid and Porsche just released their own units, though and I plan to get those soon.
Makes sense. From my layman perspective, I was hoping the standard would call for a wall connector that only back feeds when there is grid power, similar to most net metering solar setups.

I expect requiring approval of each installation will slow adoption, especially when California could really benefit from tapping into all that stored power sitting in driveways during critical load periods. I've heard electric school buses are candidates for a similar approach.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Is there a reason why we can't push out as much power as the truck can take in? Why is it limited to 9kW instead of the full 19kW that it can pull?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Is there a reason why we can't push out as much power as the truck can take in? Why is it limited to 9kW instead of the full 19kW that it can pull?
The current Ford system uses an D/C to A/C converter that is part of the home integration system vs. using the trucks onboard inverter which is the limit.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The current Ford system uses an D/C to A/C converter that is part of the home integration system vs. using the trucks onboard inverter which is the limit.
Interesting choice by Ford to make the $5k special on par with the $1500 solution. Thank you.

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Journalist
Interesting choice by Ford to make the $5k special on par with the $1500 solution. Thank you.
I doubt Ford is even making any money on this. It is expensive equipment and the R&D must have been a lot also. It's the first of its kind. Future iterations will likely cost less and offer more. That's always the case with new tech.

Last edited:

KennyB123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Thanks for posting. I was going to put it up later today but you beat me to it. I'll be making at least one more video in the future showing a simulated power outage and me using the system.
Hey Tom, thanks for the video! It was super detailed and interesting! I'm getting my 1000 dollar solution installed tomorrow.

Unrelated question - did your wireless Android Auto problems go away? I got my truck a couple weeks ago and I have the same phone as you. It has connected every single time perfectly. Hopefully that's your experience as well now.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I doubt Ford is aven making any money on this. It is expensive equipment and the R&D must have been a lot also. It's the first of its kind. Future iterations will likely cost less and offer more. That's always the case with new tech.
True, I guess I'm just a little too excited about the possibilities and want all of it now :)

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Journalist
Hey Tom, thanks for the video! It was super detailed and interesting! I'm getting my 1000 dollar solution installed tomorrow.

Unrelated question - did your wireless Android Auto problems go away? I got my truck a couple weeks ago and I have the same phone as you. It has connected every single time perfectly. Hopefully that's your experience as well now.
Pro Power Onboard is a great feature - and it came with the truck, so...

No. I still have connectivity issues

tommolog

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Journalist
True, I guess I'm just a little too excited about the possibilities and want all of it now :)
I still think it's a great system and a good solution for some people - particularly those that aren't as cost-sensitive as most are. But I have to be honest to my followers - my honesty is really all I have when I'm competing for views with others online, and if there's a comparable solution for much less money, I have to mention it.

yed19

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2012 RR Sport HSE
My only gripe on this Tom was the comparison of functionality of a $1500 manual transfer switch to the HIS. I think a better comparison would be the Generator system that you had installed prior. My reason for this comparison was that I was in the market for a similar generator setup using Natural Gas and with the FBUP system, I now don't really see a reason for it anymore. It will backup my whole house (minus the AC), it starts up automatically, it will last for days., I don't have to run cords everywhere, etc... I was getting quotes on my house for ~$14K for a natural gas generator... So, if that's the comparison, then we are cheaper than that (especially if you install with a solar setup).

Other than that, this is an awesome video and from now on if someone has questions on it, I will just send them the link ;)

Last edited: