• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

FCSP - if not charging for 2-3 weeks should I turn off the power to the FCSP

itdwebman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 TOYT 4Runner, 2023 Lariat ER
Should I turn off the power to the 100 AMP circuit if not charging for 2-3 weeks? Is it safe to leave the charger powered if you are away for any period of time and not actively using it?
Sponsored

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
It is just as safe as leaving your electric dryer circuit on when you vacation. The reasons for turning it off may be to save electricity (I’m sure it has some parasitic load) and to protect it from power surges. If, for example, you were in the midwest and heard of a major lightning storm coming you might want to turn equipment like that off.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
The amount of energy used for the controls is tiny but it can't hurt, the next time you turn it on, it'll phone into the servers for a health check any missed updates will load.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I measure my FCSP power consumption at 0.05W when not charging. That works out to a little more than 1 Wh/day, or a little more than 1 KWh in three years ($ 0.10 at my current rates, if I wasn't generating the power myself via solar). It's not worth the effort for me to cut power to the charger when not charging. If power surges due to storms and such are a concern, consider investing in a whole house surge suppressor installed at the panel.
After experiencing a Slab leak at the house and a water pump pipe break at the cabin I have checklist that we use.

When we leave house to go to our cabin I have a checklist
1- turn off water main shut off to house
2- turn off clothes dryer breaker
3- turn off water heater breaker
4- turn off EV charger breaker
5- Set AC to 84 degrees
6- Take Dish TV boxes with us
7- Set burglar alarm

When we leave the cabin for the house checklist
1- Turn off shed sub panel main breaker
1a-that turns off well and house water pumps
1b- turns off water treatment system
1c- Turns off EVSE power
2- turn off electric water heater switch
3- set AC to 84 degrees
4- take Dish TV boxes with us
5- Set burglar alarm

OP
OP
itdwebman

itdwebman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 TOYT 4Runner, 2023 Lariat ER
The amount of energy used for the controls is tiny but it can't hurt, the next time you turn it on, it'll phone into the servers for a health check any missed updates will load.
You are the Man of all knowledge - I cycled he breaker and now when I connected with the FCSP it shows the update complete. Now if only I could get OTAs to my truck :)

MurphysLaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat Lightning ER,Cayman,Miata,Q7
Occupation
Systems Engineer
With the solar charging system I've just brought up for my CSP, we do a lot of turning it off and on, and we track use with solar assistant. The CSP appears to use 5-8 watts of power in idle consumption. Probably just the LED's that stay on.
Sponsored