• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Ford needs to follow Stellantis. The new platforms they are launching can support EV, hybrid or combustion drivetrains. You can then adjust the products you're producing to match customer demand.

Hank42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Ford needs to follow Stellantis. The new platforms they are launching can support EV, hybrid or combustion drivetrains. You can then adjust the products you're producing to match customer demand.
It will be interesting which methodology wins out. I personally think the Stellantis approach is a compromised hedge that won't be the best platform for any of the drivetrains it supports.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
It will be interesting which methodology wins out. I personally think the Stellantis approach is a compromised hedge that won't be the best platform for any of the drivetrains it supports.
All you have to do is look at the current Lightning and its competitors. The shortcomings compared to the competition isn't the platform.

Sponsored

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
The vehicles that have adopted that approach - for example, the Kona - end up being pretty mediocre EVs. Electric drive trains offer multiple and meaningful opportunities to create superior vehicles - the Lightning is a good example - but you need a dedicated platform to do that.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Mr. Farley, define "low cost".
His "low" or my "low"?
Farley's dual motor cost me $40K. Elon's dual motor is twice as much. I think Ford's low cost is a lot more affordable. All that said, the only way to ensure real low cost is to let Chinese in without restriction.

Found a Spyshot of the prototype:

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Announces 'Skunkworks-Developed' Low-Cost EV Platform To Rule Them All (ex-Tesla Executive Leads) FF

p.s. F-35 born in Skunk Works was the most expensive program in the Pentagon’s history. And Tesla Executives that promised a $40K CT just released one that is over $100K. Very curious how that combo does affordable for Ford.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
All you have to do is look at the current Lightning and its competitors. The shortcomings compared to the competition isn't the platform.
Im curious, what do you consider the Lightnings shortcomings?

Serious question. Your insight specifically since you work on them. Figure that would be more insightful than an exterior view of what may be perceived and not actual

eRock77

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Pro--1995 Exploder--1929 A Super Coupe
North America will support a minivan type affordable vehicle that looks good.
I think that's debatable. So far every domestic manufacturer and several foreign ones have fielded minivan concepts over the last three decades and had to pull them back because they didn't sell. I think we've seen that nobody in the US can really make a minivan except Dodge. I have one myself, and even now with 300 horsepower it drives like a sports car but it looks like a soccer mom on the way to practice. I've never seen a good looking minivan.

Reactions: N87

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
A 3 row AWD vehicle similar to the Toyota Sienna would be very popular, but not with a huge volume. However, if that Sienna-like-vehicle was marketed as a 3 row SUV with easy access to the 3rd row seats could sell and be very popular. The key is larger opening rear doors.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
The vehicles that have adopted that approach - for example, the Kona - end up being pretty mediocre EVs. Electric drive trains offer multiple and meaningful opportunities to create superior vehicles - the Lightning is a good example - but you need a dedicated platform to do that.
That's true, but I also think body-on-frame vehicles are a very different animal than unibody crossovers. The "ground up" strategy works a lot better for unibody vehicles. For trucks and full size SUVs, an interchangeable frame that can accommodate all three drivetrain configurations, is likely a better strategy.